PDA

View Full Version : Spellscale Blood Quickening Bahamut/Tiamat effect on spells?

Maginomicon
2013-07-23, 12:49 AM
Spellscales have a racial ability called "Blood Quickening" wherein at the start of the day they can choose a draconic deity and receive a benefit for that day based on that deity. The choices for Bahamut and Tiamat are essentially identical but alignment-reversed. Bahamut's ability states:

Meditating upon the King of the Good Dragons enhances a spellscale’s ability to oppose evil creatures. When he casts a spell, he can choose any creature targeted by or within the area of that spell. If the selected creature is evil, the spell deals 2d6 points of damage to it in addition to the spell’s normal effects. A spellscale can use this ability three times on the day this meditation is performed.
It seems to me that it's not a "blanket" +2d6 spell damage against "all" evil in the area, but instead +2d6 spell damage against a single creature chosen at the time of casting.

What I want to know is:

Is the 2d6 damage an automatic effect that happens at the time of casting, or is it an augmentation to existing damage dealt?

What would happen to the spell if I use this ability when I cast Manyjaws?
What would happen to the spell if I use this ability when I cast Sleep?

By the looks of it, 2d6 untyped damage would affect a single target in the area of either spell with no save, and then the spell's normal effect comes into play. Is that right?

Spuddles
2013-07-23, 01:13 AM
1. The damage happens whether you're casting cure light wounds, slow, or fireball, vs. one target of your choice (that happens to be evil).

a. a creature targeted by one of your manyjaws takes 2d6 damage, if they're evil

b. the creature takes 2d6 damage and must save vs sleep. the damage from the spell doesn't wake it up, just like getting shot with a drow sleep arrow doesn't wake you up.

Maginomicon
2013-08-18, 01:29 PM
1. The damage happens whether you're casting cure light wounds, slow, or fireball, vs. one target of your choice (that happens to be evil).

a. a creature targeted by one of your manyjaws takes 2d6 damage, if they're evil

b. the creature takes 2d6 damage and must save vs sleep. the damage from the spell doesn't wake it up, just like getting shot with a drow sleep arrow doesn't wake you up.

Okay... so imagine the sneak-attack potential now that you can make any non-damaging attack-roll-using spell a sneak-attackable spell.

CyberThread
2013-08-18, 01:48 PM
It is a glorified smite spell :P

Diarmuid
2013-08-18, 02:54 PM
Okay... so imagine the sneak-attack potential now that you can make any non-damaging attack-roll-using spell a sneak-attackable spell.

You can already sneak attack with non dmging spells. Things like ray of enfeeblement or enervation are used as the examples I think.