PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice with post-apocalypse and underground themes.

gr8artist
2013-07-23, 12:23 AM
[Jimbo, Erza/Rooster, KO, Steph, Zajas, etc... STAY OUT]

[TLDNR at bottom in bold]

Alright, so I had a similar thread in the 3.5/d20/PF subforum, but this should work better.
My players have started asking for more interesting challenges. I was new to d&d/PF when we started playing together, though I had GM'd Scion for 4 years. (Never, ever, ever again)
I let them level quickly so I could see how play worked at different tiers, and I gave the same kind of rewards that I gave in Scion. This was a bad call, and made things too easy for them. The campaign fell apart, we played a few others, and I'm currently not DM'ing so I want to get a jump on some in-depth planning.
The upcoming campaign will be a continuation of the one that I had DM'ing, though the players will not know this at the start.

In the old campaign, there were two parts. In the first part, the players were trying to stop cultists from cursing temples. They were also investigating some old draconic religions. This first part came to a conclusion with a final battle between the PC's (and their draconic power) vs the cultists (and their stolen divine power). This ended in a draw, with the cultists wiped out and the PC's petrified for 14 years.
In the second part, the PC's awaken to find the world a much more dangerous place. Monsters on the loose, governments overthrown, and a militant organization called the Blackguards running the show. Now they set out to un-curse all of the old temples one-by-one, while avoiding or slaying the Blackguards as the go. But, one of the players got alignment-changed and during this time they ratted out the group.
Unfortunately, the campaign fell apart before anything came of this, but it provides a nice cliffhanger for the upcoming (third) part of the campaign.

The PC's failed in their quest... No new heroes arise to fend of the Blackguards or release their dark power from the temples that remain cursed. So the world continues to degrade. An event known as the Great Withering sweeps across the earth, causing the clouds to turn dark, the grass and plants to rot, and waters to stagnate.
In fear of this calamity, people retreat to caves and subterranean caverns to build new homes and colonies. They learn to live off fungi and exotic plants, and they bar the entrances with stone and massive wooden doors. They expand by digging tunnels underground, and learn combat to protect themselves from the dangers they find underground. All forms of economy collapse, and all exchanges are handled on the barter system, with the primary unit being 1 trail ration. Libraries and arcane colleges are practically nonexistent.
Generations of living underground have changed the way the races develop, and almost everyone has some kind of darkvision and light sensitivity. The poor food and ever-present toxins lower the expected lifespans of all the races, though the normally long-lived races such as Elves and Dwarves suffer to a much greater degree.

Now, this is the world I want to make. I'm not sure how to implement many of these changes, and I'm sure there are lots of things I may be forgetting/overlooking. I want to include ruins from the earlier parts of the campaign, and possibly one or two ageless NPC's from before.
So, I'm looking for suggestions/ideas on how to develop this world and the people that live in it... Interesting monsters, templates, changes, cultures, hazards... Everything that might pertain to an underground or post-apocalyptic campaign setting.

gr8artist
2013-07-23, 12:40 AM
The campaign will be Pathfinder, with 3.5 options grandfathered in on a case-by-case basis. Here are my thoughts so far...
1. I want the PC's to start off with NPC class levels. They aren't adventurers yet, they're hunters, town militia, and craftsmen. That way, they can level at a normal rate, but I can make low-level challenges more interesting for a longer time. They can re-train these NPC levels into standard class levels after meeting an adventurer from the world before. Re-training must be done in a similar class... expert to rogue/bard, warrior to fighter/barbarian, etc. Commoner gets a slight perk in that commoner levels can be retrained into anything.
2. There hasn't been enough time for the races to evolve too much, mostly increased night vision and light sensitivity, and new combat training (aberrations instead of giants or goblins, for example).
3. The campaign will start with a short in-town session where the players can familiarize themselves with the culture and settings. Game 2, they'll hear of a messenger from the nearest town. The neighboring village is in danger, and sending out a cry for help. Their hometown will randomly choose villagers to send via drawing lots, and will gather whatever supplies and items they can spare. Obviously, the "randomly" chosen villagers will be the PC's. They will have barely enough rations for the journey, and starting gear randomly chosen. This gear will be thrown in a large pile, and each player can take the items he needs most. Each player will be allowed one heirloom or relic item (that will probably become magical at some point).
4. I'll implement some kind of balancing factor for the different classes. Right now, I'm thinking of giving extra ability score boosts to low-tier/MAD classes, and increasing the casting time and DC for spells.
5. Several feats will get re-works to make them more useful.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-07-25, 03:07 PM
So, I'm looking for suggestions/ideas on how to develop this world and the people that live in it... Interesting monsters, templates, changes, cultures, hazards... Everything that might pertain to an underground or post-apocalyptic campaign setting.

Make all the critters omnivorous, and don't use a food chain. Make it quite obvious that even large, mean monsters can still get eaten by swarms of smaller ones. Also make all of the large predators, even the largest ones, eat fungus anytime they're not able to find something else to eat. This will solve most of the unrealistic food chain problems.

gr8artist
2013-07-25, 11:45 PM
Interesting. I'll keep this in mind, although I'm not sure how to introduce the information. My group doesn't really focus on... ecology. I suppose some kind of mystery or investigation could reveal this. It's information relevant mostly to low level creatures, which isn't my forte'. I'll work on it, though.

Sabeki
2013-07-26, 01:46 AM
Check out metro, it's not medieval, but it still has a good underground setting

Alexkubel
2013-07-26, 09:09 AM
it all depends on what level of stone cutting is available, you could hollow entire mountains or build cities in great caves, if your stone masons are good enough.

gr8artist
2013-07-27, 10:03 AM
"Metro"? Could you provide a little more info, or perhaps a link?

And regarding the stonecutting... Dwarves and Gnomes in the days of old were accomplished sculptors, and so the older parts of the settlements will be much nicer than the new parts; with the perils of the world growing more dire, expansions became more and more rushed, and less and less pretty.
Either way, all the settlements (except goblins, who -for reasons I might not want to go into- are ridiculously hard to kill) will be underground. Only ruins from before the Withering will be found up top, and other than the occasional relic, the group won't find anything there.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-07-27, 05:16 PM
"Metro"? Could you provide a little more info, or perhaps a link?

Metro 2033: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Qou3vKcdlI4&t=108

Metro Last Light: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XLTgqeZjrhw&t=59

And here's TVTropes, which is more in-depth than Wikipedia: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/Metro2033