PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] New Base Class - The Jaunter

Tryxx
2013-07-23, 11:04 AM
(Inspired by the prestige class found in the adventure book Expedition to the Demon Web Pits, pg. 172)

That's really all I'm working with as inspiration. I've always liked the traveling character archetype, but have never really been a fan of bards, rangers, and the like. It was my goal to give that sort of idea some new flavor, but really don't know how well I did with actual competency of the class in various party roles. If possible, that's what I'm looking for feedback on (along with general balance issues).

Edit:

Added minor description to post. 7/23/13 11:29
Added second version of the class after kestrel404's post
Did lots of fixing with typos and other junk
Scrapped the two original revisions
Added what I hope to be a final version to revise
Removed that final revision because I can't figure out how to balance the dealings with outsiders I tried to include / added new version.

Alignment
Any.

Hit Die
d8.

Class Skills

Skill Points at 1st Level
(8 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
8 + Int modifier.

The jaunter's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), Use Rope (Dex).

Table: The Jaunter
Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Ref Will Special
1st +0 +0 +2 +2 Touch Teleportation, Trapfinding
2nd +1 +0 +3 +3 Evasion
3rd +2 +1 +3 +3 Outsider Personality
4th +3 +1 +4 +4 Uncanny Dodge
5th +3 +1 +4 +4 Planar Familiar, Breach Sense
6th +4 +2 +5 +5 Improved Reaction +2
7th +5 +2 +5 +5 Dimension Door
8th +6/+1 +2 +6 +6 Improved Uncanny Dodge
9th +6/+1 +3 +6 +6 Plane Shift, Teleport
10th +7/+2 +3 +7 +7 Improved Evasion
11th +8/+3 +3 +7 +7 Rough Ride
12th +9/+4 +4 +8 +8 Fast Movement 10 ft.
13th +9/+4 +4 +8 +8 Expeditious Dodge
14th +10/+5 +4 +9 +9 Quick Exit
15th +11/+6/+1 +5 +9 +9 Home is Where the Feet Are
16th +12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +10 Improved Reaction +4
17th +12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +10 Locate Subject
18th +13/+8/+3 +6 +11 +11 Always Home
19th +14/+9/+4 +6 +11 +11 Astral Projection
20th +15/+10/+5 +6 +12 +12 Freedom of Movement

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the jaunter.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Jaunters are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and light and medium armor and shields (except tower shields).

Bonus Languages
A jaunter may substitute Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Ignan, or Infernal for one of the bonus languages available to the character because of her race.

Touch Teleportation (Su): (Credit to kestrel404) You gain the ability to teleport any creature you touch 5' in any direction, but only as long as you have line of sight to the destination. The target cannot be teleported into a solid object this way, but may be teleported off of the ground (which may result in falling damage, see below). Unwilling targets must be hit with a melee touch attack. The distance you teleport the target increases to 10' at 2nd level, and by an additional 5' at every even level, to a maximum of 50' at 18th level.

Creatures with a fly speed get a DC 15 reflex saving throw to catch themselves and negate this damage.

Trapfinding (Ex): You can use the Search skill to locate traps with a DC higher than 20, and you can use Disable Device to bypass a trap or disarm magic traps. See the rogue class feature (PH 50).

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, a jaunter can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the jaunter is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless jaunter does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Outsider Personality (Ex): You gain a +1 circumstance bonus in your social dealings with outsiders. Your Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Intimidate, Perform, and Sense Motive checks gain a +1 circumstance bonus when involving outsiders and elementals. This bonus increases to +2 at 5th level, +3 at 10th, +4 at 15th level, to a maximum of +5 at 20th level. You also innately negate penalties to your Charisma based checks based on planar alignment traits.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a jaunter can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

If a jaunter already has uncanny dodge from a different class she automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Planar Familiar: You can obtain a familiar in the same manner as a sorcerer or wizard (see page 52 of the Player's Handbook). As with a sorcerer or wizard, obtaining a familiar takes 24 hours and uses up magic materials worth 100gp. Determine familiar abilities that depend on your arcane caster level by instead using your jaunter level. In addition to the standard creatures, you may also choose from the creatures listed on page 41 of the Planar Handbook with an alignment up to one step away from yours on each of the alignment axes.

Breach Sense (Ex/Su): A 5th-level jaunter gains an intuitive sense that alerts her of the imminent opening of a nearby conduit between the planes. She automatically detects the activation of any portal or the opening of any planar breach within 30 feet of her, as well as any spell or effect that crosses over or through the planes (such as summon monster, teleport, or plane shift) used within 30 feet of her. The jaunter may immediately attempt a DC 25 Spot check to pinpoint the exact location of the portal, breach, or effect, as long as she has line of sight to it. If the jaunter succeeds in the Spot check to pinpoint the conduit, once per day she may delay travel through it for incoming or outgoing creatures for one round as a swift action.

Improved Reaction (Ex): At 6thlevel, a jaunter gains a +2 bonus on initiative checks. At 16th level, the bonus increases to +4. This bonus stacks with the benefit provided by the Improved Initiative feat.

Dimension Door (Sp): At 7th level and higher, you can use dimension door as the spell to move up to 30 feet per day per jaunter level you possess. You need not move the entire distance at once; you can move in increments of 10 feet any number of times until the total distance has been traversed.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A jaunter of 9th level or higher can no longer be flanked.

If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum jaunter level required to flank the character.

Plane Shift (Sp): As plane shift the spell 3 times per day except the maximum number of willing creatures is 1 willing creature per four jaunter class levels.

Teleport (Sp): As teleport the spell 3 times per day except the maximum number of willing creatures is 1 willing creature per four jaunter class levels.

Improved Evasion (Ex): This ability works like evasion, except that while the jaunter still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless jaunter does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Rough Ride (Su): A successful critical hit from your melee touch attack to transport an unwilling target allows you to hurl the touched creature 10' from the destination it was transported to. The total distance from where the creature was transported to and the distance the creature is hurled cannot exceed the maximum range for your touch teleportation ability. The direction the creature is hurled toward is consistent with your line of sight when transporting the creature. When hurled into a solid object the creature takes 1d6 points of damage per 10' of distance between the transported location the creature was hurled from and the solid object.

Creatures with a fly speed get a DC 15 reflex saving throw to keep themselves from being hurled and moving from the destination they were transported to.

You may also activate this ability by succeeding with making a melee touch attack with each hand on the unwilling target; these attacks take the normal two weapon fighting penalties as unarmed strikes but are each still treated as touch attacks in that they ignore the unwilling targets armor bonus, shield bonus, and natural armor bonus. You must have both hands free to complete this action.

Fast Movement (Ex): When you reach 4th level, your land speed increases by 10 feet. This benefit only applies when you are wearing no armor, light armor, medium armor, and are not carrying a heavy load.

Expeditious Dodge (Ex): When you move 40 feet or more in a single turn, you gain a +2 dodge bonus to your Armor Class until the beginning of your next turn.

Quick Exit (Ex): Once per round you may use your touch teleportation ability to transport yourself as a swift action.

Home Is Where the Feet Are (Ex): This ability functions like a continual avoid planar effects spell.

Locate Subject (Sp): This ability functions like discern location with several differences. It may only be used to locate a creature whose name is known to you, further the creature must have an attitude of indifferent, friendly, or helpful attitude in relation to the jaunter, and the jaunter must have willingly transported the creature at one time. This ability bypasses mind blank, and normal means of protection from scrying or location. The ability reveals the location (place, name, business name, building name, or the like), community, county (or similar political division), country, continent, and the plane of existence where the target lies. This ability is usable at will.

Always Home (Ex): At 18th level you gain the Outsider (Native) type and subtype. You do not lose the native subtype despite whatever plane you may currently occupy. Effectively, you no longer gain the extraplanar subtype. In addition you gain a constant +5 enhancement bonus on Balance, Climb, Jump, Swim and Tumble checks when in a planar environment.

Astral Projection (Sp): This ability functions like astral projection except the maximum number of willing creatures you can transport is 1 creature per four jaunter class levels. This ability is usable once per day.

Freedom of Movement (Su): You gain freedom of movement as a continual effect.

kestrel404
2013-07-23, 12:36 PM
A handful of SLAs does not a class make. This is underpowered, and overspecialized. In most situations you'd usually find in 3.5, you'd probably have more fun playing a Samurai.

At 1st level, give him something along the lines of:
Touch Teleportation (Su) - You gain the ability to teleport any creature you touch 5' in any direction, but only as long as you have line of sight to the destination. The target cannot be teleported into a solid object this way, but may be teleported off of the ground (which may result in falling damage, see below). Unwilling targets must be hit with a melee touch attack. The distance you teleport the target increases to 10' at 2nd level, and by an additional 5' at every even level, to a maximum of 50' at 18th level.

This gives the Jaunter something unique at 1st level, and a REASON to be in the class. You'll also note that the falling damage from the ability scales, but is actually slower than, say, a Warlock's eldritch blast. The utility from the power balances out the low damage yield, and a tactically minded player can do much better than teleporting enemies straight up.

On top of that, to make the class really T3, I'd give him evasion at 2nd level, and spell casting as a Bard of equal level, with a spell list containing all Conjuration spells on of the Wizard list. Alternately, make him a psion and give him PP & Powers as a psychic warrior, but off of the Nomad list.

But that's only if you want him at T3. Without that, and with the Touch Teleportation power, he's probably T4, which is playable.

Hope that helps.

Tryxx
2013-07-23, 02:02 PM
A handful of SLAs does not a class make. This is underpowered, and overspecialized. In most situations you'd usually find in 3.5, you'd probably have more fun playing a Samurai.

At 1st level, give him something along the lines of:
Touch Teleportation (Su) - You gain the ability to teleport any creature you touch 5' in any direction, but only as long as you have line of sight to the destination. The target cannot be teleported into a solid object this way, but may be teleported off of the ground (which may result in falling damage, see below). Unwilling targets must be hit with a melee touch attack. The distance you teleport the target increases to 10' at 2nd level, and by an additional 5' at every even level, to a maximum of 50' at 18th level.

This gives the Jaunter something unique at 1st level, and a REASON to be in the class. You'll also note that the falling damage from the ability scales, but is actually slower than, say, a Warlock's eldritch blast. The utility from the power balances out the low damage yield, and a tactically minded player can do much better than teleporting enemies straight up.

On top of that, to make the class really T3, I'd give him evasion at 2nd level, and spell casting as a Bard of equal level, with a spell list containing all Conjuration spells on of the Wizard list. Alternately, make him a psion and give him PP & Powers as a psychic warrior, but off of the Nomad list.

But that's only if you want him at T3. Without that, and with the Touch Teleportation power, he's probably T4, which is playable.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, that helps a lot. I pretty well got stuck on the travel abilities, and the movement niche from the prestige class got lost in the base class. A usable ability with the possibility to cause damage would be a god send, and Evasion fits well.

I'm going to have to peruse the conjuration school again to figure out how to handle the spells/SLA's. I was pretty hooked to the "travel powers" idea from the original class. Having a list of powers with a point cost may be easier to handle, but I was never really sure how to handle the point pool. My original thought was 1 point + 1 for every two jaunter levels + ability modifier, and having the "travel powers" scale from 1 to 5 points for usage. My biggest concern was the actual list. It was originally going to be the following for the "travel powers", with summon monster and planar ally as spell like abilities in the class features, along with breach sense, fast movement (10 ft.), and freedom of movement:

{table="head"]Head|Spell|Points
Row1|Expeditious Retreat|1
Row2|Benign Transposition|1
Row3|Locate Object|1
Row4|Baleful Transposition|1
Row5|Haste|2
Row6|Translocation Trick|2
Row7|Fire Stride|2
Row8|Dimension Door|2
Row9|Teleport|3
Row10|Plane Shift|3
Row11|Find the Path|3
Row12|Shadow Walk|3
Row13|Teleport Object|4
Row14|Greater Teleport|4
Row15|Greater Plane Shift|4
Row16|Discern Location|4
Row17|Instant Refuge|5
Row18|Etherealness|5
Row19|AstralProjection|5
Row20|Gate|5
[/table]

...which is "no, just no..." Either way, that whole mechanic needs to be re-worked.

I am curious how anyone feels about the capstone. I'm guessing it's rather lackluster and/or extremely situational, but couldn't come up with an alternative.

I swear I've got the flavor in mind - just little proper execution yet.

qwertyu63
2013-07-23, 10:11 PM
This class has issues that others will fill you in on (I like the idea, but it needs work), but I have to nit-pick.

Knowledge Devotion (Ex): A jaunter gains Knowledge Devotion (The Planes) as a bonus feat at 8th level even if she does not qualify for the feat.

...Knowledge Devotion is kinda all or nothing. You don't get it in a particular Knowledge skill. Try reading the feat...

kestrel404
2013-07-23, 10:23 PM
This class has issues that others will fill you in on (I like the idea, but it needs work), but I have to nit-pick.

...Knowledge Devotion is kinda all or nothing. You don't get it in a particular Knowledge skill. Try reading the feat...

I'm pretty sure he's just pre-selecting the knowledge skill you get as 'permanently a class skill', though that would be a good thing to specify.

Benefit
Upon selecting this feat, you immediately add one Knowledge skill of your choice to your list of class skills. Thereafter, you treat that skill as a class skill, regardless of which class you are advancing in.

@Tryxx - you need to clarify a few things, I think. For instance, the 'Travel Points' section reads like you're adding your dex mod to the points you get every time you 'add one', but I think your intent is to add dex mod to whatever value is listed on the table.

Also, in the text for Touch Teleport, I had a comment of 'see below' for falling damage - I had intended to offer creatures with flight a reflex save to negate that damage (they can catch themselves pretty easily, after all). Give that a static difficulty, say DC 15, since it wouldn't really change based on the teleporter.

Tryxx
2013-07-24, 12:01 AM
I had some major reading comprehension issues going on with several of the abilities I tried to come up with. I'm guessing the wording for anything I tried to actually write is going to be a constant work in progress. Plus, I knew the travel points idea was bad (or at least my execution of it) but proceeded with it anyway. I finally changed the class (again) and think it now feels more like an actual class rather than a place-holder for SLAs, though it still has a few I feel I can't do without.

At this point it's probably borderline T3/T4 (unless of course "call ally" can be abused, which wouldn't surprise me in the least), which I'm fine with. I knew going in wanting this archetype I probably wouldn't be winning any swiss army knife contests, but if it's got a cool enough feel and a learned character can make it succeed I'll consider myself good. Still have a lot to learn about class designing, though.