PDA

View Full Version : Armor-Plated Spellcasters

OOPWER
2013-07-23, 08:42 PM
This is my first, real, post. I had an idea, and wasn't sure precisely how to express its manifestation. I was also curious to know if anyone else has had this idea.

It works a little like this:
A: Get Still Spell and buffs.
B: Take levels in mundane butt-kicking class (heavy armor proficient class).

What it boils down to, is that Arcane Spell Failure only occurs when casting a spell with somatic components, per PHB I RAW:
Wizards and sorcerers do not know how to wear armor effectively. If desired, they can wear armor anyway (though they’ll be clumsy in it), or
they can gain training in the proper use of armor (with the various Armor
Proficiency feats—light, medium, and heavy—and the Shield Proficiency
feat), or they can multiclass to add a class that grants them armor
proficiency (see Multiclass Characters later in this chapter). Even if a
wizard or sorcerer is wearing armor with which he or she is proficient,
however, it might still interfere with spellcasting.
Most characters have a difficult time casting arcane spells while
wearing armor or carrying shields (see Arcane Spell Failure, page 122).
The armor restricts the complicated gestures that a wizards or sorcerer
must make while casting any spell that has a somatic component (most
do). To find the arcane spell failure chance for a wizard or sorcerer
wearing a certain type of armor, see Table 7–6: Armor and Shields (page
123).
By contrast, bards not only know how to wear light armor effectively,
but they can also ignore the arcane spell failure chance for such armor.
However, they too wear heavier armor ineffectively and must either learn
to wear heavier armor via the appropriate Armor Proficiency feat
(medium or heavy) or add a class (such as fighter) that grants them such
proficiency as a class feature. A bard wearing armor heavier than light or
using any type of shield incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance,
even if he becomes proficient with that armor.
If a spell doesn’t have a somatic component, an arcane spellcaster can
cast it with no problem while wearing armor. Such spells can also be cast
even if the caster’s hands are bound or if he or she is grappling
(although Concentration checks still apply normally). Also, the
metamagic feat Still Spell allows a spellcaster to prepare or cast a spell at
one spell level higher than normal without the somatic component. This
also provides a way to cast a spell while wearing armor without risking
arcane spell failure.

I went on to the Chapter Five description of Still Spell, spoilered below:
A stilled spell can be cast with no somatic components.
Spells without somatic components are not affected. A stilled spell
uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.

Presuming you're willing to use upper level spell slots, you could conceivable establish yourself as an armor-plated spellcaster. This, in my opinion, opens up an interesting aspect of RP and mechanic potential as a swordsman with some levels in wizard or sorcerer focused on buffing himself.

While I have noticed that a few spellcasters (like Warmage) could potentially get the same thing as class features, they felt more like half measures. The way I see it, with this idea there is much greater freedom in customizing the character's spell list to this situation (with wizard levels).

I believe this as a practical way to boost AC and demonstrate an interesting spin on the concept of a spellslinging battler in plate as compared to what seems to be the fantasy standard of "Must be using magic to backstab people." (That's mostly my perception of them thus far. I've yet to see a fully armored spellcaster in a novel.)

Does anybody agree/disagree with [hopefully valid counterpoints] me?

The Fury
2013-07-23, 08:44 PM
Are you familiar with the Spellsword prestige class? It can be found in the Complete Warrior and allows you to ignore a certain amount of Arcane Spell Failure.

Cog
2013-07-23, 08:51 PM
Quite a few gish-friendly spells don't have a somatic component to begin with, and so don't even require Still Spell. They cap out at around 4ish.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-07-23, 08:52 PM
Combine this (Spellsword) with Twilight Mithril armor for maximum silliness!

Hamste
2013-07-23, 08:53 PM
http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-arcane--55/mage-armor-greater--461/

http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/armor-darkness--3844/

Both of these can be helpful if you want a high ac with minimal feat tax or spell casting loss. The problem with metamagic still spell is that you are essentially preparing spells that weaker than you can. It can be great for roleplay but is less than optimal.

Glimbur
2013-07-23, 08:57 PM
Yes, this is an option. As you noted, it effectively puts you a spell level behind, plus the level(s) you spend to get heavy armor proficiency.

Other people have already dropped the 'gish' word, which is what you want to google to find discussion/builds for spellcasters that also use swords.

I'll throw you one last idea. The Dragon Disciple, in 3.5 is intended to be a caster prestige class, but it doesn't advance casting. It does give strength bonuses, so one option is to take a barbarian(or ranger or fighter or even paladin), throw in one level of sorcerer, and take dragon disciple. If you take the right sorcerer spells, like True Strike, they don't have a somatic component. And then you get claws and a (terrible) breath weapon and extra strength. It's not terribly powerful, but it is an example of why I like 3.5: you can do things that were not intended but are mechanically interesting.

limejuicepowder
2013-07-23, 09:21 PM
Another strong option is the Runesmith from Races of Stone. This dwarven-only prestige class entire schtick is exactly the character you described: casting spells while wearing full plate.

Perseus
2013-07-23, 09:30 PM
Soo Cleric with War and Magic domain?

Rubik
2013-07-23, 09:44 PM
Psionics is great for gishing, since you don't have arcane spell failure anyway. Just don't take the spell-to-power erudite class, since the arcane spells you pick up will suffer it.

A level each in prestige ranger, bard, and paladin (using one of the ways to turn arcane spells divine to qualify) and 10 levels in rainbow servant, and you could have four additional lists of buff spells to use.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-23, 10:22 PM
I can't claim to have come up with this but don't remember who did.

Mithril Tesselated Fullplate of twilight & nimbleness and a thistledown suit.
Armor check penalty: less than 0, I assume it just becomes 0
Base AC: +8
Max Dex: +5
Arcane spell failure: 0%
base enhancement bonus: +2
Price: 32,810 gp i think

No armor check penalty means no penalty for not being proficient.

Psyren
2013-07-24, 12:18 AM
Another strong option is the Runesmith from Races of Stone. This dwarven-only prestige class entire schtick is exactly the character you described: casting spells while wearing full plate.

Came here to suggest this. It combines quite well with Geometer also, basically letting you still and silence any number of your spells without any feats or change in the spell level.

OOPWER
2013-07-24, 02:55 PM
Those are a lot of cool ideas. I had heard of Spellsword, but I personally found it to be the "not as cool" grandfather of the Duskblade. I haven't heard of Geometer, but I'm gonna go find it now.

I suppose this leads me to ask, does armor interfere with casting Psionic powers? I don't have the XPH totally down, so I'm a little shaky on it. And if it does, is there way to mimic the same concept I posited in the OP?

Also, thanks for the cool ideas.

Psyren
2013-07-24, 03:08 PM
Those are a lot of cool ideas. I had heard of Spellsword, but I personally found it to be the "not as cool" grandfather of the Duskblade. I haven't heard of Geometer, but I'm gonna go find it now.

Remember, in terms of casting in armor, Runesmith is the one you really want. Runesmith removes somatic components (and therefore ASF); Geometer only removes verbal components. Combine the two however and you basically get a sigilcaster, someone who can cast various spells without a sound or gesture, simply by drawing glyphs on stone ahead of time.

Runesmith is in Races of Stone, Geometer is in Complete Arcane.

I suppose this leads me to ask, does armor interfere with casting Psionic powers? I don't have the XPH totally down, so I'm a little shaky on it. And if it does, is there way to mimic the same concept I posited in the OP?

Armor does not interfere with psionics at all. However, one thing you do need to keep in mind is that if you are not proficient with armor, you take its armor check penalty on all your Dex checks, including the all-important Initiative. So, while a Psion can strap on full-plate and still manifest effectively, it doesn't necessarily mean he should.

However, this does mean that armor with no ACP, such as a mithral chain shirt, does not impede Psions in any way.

Perseus
2013-07-24, 03:09 PM

Nope. Full Plate + Skate + Psion is a fun class.

Do note that the ACP turns into a penalty for attacks if you aren't proficient.

Fighter 1 / Psion 19 is a fine build to play. Though you are down one manifester level you get to skate/fly around in full plate...

Or Warforged Psion 20 with adamantine body feat. You can make iron man you know...