PDA

View Full Version : In a sticky fight, need tactical advice (3.5e)!

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-23, 06:38 PM
Hi there, I need a 'save the day!' spell for a bad tactical situation I've gotten myself into, for a solo play by post game, where I am running a party.

The group is at a T-intersection of 5' wide hallways and there is a 5'x5'x really really deep pit at the intersection. The group is split up at two of the right-angled corridors. The group is level 1, with the semi-npc's (that I have control over for this fight) being cleric/wizard/fighter/rogue, and my character, a level 2 artificer. The cleric, who just bombed a Greater Turning attempt, and the rogue, who is terrible at melee, and currently on full defensive, are being swarmed by a whole mess of ghouls in one of the 5'-wide hallways. The Fighter and the Wizard and Artificer are uselessly around the corner of the other hallway. at least one of the ghouls are actually in the square of the rogue, who is at 1 hit point.

What is a useful Level 1 or Level 2 spell that I can pull out of the ass of the Artificer to solve this predicament?

This is what things currently look like:

http://beta.ditzie.com/267/51ef11e397008

PersonMan
2013-07-23, 06:52 PM
Web could work. Crowd control doesn't much bother the people who are either spamming Total Defense or not moving anyways, but it should mess with the attacking ghouls by at least providing cover to your people in there.

Alternatively, Obscuring Mist for the same reason, but with concealment.

Barsoom
2013-07-23, 07:03 PM
Baleful Transposition to switch the fighter with one of the Ghouls. Now, instead of 2 people fighting and 3 being useless, you have everyone useful. Alternatively, Benevolent Transposition to save the Rogue by switching him with the fighter

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-07-23, 07:08 PM
Energy Missile (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyMissile.htm) (cold), deals 3d6+3 damage, Fort half, affects objects. It can hit every one of them, and average damage is enough to outright destroy each of them.

Benign Transposition (SC), swap the Fighter and Rogue places.

Ayailla's Radiant Burst (BoED), evil creatures in the area are blinded for one round and take damage.

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-23, 07:16 PM
The artificer doesn't have access to psionics...

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-23, 07:24 PM
Resilient Sphere off the trapsmith list can save the rogue, although transposing might be more useful.

Command Undead on the ghoul in the rogue's space could also help, but would require a save, so it's risky.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-23, 07:51 PM
I don't know about spells, but two of the useless characters should be able to cantilever the third, strongest useless over the pit, possibly with the aid of a length of rope. Get the strong person to grab the ghoul and yank him into the pit, or grab the rogue and pull him to safety.

From the corner of the square next to the pit in the useless hallway to the rogue's square is not really that far. The rogue's square is crowded, but the rogue can probably maneuver to the pit's edge, and be easily reachable. The key is avoiding an AoO, which is why having the strong guy move the rogue sounds good (I don't think being moved by an outside force provokes AoO...I could be totally wrong, though).

Anyway, there are a number of spells that could assist with the effort. Toss a rope at the rogue's square, animate rope around the leg of the ghoul or the leg of the rogue, and have the fighter yank whoever out of that square.

Does sanctuary work against undead? Probably not.

There's a spell...ranger I think. Knight's move, from Spell Compendium. It's effect might be useful here, but it's been an age since I looked at it.

Blackhawk748
2013-07-23, 08:00 PM
from what i know sanctuary works on everything, at least im pretty sure, i also second web and benign transposition. Also the fighter could probably jump that and just have the rogue do a Withdraw action and jump the pit, he will ignore the first AoO he invokes.

eggynack
2013-07-23, 08:02 PM
Well, if you're in a sticky fight, maybe you should cast grease. It does dispel resinous tar, after all.

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-23, 08:08 PM
The fighter can't jump that. Trust me. He stupidly is using interlocking plate and an extreme shield.

Also, I can't seem to find the rules that talk about sharing a square with an ally or enemy -- can anyone point me to them?

Blackhawk748
2013-07-23, 08:30 PM
Oh dear god, dont make him jump, but still have the rogue use a withdraw action, itll at least keep him alive

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-23, 08:31 PM
Blockade can fill that pit pretty easily.

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-23, 08:33 PM
The pit is an unknown depth. The bit of hearthfire we put on a rock just went down and went out of sight.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-23, 08:41 PM
Blockade can fill that pit pretty easily.

This is probably true. What you'd need to do is find a way to temporarily support the blockade. I'd suggest rope to tie around the block. Drop the blockade in the square in the useless hall that is nearest the pit. Push it toward the pit, tipping it over so it goes down at an angle. The diagonal measurement of the 5' cube is more than five feet, so it won't fit down the pit. Have the rogue retreat back across it.

Attach a rope for security (but this may take more time than you have).

eggynack
2013-07-23, 08:41 PM
Also, I can't seem to find the rules that talk about sharing a square with an ally or enemy -- can anyone point me to them?
I don't think you can do so. I checked the SRD section about movement, and it said, "You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless." You can move through an allied square freely, it's difficult to move through an enemy square, and you can't stay in either square at all. The rules are different for tiny, diminutive, and fine creatures, but I assume you're talking about standard size adventurers.

Edit: The relevant information starts on page 146 of the PHB, if you want a citation for various purposes.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-23, 08:45 PM
I don't think you can do so. I checked the SRD section about movement, and it said, "You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless." You can move through an allied square freely, it's difficult to move through an enemy square, and you can't stay in either square at all. The rules are different for tiny, diminutive, and fine creatures, but I assume you're talking about standard size adventurers.

Edit: The relevant information starts on page 146 of the PHB, if you want a citation for various purposes.

Can a creature voluntarily render itself helpless for the purpose of allowing someone else to squeeze into the same square? Talk about a moment of rules not supporting common sense.

And, by the way, the blockade spell is from Complete Scoundrel, I think. Excellent spell.

eggynack
2013-07-23, 08:51 PM
Can a creature voluntarily render itself helpless for the purpose of allowing someone else to squeeze into the same square? Talk about a moment of rules not supporting common sense.
I guess that's theoretically possible. I can't really come up with plausible utility for that though. I mean, if I'm sticking two characters in the same square, presumably my tactical benefit is getting two active characters in the same place. Having a helpless and a normal guy in the same space doesn't render any such advantage. It doesn't give a movement advantage either, because the rules only stop you from ending your turn in another guy's space. Presumably, the way this could help is that one ally wants to pass another ally, but can't because they're in a solid fog. The front one tries to take a nap, therefore allowing the guy in back the ability to pass. It's not the biggest tactical benefit, and it doesn't make that little sense for you to be able to inhabit the same five by five space as a sleeping guy.

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-23, 08:52 PM
The pit is an unknown depth. The bit of hearthfire we put on a rock just went down and went out of sight.

Stone Shape off the Trapsmith list to close it off that way, then?

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-23, 09:05 PM
The problem with blocking off the pit is that now the ghouls get everyone. Ideally, everyone ends up on the side of the pit without ghouls. I think the blockade is the best choice for temporarily blocking the pit. With a rope around it, it would be plausible to rotate the askew wooden cube such that it would fit down the 5'x5' pit.

You could even rig the rope ahead of the blockade casting, making it faster to fix it around the cube.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you try.

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-23, 10:36 PM
I think Blockade can only be cast onto a place that can hold its weight...

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-23, 10:45 PM
This is probably true. What you'd need to do is find a way to temporarily support the blockade. I'd suggest rope to tie around the block. Cast the blockade in the square in the useless hall that is nearest the pit. Push it toward the pit, tipping it over so it goes down at an angle. The diagonal measurement of the 5' cube is more than five feet, so it won't fit down the pit. Have the rogue retreat back across it.

Attach a rope for security (but this may take more time than you have).

And hence my plan. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-23, 10:47 PM
Yea, uh, he needs a spell that will save the life of the rogue within 6 seconds, hehehe...

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-23, 10:51 PM
Yea, uh, he needs a spell that will save the life of the rogue within 6 seconds, hehehe...

Resilient Sphere or Benign Transposition, then. Both will pretty much guaranteed take the rogue out of harm's way. The first is impenetrable even if they follow, but also creates another barrier in a choked hallway and cuts off your other ally. The second leaves your rogue theoretically vulnerable in a bit, but potentially brings your clunky fighter into the fray without having her fall into a possibly bottomless pit.

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-23, 10:53 PM
Provided the spell goes off. It's a DC 21 check, +16, and I failed it once already this fight (for spider climb, grumble grumble...)! I suppose I could use an action point to make it 1d20+16+1d6, and increase my chances of getting the spell off...

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-23, 11:02 PM
So the wizard and the fighter won't act in time/have already acted?

Hmm, yeah that complicates things.

If it's only the artificer's action to work with, then that really does limit the strategy to something that will put the rogue beyond harm. Teleportation seems ideal, but I don't know if the rogue is a valid target, as the fighter or whomever would be dropped into an occupied space. The spell benign transposition doesn't say this can't be done, but it may be bad for the fighter to be in the same space as the ghoul (not as bad as it is for the rogue, though).

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-23, 11:14 PM
Well the wizard can grease something, if she can get LoE / LoS. I don't know if that is possible. I think I am going to call shenanigans on how the GM was breaking rules...

Big Fau
2013-07-23, 11:25 PM
Dark Way, from the Spell Compendium? You'd need someone to dispel it before the Ghouls crossed, but it would work nicely (unless the Fighter weighs 400lbs).

Unfortunately, Regroup (PH2) is a 3rd level spell for both classes that get it.

Seffbasilisk
2013-07-24, 05:05 AM
Depending on definition of 'narrow pit', greater slide might theoretically help. Slide'm over the pit to the far side, or if you can get the fighter back a bit.

Benign Transposition would be ideal (with wanna-be warforged fighter).

Some rather specific walls...maybe something dismissable...

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-24, 08:56 AM
Well, I called shenanigans on the GM and said he was ignoring several rules to my detriment, and this is what the scene should look like:

http://beta.ditzie.com/267/51efd77f0b3c2