PDA

View Full Version : Are any of the Drow PRc's actually "decent?"

CyberThread
2013-07-23, 12:40 AM
are any of the drow based prc's any all that decent to use as intended?

The Viscount
2013-07-23, 10:43 AM
Insidious Corrupter could be decent, but only in the right kind of game.

Dread Fang of Lolth isn't bad, but the capstone of taking a full round during surprise round or a standard if you are surprised is great.

I personally like Eye of Lolth, and find it pretty useful.

Arachnomancer is rather weird at 8 levels, but not bad.

Granted, none of these is worth eating the +2 LA for playing drow, but they're probably worth playing lesser drow or half-drow.

Psyren
2013-07-23, 12:15 PM
I like the warlock one. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070430a&page=3) It won't win any awards but it does get points for being unique.

dantiesilva
2013-07-23, 12:19 PM
If you have no problem being a femlae I built one with the help of Debihuman that takes in the essence the books made.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15282392&postcount=20

Hope you enjoy.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-07-23, 12:50 PM
Arachne from Faiths and Pantheons has some ugly requirements but is otherwise not too shabby. Dominate male drow is a terrible ability, but they get a familiar to toy with.

CyberThread
2013-07-23, 03:07 PM
I actually like that eyes of lloth bit

Spuddles
2013-07-23, 04:39 PM
There's a drow splatbook with a caster prestige class. It exchanged d2 HD for 8/5 casting.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-23, 06:21 PM
I like Insidious Corrupter (but mostly for use with npcs, honestly), and I regularly adapt it for non-drow races that have similar themes of deception and intrigue.

There was um...Drow Judicator. I just love those abilities. It's from Underdark FR supplement, but isn't particularly tied to the setting.

I remember this one cool PrC/template for clerics of Lolth that secretly aspired to become undead, the better to rule their cities eternally from behind the scenes. If I remember correctly, it had some awesome fluff to the effect of replacing their body fluids with a mixture of spider venom and liquid spidersilk. It was third party, though, and I can't remember the name for the life of me. Might also have been 3.0 vintage. Gonna have to look for that book.

EDIT: And time for my traditional mention of the fact that there are two non-identical PrC named Arachnomancer, one from DotU and the other from the Underdark supplement. They are both pretty interesting, with differing numbers of levels, and some nice class features. One of them, can't remember which, gave a poisonous touch with seemingly unlimited uses, very nice.

Arcanist
2013-07-23, 06:30 PM
I like the warlock one. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070430a&page=3) It won't win any awards but it does get points for being unique.

I still stand by the belief that the class should, in no way be associated strictly to the Drow since, for the most part, the class references them and their Goddess only in fluff. :smallannoyed:

ArqArturo
2013-07-23, 06:32 PM
Wasn't there one that you could become an ooze, or throw pieces of ooze slime at your enemies?.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-23, 06:35 PM
Wasn't there one that you could become an ooze, or throw pieces of ooze slime at your enemies?.

Hmm. Ganadaur (spelling?) was the drow god connected to oozes, and there was some kind of template or monster or PrC or something...maybe in Monsters of Faerun?

ZamielVanWeber
2013-07-23, 06:35 PM
Oozemaster is a 3.0 from Masters of the Wild. Kinda meh power wise, but cool flavor/class abilities.

Karnith
2013-07-23, 06:55 PM
Hmm. Ganadaur (spelling?) was the drow god connected to oozes, and there was some kind of template or monster or PrC or something...maybe in Monsters of Faerun?
The PrC in question is probably Slime Lord, in the Player's Guide to Faerun, though it's not drow-specific. Ghaunadar is a member of the drow pantheon, but he's not really a drow god, so any worshiper of Ghaunadar can enter.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-23, 06:59 PM
The PrC in question is probably Slime Lord, in the Player's Guide to Faerun, though it's not drow-specific. Ghaunadar is a member of the drow pantheon, but he's not really a drow god.

Yeah, his inclusion in there always was a little random, IMHO. But then, there's the drow for you. Think you know them, and then...curveball.:smallsmile:

Big Fau
2013-07-23, 07:17 PM
I still stand by the belief that the class should, in no way be associated strictly to the Drow since, for the most part, the class references them and their Goddess only in fluff. :smallannoyed:

Yeah, I would like the PrC if not for that part of the fluff (it does have the Yochlol from FC1 as a possible bind, but one out of several does not make it a Lolth PrC).

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-23, 07:32 PM
Actually, that PrC, Demonbinder was it, would be a good candidate for being stripped down, gutted of demon references, and used as a chassis for a more general, setting/flavor appropriate set of binds. Could be pretty useful way to reward a more unique approach to warlocking (you know, one that doesn't bind naberius in the morning and shake hands with Mephistopheles at night, hehe).

*adds to notebook*

Talya
2013-07-23, 08:16 PM
Rather than take PRCs, go with a single class Drow Warblade or Crusader.

Then take all the feats in the Underdark sourcebook that key off drow SLAs...they actually are quite good if you start stacking them up.

In the end, you are a warblade or crusader with a pretty respectable bit of spellcasting capability.

CyberThread
2013-07-23, 09:46 PM
but...none of the normal things that make a melee, worth being melee.

Arcanist
2013-07-23, 10:07 PM
Rather than take PRCs, go with a single class Drow Warblade or Crusader.

Then take all the feats in the Underdark sourcebook that key off drow SLAs...they actually are quite good if you start stacking them up.

In the end, you are a warblade or crusader with a pretty respectable bit of spellcasting capability.

I'm curious how you would use your Drow abilities in combat, without letting them get completely overshadowed by your maneuvers :smallconfused:

Big Fau
2013-07-23, 10:25 PM
I'm curious how you would use your Drow abilities in combat, without letting them get completely overshadowed by your maneuvers :smallconfused:

Heh heheh hahah, puns.

Venger
2013-07-23, 11:02 PM
There's a drow splatbook with a caster prestige class. It exchanged d2 HD for 8/5 casting.

I feel like you transposed or left out some numbers or something here. however, I am pretty sure you're talking about arachnomancer, which is pretty awesome

oozemaster (motw) throws slime

but slimelord has a picture of a drow (but no prereq of being a drow)

Talya
2013-07-23, 11:57 PM

Dazzling Fire: Faerie Fire can dazzle target. (Gain one use of Faerie Fire)
Radiant Flicker: Faerie Fire can grant concealment to target. (Gain one use of faerie fire)
Deceptive Illumination: Convert Dancing Lights to Silent Image (gain one use of dancing lights)
Fascinating Illumination: Convert Dancing Lights to Hypnotic Pattern (gain use of dancing lights)
Instinctive Darkness: Darkness SLA is immediate action, no AOO (Gain one use of darkness)
Intensify Darkness: Convert Darkness to Deeper Darkness (Gain one use of darkness)
Highborn Drow: Add Detect Good, Detect Magic, and Levitate as SLAs.
Master of Shadow: Gain extra uses of all SLAs, improve caster level by +2.
Magic in the blood: all SLAs start with 3 uses (and go up from there!)

You can't take them all, but they'd add a fair bit of versatility. And the warblade doesn't need the feats for combat (not to mention, they get bonus feats).

Spuddles
2013-07-24, 12:02 AM
I feel like you transposed or left out some numbers or something here. however, I am pretty sure you're talking about arachnomancer, which is pretty awesome

Nope, it's none of those things, it's 3rd party. 1d2 HD and 8/5 casting. Can't remember where it's found though. It was a big 'ole book of drow and drow titties.

Big Fau
2013-07-24, 12:10 AM
Dazzling Fire: Faerie Fire can dazzle target. (Gain one use of Faerie Fire)
Radiant Flicker: Faerie Fire can grant concealment to target. (Gain one use of faerie fire)
Deceptive Illumination: Convert Dancing Lights to Silent Image (gain one use of dancing lights)
Fascinating Illumination: Convert Dancing Lights to Hypnotic Pattern (gain use of dancing lights)
Instinctive Darkness: Darkness SLA is immediate action, no AOO (Gain one use of darkness)
Intensify Darkness: Convert Darkness to Deeper Darkness (Gain one use of darkness)
Highborn Drow: Add Detect Good, Detect Magic, and Levitate as SLAs.
Master of Shadow: Gain extra uses of all SLAs, improve caster level by +2.
Magic in the blood: all SLAs start with 3 uses (and go up from there!)

You can't take them all, but they'd add a fair bit of versatility. And the warblade doesn't need the feats for combat (not to mention, they get bonus feats).

Although it does mean no Power Attack or Stormguard Warrior fun.

Spuddles
2013-07-24, 12:16 AM
Although it does mean no Power Attack or Stormguard Warrior fun.

But you can sparkle a few times a day!

Venger
2013-07-24, 12:19 AM
Nope, it's none of those things, it's 3rd party. 1d2 HD and 8/5 casting. Can't remember where it's found though. It was a big 'ole book of drow and drow titties.
I hope you'll forgive me. My intention isn't to sound rude, but I've been over this in my head and there isn't really any other way for me to ask my questions.

I... can't make sense of what you're saying. the class gives you a d2 hit die? it is 5 levels long and gives 8 levels of spellcaster progression? I can't wrap my head around this. I know you don't recall the specific book, but is there anything that you could tell us about it that might help us google it to see where it is?

TuggyNE
2013-07-24, 12:33 AM
Nope, it's none of those things, it's 3rd party. 1d2 HD and 8/5 casting.

And third party lives up to its reputation again! Nice*.

*By which I mean "I devoutly pray that I shall never see a book that has such horrendous attempts at balance".

Spuddles
2013-07-24, 01:55 AM
I hope you'll forgive me. My intention isn't to sound rude, but I've been over this in my head and there isn't really any other way for me to ask my questions.

I... can't make sense of what you're saying. the class gives you a d2 hit die? it is 5 levels long and gives 8 levels of spellcaster progression? I can't wrap my head around this. I know you don't recall the specific book, but is there anything that you could tell us about it that might help us google it to see where it is?

I'm pretty sure it was Green Ronin's Plot & Poison Guidebook to the Drow.

It was a prestige class centered around suitably drowish things- arcane magic and nipple clamps- that progressed a spellcasting class 2 levels every other level, but you got to flip a quarter for your hit points. d2 hit die.

I think you had to make concentration checks or take damage or something when casting spells, but they were relatively trivial. There also may have been concentration checks to retain spell slots after casting out of them.

And third party lives up to its reputation again! Nice*.

*By which I mean "I devoutly pray that I shall never see a book that has such horrendous attempts at balance".

But drow titties!

[edit]
prestige class is called the spell addict, here's a thread discussing it:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?43264-Is-the-Spell-Addict-from-quot-Plot-amp-Poison-quot-too-powerful