PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Christmas movie?

MrsbwcMD
2006-12-11, 04:39 PM
'Tis the season! I was watching TV Friday evening, and was returned to the nostalgia of my youth when the claymation adventure "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" came on, complete with the Island of the Misfit Toys. I think my four-month-old son enjoyed it as much as me. Burl Ives just rocked that movie!
My all-time favorite is "The Christmas Story." Truly a holiday tradition in my family. "You'll shoot your eye out!"

TinSoldier
2006-12-11, 04:41 PM
"It's a Wonderful Life".

axraelshelm
2006-12-11, 05:33 PM
the christmas carol.
Any film with charles dickins classic and I'm all for it I love the muppets, scooged, patrick stuert, disney. The story is a classic and is much loved by me as a child and now.

nifty>>virago<<
2006-12-11, 06:47 PM
oh I saw a really great one last night! it was its first showing and its called Snow... I thought it would be horrible but its actually quite interesting....

other than that my favorite christmas movie would have to be Jack Frost- the cartoon version

Tom_Violence
2006-12-11, 07:08 PM
Scrooged, the Bill Murray classic. Hard to say why exactly, but there it is.

Beleriphon
2006-12-12, 12:49 AM
White Christmas with Bing Crosby. My family watches it every year on Christmas at the insistence of my sister. It has some great songs and is a fun little movie to start with.

bosssmiley
2006-12-12, 01:12 AM
"Muppets Christmas Carol"
After the genius of the Muppets, all else is mere fail!

Maurog
2006-12-12, 07:18 AM
"The Nightmare Before Christmas".

Closet_Skeleton
2006-12-12, 08:49 AM
It's a Wonderful Life possibly, I don't like movies about Christmas much, they're as lame as making a film about Halloween.

I want to see a film about drinking whiskey at 12:00 PM Dec 31th after finally getting bored of the presents, that would be more heartwarming...

Marek Haldir
2006-12-12, 10:18 AM
Top 3 Christmas movies

Scrooged - One of Bill Murray's best as mentioned above.
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation - Is it getting a little nipply in here?

and

Die Hard - Hey, it's a christmas movie.

Talon_McScruffles
2006-12-12, 11:01 AM
Die Hard - Hey, it's a christmas movie.

ohhhh yeah...:smallamused:

And A Christmas Story. I know someone in real life who looks just like Ralphie.

Amotis
2006-12-12, 01:35 PM
White Christmas with Bing Crosby. My family watches it every year on Christmas at the insistence of my sister. It has some great songs and is a fun little movie to start with.

Seconded. One of the few Christmas songs that I like. His voice is awesome and awesomer.

pestilenceawaits
2006-12-12, 02:43 PM
I love the old Dr. Seuss Grinch cartoon.

Sailacela
2006-12-12, 08:09 PM
A Christmas Story has been my favorite since the first time I watched it. It's the only Christmas movie I can watch every year without getting bored (although National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is always entertaining as well).

Baerdog7
2006-12-12, 08:27 PM
Ah, jeeze. There's actually a lot of Christmas movies that I really like:

White Christmas
A Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th St. (the old one, although the new one isn't that bad either)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
A Christmas Story (this actually scared me as a smaller kid, particularly the tongue sticking part, but I've watched and enjoyed it immensely in recent years)
and, of course, A Charlie Brown Christmas.

-Baerdog7

Amotis
2006-12-12, 08:28 PM
Ah, jeeze. There's actually a lot of Christmas movies that I really like:

and, of course, A Charlie Brown Christmas.
-Baerdog7

qft

I even liked the dubbed over Scrubs version :smallbiggrin:

Baerdog7
2006-12-12, 09:19 PM
Dubbed over Scrubs version? I must have more information.

-Baerdog7

Callioope
2006-12-12, 09:22 PM
Oh jeez, to pick just one?!

I'll have to rate them. Fourth best, The Nightmare Before Christmas, only because it's so fantastically amazing. But I didn't see it until January '06 so it's never going to be a childhood Christmas memory like the others. Third place - Muppet Christmas Carol. I loved that movie :D I liked to sing along with that song, "the love is gone". Heh. Second place - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer [claymation one]. Family classic. First place - Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas. :D

We watched Nightmare Before Christmas right after the Grinch in my Reading Animation class last year, and it's amazing to see the inspiration that NBC drew from the Grinch. (Watch the Grinch, then watch the scene where Jack finds Christmastown).

It's also a family tradition to watch Home Alone. For some reason, it hasn't gotten old. (just the first one, though. second one is okay. the rest do not exist imho).

Amotis
2006-12-12, 09:25 PM
Not awesomely funny but still cool cause it's like they did it in their spare time and just kept it.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/12/09/a-charlie-brown-christmas-scrubs-style-video/

Evil_Pacifist
2006-12-12, 09:49 PM
The Nightmare Before Christmas!

http://www.allsaintsschool.org/Students/sam/Jack%20Skellington.jpg

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-12, 10:24 PM
Sorry, can't pick just one.

The Santa Clause (the 1st one only. The others deserve to be drowned in eggnog and a stake of holly driven through their heart)
Claymation Christmas
A Christmas Carol (version with Patrick Stewart and the Mickey Mouse one in particular)
Both Charlie Brown ones (what can I say, have always loved the Peanuts shows. Bon Voyage Charlie Brown cracks me up to this day)
Little Matchgirl

And no one outside Georgia probably has a clue who this due is, but Leroy Loves Christmas, taped off of PBS when I was like 8, has always been a must watch. And I swear, commercials were so good back then!

musicnerd
2006-12-12, 11:17 PM
-Rudolph (I own the movie, the doll from the island, and an abominable snowman who roars- yes i know i am a dork)
-Charlie Brown
-It's a Wonderful Life
And all three make me cry. I am a sucker for all things Christmas. :)

Wooter
2006-12-13, 04:15 PM
The Hebrew Hammer.

It counts!

MrsbwcMD
2006-12-13, 05:32 PM
Not awesomely funny but still cool cause it's like they did it in their spare time and just kept it.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/12/09/a-charlie-brown-christmas-scrubs-style-video/

Scrubs is one of my favorite comedies! That was great! I loved the Ted and Todd cameos. Just priceless! And Elliott as Sally--I just love Elliott in general, but it particularly cracked me up to hear her voice come out of little Sally's mouth. Thanks for sharing.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-12-13, 05:35 PM
In order:

-A Xmas Story
-It's a Wonderful Life
-Charlie Brown's Xmas
-The Most Horrible Xmas Ever

smellie_hippie
2006-12-13, 08:23 PM
Muppet Christmas Carol has to be my favorite. I'm the only one in the house who likes 'It's a Wonderful Life"... And I am a fan of Charlie Brown.

Amotis
2006-12-13, 10:05 PM
Scrubs is one of my favorite comedies! That was great! I loved the Ted and Todd cameos. Just priceless! And Elliott as Sally--I just love Elliott in general, but it particularly cracked me up to hear her voice come out of little Sally's mouth. Thanks for sharing.

"...I can't feel my legs."

Haha yeah it was very cool and cute at the same time.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-12-13, 10:19 PM
Either the Jim Carrey Grinch (though the animated one is ok) or Elf

Roland St. Jude
2006-12-13, 10:23 PM
A Charlie Brown Christmas

It's short, it's sweet, the music is fantastic, the message simple, and it's a classic.

Gerrtt
2006-12-14, 12:36 AM
Toss up between A Christmas Story and Charlie Brown's Christmas. I guess Muppet Family Christmas is really good too, but it's not to much a movie as it was a TV special in the late 80's. Good, none the less.

Ravyn
2006-12-18, 12:31 AM
The Snowman, hands down (and I don't mean Frosty the Snowman, I mean the pencil-animated feature based on an old book, where nobody says anything because nobody really needs to). Sometimes it's better without words.

Sereno
2006-12-19, 03:00 PM
Muppet Christmas Carol, first!!!

Then, A Christmas Story.
Then, It's a Wonderful Life.
Then, Christmas Vacation.
Then, The Grinch (Jim Carrey version, followed by cartoon).

Most everything else just follows after....

open_source.exe
2006-12-19, 03:44 PM
Duh, it's obviously the one and only star wars holiday special

ray53208
2006-12-19, 07:52 PM
Badder Santa.

Ermengarde Bearstrong
2006-12-20, 10:46 PM
Since we're counting The Nightmare Before Christmas, I'll vote for that. I also like to watch Blackadder's Christmas Carol when I'm absolutely fed up with all the holiday hoopla - the heartwarming story of how the "nicest and loveliest man in all England" finally wised up and became an utter bastard because "Bad guys have all the fun!" :smallcool: :smallwink: :smallbiggrin:

Logic
2006-12-21, 03:49 AM
<-- Says it all.

slipnslide
2006-12-21, 03:27 PM
Home Alone
A Christmas Story
It's A Wonderful Life

Zonac
2006-12-21, 07:52 PM
Home Alone
Home Alone 2
A Christmas Story
Eloise at christmas time
Santa clause trilogy
How the grinch stole christmas(Jim carry, not cartoon)(P.S. It's on in a few minutes on abc family)
All of the abc family christmas specials
I havn't seen the christmas special, but I know scrubs is the best thing ever to come into existance

Bookman
2006-12-21, 07:55 PM
How the grinch stole christmas(Jim carry, not cartoon)(P.S. It's on in a few minutes on abc family)

BLASPHEMY!

BURN THE WITCH!

Well.....sorta.

I really hate the live action one. The cartoon is good though.

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2006-12-23, 10:06 AM
Damn, now I have a craving to see the Garfield christmas special... Lorenzo, anoint me with your dulcet tones!

...I'm not sure either.

Uh, anything of Peanuts ilk, of course...can't resist the Grinch cartoon...Miracle on 34th, I saw a remake today with Mara Wilson as Susan, it was pretty good too...I remember liking Love Actually a lot, but I haven't seen it in a couple years now...is a Christmas movie though, so I'll toss it in.

You know, I don't think I've ever managed to see It's A Wonderful Life. Yes, I fail.

Jack Squat
2006-12-23, 12:52 PM
Die Hard & Die Hard 2, Robbie the Reindeer, both Hooves of Fire and the Legend of the Lost Tribe (The original UK version, the one with American voiceovers sucks), and Scrooged.

D'Artagnan
2006-12-23, 05:23 PM
Charlie Brown Christmas or A Christmas Story.

"And then he committed a major breach of etiquette by jumping straight to the Triple-Dog-Dare!"

A Pointy Object
2006-12-24, 12:08 AM
1. Scrooged
2. The Nightmare Before Christmas (A Halloween AND Christmas Movie. What More can you ask for?)
3. A Day Without A Santa Claus (I can't explain it. A fat guy riding a reindeer through the south is just amusing. Plus the snow mizer song.)

MrsbwcMD
2006-12-24, 05:09 PM
I remember liking Love Actually a lot, but I haven't seen it in a couple years now...is a Christmas movie though, so I'll toss it in.

Thanks for mentioning that one, too. I just saw it near the beginning of December on TBS, I think. It's one of my favorites of Hugh Grant's, and I absolutely love Colin Firth and Liam Neeson AND Emma Thompson AND Keira Knightley AND Alan Rickman, so it is definitely a winner in my book.

Ermengarde Bearstrong
2006-12-25, 12:06 AM
Geez Louise, am I the only one who saw the Blackadder one?

I remember an old Muppets Christmas special - the one with John Denver; though I can't call myself a Denver fan, it was pretty good as I recall.

I also absolutely love the beginning of the first Addams Family movie where a bunch of carolers are out doing their thing...the singers go through Carol of the Bells and are just starting on Deck the Halls when the camera sloooowly pans up to the top of the house they're in front of - to show the Addamses on the roof; while Morticia and Gomez do their usual PDA, Lurch and Granny dump a boiling cauldron on the singers below. :smallamused:

Well, I thought it was funny. Doesn't count as a Christmas movie though - it was a brief scene, not the entire film.

wellington
2006-12-25, 04:35 AM
What, no love for The Shop around the Corner?

danielf
2006-12-25, 08:16 PM
Christmas Vacation is a good one
http://imdb.com/title/tt0097958/

Hexa_Regina
2006-12-25, 11:18 PM
Definately A Christmas Story.

Who can deny the awesomeness of a Red Ryder BB Gun and the Chinese Turkey?

And my inner-goth casts a cote for The Nightmare Before Christmas because it's multipurpose and appropriotely cute in a dark and gothy way.

Indurain
2006-12-26, 05:05 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Ref yet. A truly classic Christmas movie starring Denis Leary and Kevin Spacey (among others). Still one of the most laugh out loud movies I've ever seen.

Also on my list:

Scrooged
Die Hard(er)
Muppet's Christmas Carol
The Grinch (both versions)
Nightmare Before Christmas
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Home Alone

Just to name a few. But seriously, if you haven't seen The Ref you don't know what you're missing...go...now!

Dispozition
2006-12-26, 05:36 AM
Anything with the Muppets, especially the one with the christmas spirits...I forget what it's called...The original of it is good as well.

Silkenfist
2006-12-26, 08:44 AM
One Vote for Love, Actually

Simultaneously the best Christmas Movie and the best Romantic Movie, I've ever seen. Which has not much to say, given my low consumption of both. The movie's really good, though :) (Gods, I love Bill Nighy ever since)

Scipio
2006-12-26, 12:19 PM
How can no one have mentioned "Silent Night, Deadly Night"? It is a real classic.

Like a lot of people have mentioned "A Christmas Story" would rank very high. "Christmas Vacation" has a lot of funny stuff as well.

TheThan
2006-12-26, 04:20 PM
*ahem*

Santa Claus versus the space mutants

Alright I’m done…

Orrmundur
2007-01-07, 07:33 PM
This thread needs more votes for Die Hard. It is the very definition of awesome and thus deserves to reign supreme over all other Christmas films.

Also, The Star Wars Holiday Special definitely should get another mention. It is one of those films that leaves you glued to the screen, a look of puzzlement frozen upon your face, not knowing whether to laugh or cry. (Unless, of course, you don't like Star Wars, but then your opinion obviously doesn't matter anyway.)

slipnslide
2007-01-07, 07:46 PM
haha....i forgot the original die hard was an xmas movie! good call. die hard rules!

Vespe Ratavo
2007-01-13, 02:42 PM
Nightmare before Xmas
A christmas story.

Nuff said.

elgrabadula
2007-01-13, 04:49 PM
christmas story

no you'll shot your eye out.

join us
http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?THE%20ORDER%20OF%20THE%20STICK
http://www.kevan.org/brain.cgi?erfworld