PDA

View Full Version : Rogue(7)/Masterthrower(5) needs help leveling

splungedude
2013-07-23, 07:34 AM
Hi everyone, long time lurker here. Been using this forum to find answers to my DnD related questions for a long time now, but the problem I have right now has got me stumped. So I decided to finally sign up and ask it myself.

Here it goes:

I'm playing in a low magic/low tech campaign, this basically boils down to that the strongest casters in our party are the ranger and the paladin and that the more intricate weaponry and armors don't exist (things like full plates, crossbows, chain shirts etc.) This also means magic weapons, armors and items are extremely rare.

I just finished the Masterthrower PrC and now I'm looking for something new that keeps going in the more SA more damage direction. Here is where I need your help.

Also, we probably won't reach level 20, the campaign will most likely end around 15 or 16, so I'm looking for something with a short build up.

Feats:
Pointblank shot, Precise shot, Far shot, Exotic weapon (shuriken), Weapon focus (shuriken), Craven, Quick draw, Improved critical (shuriken) and Snatch arrows

MT tricks:
Sneaky shot, Palm throw, Weak spot

the character is Human Chaotic Neutral

Any help, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-23, 07:48 AM
Hmm...although they lack more SA, I've always liked Exotic Weapon Master or Battle Trickster. Both have fairly easy prerequisites, and if you're already using skill tricks, Battle Trickster in particular is pretty neat.

If you're looking to grab more Master Thrower abilities, might I suggest Uncanny Trickster? It'd let you grab one more thrown weapon trick.

Feytalist
2013-07-23, 08:19 AM
Shame you're not using daggers, because Invisible Blade would dovetail nicely with that build. A nice 5-level class with improved feint capability and dagger-only sneak attack which seems just right for your level of optimisation.

Otherwise... Uncanny Trickster? Pick up a few skill tricks like sudden draw and advance SA. Also maybe get another trick, if your DM likes you.

GeekGirl
2013-07-23, 08:29 AM
Two-weapon fighting a rapid shot. You can use both with small throwing weapons like that. Best way to get more sneak attack is more attacks. With Palm throw, you should be able to hit with the negative from both feats.

splungedude
2013-07-23, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Hmm...although they lack more SA, I've always liked Exotic Weapon Master or Battle Trickster. Both have fairly easy prerequisites, and if you're already using skill tricks, Battle Trickster in particular is pretty neat.

If you're looking to grab more Master Thrower abilities, might I suggest Uncanny Trickster? It'd let you grab one more thrown weapon trick.

We've never used skill tricks or Complete Scoundrel in my group, not sure why, I'll ask my DM.

Shame you're not using daggers, because Invisible Blade would dovetail nicely with that build. A nice 5-level class with improved feint capability and dagger-only sneak attack which seems just right for your level of optimisation.

I know! I had a good reason to choose shurikens as my main weapons, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was...

Two-weapon fighting a rapid shot. You can use both with small throwing weapons like that. Best way to get more sneak attack is more attacks. With Palm throw, you should be able to hit with the negative from both feats.

I've thought about picking up two-weapon fighting and rapid shot, in conjunction with mc'ing to either fighter or ranger. The problem there though is that I won't be able to sneak attack as often as I do now. With the master thrower sneaky throw and palm throw I can throw 2 shurikens that deal a total 8d6 SA. The downside, I have to use my move action on a slight of hand check to deny my enemy his dex. Two-weapon fighting and rapid shot only work when making a full round attack, this'll leave me without a move action to distract my enemy.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-23, 01:12 PM
You could go for the greater manyshot route, and try to get into that as quickly as possible (ranger). This allows multiple attacks as a standard action, with sneak attack expressly allowed on each hit.

Anthrowhale
2013-07-23, 06:02 PM
Warblade 1 allows you to switch feats to daggers (or any other weapon) freely. It also gives you access to either Iron Heart Surge or White Raven Tactics.

Exotic Weapon Master 1 allows you to eliminate the AOO for a ranged weapon in melee combat.

If you can get Martial Monk (from Dragon Magazine), it would let you choose two prereq-free feats in the first two levels. Obvious choices are Power Throw and Improved Combat Expertise which can feed off the very easy attack rolls you have to either do more damage or improve your AC.

I expect Sneaky Shot to be less useful with more levels as you are foregoing more iterative attacks and care less about denying dex.

Urpriest
2013-07-23, 06:24 PM
Since your campaign is low-magic, what sort of modification is your DM using in order to bring the numbers up to par? In particular, since in normal D&D attack bonus mostly scales with BAB but AC scales with magic items and spells, what is your DM doing to correct that?

I ask because if your DM's AC formula is low then it might be good to pick up ways to get more attacks or more damage while if it's high you'll want to boost your chance to hit with more BAB.