PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Tanya, the Bleak Raven

ArqArturo
2013-07-23, 04:28 PM
The tavern patrons shivered and huddled next to the chimney, warm bowls of brown stew or mugs of stale ale in hand. Those that couldn't be anywhere close, sat in the tables, far away from the windows and from the falling rain that night. One of the patrons bragged of their last raid, showing the fetish of a fallen goblin lord he killed 'in one swift blow'. Suddenly, the door slammed open, a raven flew from the night and into the tavern, perching atop the mounted moose head above the chimney; a cloaked figure emerged from the rain, and pointed her finger at the man, and a purplish beam crackling with arcane energy hit the man in the chest. He howled in pain as the figure stepped forward removing her cloak, and revealing her pale face hauntingly beautiful, her sky blue eyes, and her dark-red hair. A hideously open scar ran across her neck. Many of the patrons fled, others drew weapons.

"Remember me, Holden?" asked the woman, in a rasped tone "Remember how you left me to die!?"

The raven then flew from the moose head and perched in the woman's right shoulder, and then the screaming began.

The Build:

Tanya Kharamazhov
Human (Necropolitan template) Dread Necromancer 8/Warlock 3/Eldritch Disciple 9
Chaotic Neutral
Strength 9
Dexterity 16
Constitution None (Used to be 14)
Intelligence 13
Wisdom 8
Charisma 18

Feats
1.- Spell Focus (Necromancy)
Human .- Fearsome Necromancy
3.- Tomb-tained soul (she was human at first) retrained to Profane Lifeleech
6.- Practiced Spellcaster (True Necromancer)
9.- Practiced Spellcaster (Warlock)
12.- Rapid Spell
15.- Black Lore of Moil
18.- Corpsecrafter

The Backstory:

Tanya never really asked for her power. She was a normal commoner when the Pale Walkers came in and raided her little town of Talnakh. She should have died that day, but she hid in the woods when the raiders came and sacked the town. In that forest, and old woman creeped around, collecting the bones and corpses of those that fled in vain. The old woman looked at her and smiled. She told the young woman she could teach her a way out to the open world, but she needed to embrace the night in order to survive. She accepted, and the old woman pointed to a forgotten hunting path. She crossed the path, and emerged wielding magic, and the powers of a Ved'ma, a Dread Necromancer.

In time, she accepted her dreaded gift, and decided that if she was to 'embrace the night' she would do it willingly. She wandered from town to town, drinking and feasting on food and men and women alike, she defended the towns she was in, but used dark methods, and demanded payment for doing so. She defied the heeds of priests and Alignalghi, the Wise men and women that healed the townsfolk.

She joined a group of adventurers that were as strange and as awe-inspiring as she: A towering barbarian man, strong in bloody deeds as well as drinking; a shrewed dwarf shaman, wise and fearless; a noble elf knight of soft words and hardy steed, and a human bard with words that could disarm nations and gods. The group accepted her, and the gold came as a showering rain. The loot was good, the drinks were good, and the company and feasts as well. Only the elf complained of her behavior, but Tanya learned to enjoy her life away from his prying eyes. She later began to develop disturbing powers, those of a warlock, and she began to mix the two. She could have become a powerful force, but then... She and the elf died battling a dragon, all the while the rest of the group sneak past them, and took the dragon's horde while the two valiantly died.

But then, something awoke her. A raven was atop her chest, and she knew this raven was hers, but not as a familiar, but as something else. The elf was still dead, and she felt remorse. She buried the elf, leaving only his armor. She took the rest and sold it, in order to get gear to keep going, and seek revenge on her former companions.

So far, the barbarian has died at her hands, but she still roams the land in search of the other two. Rumor has the bard has heard of her return, and seeks others to help her, nothing about the dwarf though.

This was a build I did way back when, and it was a fun little character I played. I never made to level 20th (Obviously), but still I was able to get to 15th, so there. She was mostly range, but from time to time, she used the Eldritch Glaive.

I played the character not as an undead-creating dread necromancer, but I did use the summon undead spell. When I took warlock levels, it was obvious I was going for a Eldritch Disciple build. It was hard, mostly because it was crippling, but some of the invocations were useful to a point.

This character was not evil, but she was not a goody two-shoes. She'll try to avoid harming innocents as much as possible, but if they're in the way of vengeance, she will not hesitate, not for long anyway. She's best played as an NPC, and as a tense encounter, because her memory is somewhat hazy on the subject as to who really were the other two that killed her. So if you have a female bard, or a male dwarf in your party, she will most likely go in with eldritch blasts and all the crippling spells she knows.

It may not be the most optimized of builds, but she was fun to play :) .

kreenlover
2013-07-23, 07:04 PM
Sounds fun

Arcanist
2013-07-23, 07:14 PM
Strength 9
Dexterity 16
Constitution None (Used to be 14)
Intelligence 13
Wisdom 8
Charisma 18

Uhhhhhhhhhh...

It may not be the most optimized of builds, but she was fun to play :) .

Ah. Makes sense. All things considered she does look like she'd be fun to include in a campaign... Mind showing me your thoughts on her in an e6 environment? :smallsmile:

ArqArturo
2013-07-23, 10:53 PM
Uhhhhhhhhhh...

Like I said, not a lot of optimizing :p. This was actually before I took character optimization a little more seriously.

Ah. Makes sense. All things considered she does look like she'd be fun to include in a campaign... Mind showing me your thoughts on her in an e6 environment? :smallsmile:

Would be interesting, and like I said, if there's a female bard or a dwarf anything in the party, she won't ask many questions but there will be some blasting. Just a question: Don't characters stop leveling up at lvl 6 in an e6 game?.