PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Core VS. Revised Core Rulebooks. Please Answer ASAP

Warren Peace
2013-07-22, 08:37 PM
Hey I have a quick question ...

I currently have all the 3.5 Core Rulebooks but I can get the revised 3.5 edition core set for a good price. Is it worth it? Is it that much of a difference for game play?

Please let me know asap, time is of the essence.

Thanks again!

eggynack
2013-07-22, 08:41 PM
Are those the new ones? I'm pretty sure that they're really similar. You should be fine with the standard core rule books. I don't even think the rules of the game are changed at all by them, though there might be a couple of things from other books in the new core rule books. I remember the polymorph subschool apparently being moved from the PHB II to PHB I errata for some reason.

Edit: Also, if you need errata, you can find it hereabouts (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a).

Warren Peace
2013-07-22, 09:50 PM
Yes they are the new ones and supposed to be full of revisions and new ways things work and normally they are about 40-50 each and I can get all 3 for about 60. I was just wondering if it was worth it or not.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-22, 09:53 PM
I have a friend that has been buying each as it comes out and so far the only difference we have spotted has been that the new versions have been updated to include the errata.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-22, 10:03 PM
I have a friend that has been buying each as it comes out and so far the only difference we have spotted has been that the new versions have been updated to include the errata.

The rather fabulously spotty errata that barely begins to cover the dysfunction apparent in even just the core rulebooks? That errata?

I dunno. They sound like one of those letters that come in the mail, the ones asking me to donate to my college/university/alumni association. Wait, didn't I already cede you guys all of my worldly possessions?

They'd have to be a hell of a lot more than what they are for me to pay even one-third price for them.

This is entirely IMHO, though. The old books will do just fine, but substantially less shiny/new book smell.

eggynack
2013-07-22, 10:09 PM
Yes they are the new ones and supposed to be full of revisions and new ways things work and normally they are about 40-50 each and I can get all 3 for about 60. I was just wondering if it was worth it or not.
It is probably not worth it. Errata is freely accessible online, and I don't think anything actually new is there. Go in peace with your old timey books.

Karnith
2013-07-22, 10:19 PM
The rather fabulously spotty errata that barely begins to cover the dysfunction apparent in even just the core rulebooks? That errata?
Well, it did make Shapechange slightly less ridiculous, at least.

On-topic, though, errata is freely available and you already have the original books, so paying $60 to make referencing the rules slightly easier probably isn't worth it. Unless you actually need replacement books, for some reason.

Spuddles
2013-07-22, 10:26 PM

It'd be worth it if you need an extra set of books at the table. Can help speed up play.

Warren Peace
2013-07-22, 11:12 PM
It is probably not worth it. Errata is freely accessible online, and I don't think anything actually new is there. Go in peace with your old timey books.

Thanks the old ones will have to do for now until I actually need more. Thanks again

eggynack
2013-07-22, 11:20 PM
Thanks the old ones will have to do for now until I actually need more. Thanks again
I am glad that you found the solace you sought after.

Twilightwyrm
2013-07-22, 11:48 PM

If anything, it may be worth it so, if you don't like them, you can resell them for a handsome profit. Assuming that they aren't a deal from a friend of yours, in which case that may be in poor taste.

HylianKnight
2013-07-23, 12:56 AM
Aren't the new reprints suppose to be of a slightly better quality? I know my interest has been peaked at the idea of durable hardcovers that I'll be able to use for years to come since I don't know when (or if) I'm ever going to leave 3rd edition.

Maginomicon
2013-07-23, 01:04 AM
Get the "Rules Compendium" book instead if you don't have it already. That one book is probably far more effective at doing at what you're expecting the revised books to accomplish.

Keld Denar
2013-07-23, 01:09 AM
I got the reprint for my girlfriend's son who just joined our game. It does LOOK shiney, which is fun, but contentwise it is really a very minor difference.