PDA

View Full Version : Non-Magical Weapon Upgrade

bebelmakor
2013-07-22, 06:36 PM
So here is the deal. I am currently playing in a 3.5 campaign that is set in a world that has lost it's ability to harness magic to make items and weapons. Because of this, there is no magical weapons in the game. That being said, I recall reading in one of the books about non magical weapon upgrades that can be done. The one in particular I'm trying to remember is something about a hidden compartment in the handle of a weapon that one can hide a readied potion in. I don't remember it being the alchemy capsules but it was something a lot like that. Second best would bee a way to stash a wand in the weapon. Any help would be much appreciated.

Andezzar
2013-07-22, 07:05 PM
Hilt Hollow (Dungeonscape p.33)

Don't forget though that potions and wands are magic items. They may not exist in your game world.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-22, 07:14 PM
Another possibility might be in the Eberron Campaign Setting - binding Elementals to items to increase their power.

bebelmakor
2013-07-22, 07:42 PM
Hilt Hollow (Dungeonscape p.33)

Don't forget though that potions and wands are magic items. They may not exist in your game world.

Magic is not gone from the world totally. The art of making potions and wands still exists as does magic as a whole (I myself am actually playing as a favored soul), it is just the art of enchanting weapons has been lost. Mastercraft is there and there are supposedly relics from the old world around but no one has seen or heard from them in centuries. We just hit level 5 and I have a large amount of gold just laying around. I have a ring of force already and am wearing a mithril breastplate. Right now, I'm looking into ways to make my base weapon to be a little more efficient in battle.

On the other note, that was exactly what I was looking for Andezzar. Now the tricky part is which would be better to use, the Hilt Hollow or the Wand Holder for my mace? I already have a wand of Cure Moderate Wounds but would have to buy potions more frequently. Would there ever be a break even point for the trade off of potions vs wands?

Andezzar
2013-07-23, 12:29 AM
Now the tricky part is which would be better to use, the Hilt Hollow or the Wand Holder for my mace? I already have a wand of Cure Moderate Wounds but would have to buy potions more frequently. Would there ever be a break even point for the trade off of potions vs wands?A wand is always cheaper per charge, if you can use it. There is no rule preventing you from having both in the same weapon.

I would not put a wand, or potion that restores hitpoints into the weapon. Those are better used after he battle. Better uses something that enhances your offense or something that makes losing HP more difficult.

mabriss lethe
2013-07-23, 01:45 AM
This would be an interesting world to play a soulknife soulbound weapon ACF psychic warrior

Yogibear41
2013-07-23, 09:02 AM
In one of the dragonlance books, their is another base class called the master(I believe thats what they are called) anyway if they choose one particular specialty they can make great and greater Master work weapons, basically you get a +2 or a +3 to hit instead of just the +1 to hit as a regular masterwork weapon, however they add no extra damage to the weapon. You could go for something like this and add on top some of the unique weapon materials that already do a few extra points of damage due to what they are.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-23, 09:04 AM
I would recomend porting over the mundane weapon enhancements from AvatarD20.

They are really cool, and make mundane weapons able to keep up in higher level play.

https://sites.google.com/site/avatard20/itemenhancement

NevinPL
2013-07-23, 09:43 AM
Dragon 358 has exactly what you're looking for - non-magical improvements for weapons, and armor.
Arms and Equipment Guide has some alchemical items that, mimic some magical improvements.
Complete Adventurer has Weapon Capsules.

Couple of days ago, I saw here thread about this kind of things, but can't find it now :(

Vedhin
2013-07-23, 11:38 AM
The third post here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12795) should help.

bebelmakor
2013-07-23, 02:53 PM
The third post here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12795) should help.

that thread is about to be my best friend in upcoming levels based on our current story line. lots of "protection" money coming in with no way to buy magical items

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-23, 03:05 PM
Oriental Adventures has a Katana with a natural (nonmagical) +2 enhancement bonus.

bebelmakor
2013-07-23, 03:12 PM
Oriental Adventures has a Katana with a natural (nonmagical) +2 enhancement bonus.

Any idea if there might be a mace like that. I'm playing a favored soul of st. Cuthbert.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-23, 03:15 PM
Any idea if there might be a mace like that. I'm playing a favored soul of st. Cuthbert.

Not that i'm aware of. It shouldn't be too hard to convince your DM to allow the same property on a mace though.
If he doesn't it's unlikely he'd allow the katana in the first place i think.

JaronK
2013-07-23, 03:19 PM
Dragon Magazine 358 had an article called The Master's Forge, which allowed for various upgrades to weapons and armor (for example Razor Sharp: a slashing or piercing weapon does +1 damage). So that's one option.

JaronK

Andezzar
2013-07-23, 03:22 PM
Oriental Adventures has a Katana with a natural (nonmagical) +2 enhancement bonus.Are you sure about that? I thought a katana was just a masterwork bastard sword.

ArcturusV
2013-07-23, 03:24 PM
Speaking of OA, that's also one way to get around it. The Samurai's Daisho ability lets you have a magic weapon, but you're not making a magic weapon. It's just ritualistic prayer/sacrifice to ancestor spirits which awakens powers within it. So that might be one way to get around it if you feel like picking up a Samurai class level.

Other being the Ancestral Relic feat. Similar fluff, again, not making a magic weapon but taking an item and using ritualistic prayer to awaken it's latent powers. But that also carries a "must be Good aligned" tag on it.

bebelmakor
2013-07-23, 03:30 PM
Speaking of OA, that's also one way to get around it. The Samurai's Daisho ability lets you have a magic weapon, but you're not making a magic weapon. It's just ritualistic prayer/sacrifice to ancestor spirits which awakens powers within it. So that might be one way to get around it if you feel like picking up a Samurai class level.

Other being the Ancestral Relic feat. Similar fluff, again, not making a magic weapon but taking an item and using ritualistic prayer to awaken it's latent powers. But that also carries a "must be Good aligned" tag on it.

actually I might be able to work something like that into the story depending in the dm. my back story involves St. Cuthbert visiting me as a child in a dream, gifting me my powers and what not. currently I'm trying to regain favor, as an evil mage tricked our rogue into killing an innocent priest. maybe after regaining his favor, he could grant me some kind of retribution weapon

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-23, 03:40 PM
Are you sure about that? I thought a katana was just a masterwork bastard sword.

It's the Kakita Katana (OA, p. 127, 9400gp). It's made by some master smith family.

A nonmagical Kakita katana has a natural
+2 enhancement bonus.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-23, 05:05 PM
Why are katana considered "always masterwork"? Mideval european and japanese weaponsmiths aren't particularly different in terms of quality, both were capable of turning out amazing weapons or crap. The blatant pandering to animu fanboys is obnoxious. A katana just is a bastard sword, end of story. All of the cultural attachment make no difference in terms of efficacy (other than warriors more likely to have weapon focus/specialization which in game terms does not lead to any actual efficacy since those feats blow).

Aside from that, be careful. Messing with the items systems can cause the game to work in funny and unintended ways. This has all the hallmarks of the much maligned "low magic campaign", while still giving casters spell completion items.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-23, 05:15 PM
no magic weapons or armor...but casting exists in full...
good luck

WHY ARE YOU NOT PLAYING A PURE CASTER?!?

NevinPL
2013-07-24, 04:21 AM
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Katanas_are_Underpowered_in_d20
:D

Darth Stabber
2013-07-24, 04:37 AM
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Katanas_are_Underpowered_in_d20
:D

I am familiar, it sums up the issues I have.