PDA

View Full Version : Limitation Help (M&M 3e)

Amechra
2013-07-23, 10:22 PM
DIMITRI NABAKOV, INCARNATION OF THE REVOLUTION

Abilities
Str 2/Sta 2/Agi 2/Dex 2/Fgt 2/Int 2/Awe 2/Pre 2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Powers
The People Watch and Wait: Duplicates the default human Visual, Auditory, Tactile, and Olfactory senses; made up of 4 linked powers, each duplicating a sense.

Paragon of the People: 8 linked powers:

Enhanced Strength 4; Limited [While Earning a Wage or Fighting Corrupt Management]
Enhanced Stamina 4; Limited [While Earning a Wage or Fighting Corrupt Management]
Enhanced Agility 4; Limited [While Earning a Wage or Fighting Corrupt Management]
Enhanced Dexterity 4; Limited [While Earning a Wage or Fighting Corrupt Management]
Enhanced Intellect 4; Limited [While Earning a Wage or Fighting Corrupt Management]
Enhanced Fighting 4; Limited [While Earning a Wage or Fighting Corrupt Management]
Enhanced Presence 4; Limited [While Earning a Wage or Fighting Corrupt Management]
Enhanced Awareness 4; Limited [While Earning a Wage or Fighting Corrupt Management]

For the Greater Glory of the Proletariat!
Collective name for:

Innate Immunity 5 [Fatigue Effects]; Limited [While Earning a Wage or Fighting Corrupt Management]
Innate Immunity 1 [Sleep Deprivation]; Limited [While Earning a Wage or Fighting Corrupt Management]

While the Worker is Oppressed, I Cannot Rest
Immortality 6; Limited [While the Working Class is Still Oppressed]
Skills: Close Combat [Hammers] 4 (+6/+10), Close Combat [Sickles] 4 (+6/+10), Insight 8 (+10/+14), Perception 8 (+10/+14), Persuasion 8 (+10/+14), Technology 10 (+12/+16), Treatment 8 (+10/+14)
Advantages: Extraordinary Effort, Jack of All Trades, Improvised Tools, Leadership, Teamwork
Defenses
Tough +3/+7, Fort +3/+7, Will +3/+7
Dodge +3/+7; Parry +3/+7; Initiative +2/+6

Offense
Atk +10/+14 Hammer, close, damage 2/6
Atk +10/+14 Sickle, close, damage 2/6
Complications
Justice: For the People!
Prejudice: The working class is crushed below the heel of the rich!
Total abilities 32 + powers 54 + skills 25 + advantages 5 + defenses 5 = 120pp

So, a pretty decent PL 8 character, I think... While hopped up on Power of the People and protected by For the Greater Glory of the Proletariat, he can use his Extraordinary Effort advantage 1/round with impunity.

Need a little extra oomph in some area? Give yourself a +2 to an ability.
Need to get a skill check over? +0 to +5 Circumstance bonus!

I need help with the limitations, though... Namely, the wording. I want the powers to fail if he isn't either supplying a shining example for the working class, or actively struggling to aid them.

Thoughts?

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-23, 10:30 PM
Problem: immunity to fatigue does not protect against extra effort's fatigue, since it has no save attached, as immunity is effectively making your save successfully.

EDIT: Resistance check, sorry. My second edition roots are showing.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-07-24, 10:16 AM
Problem: immunity to fatigue does not protect against extra effort's fatigue, since it has no save attached, as immunity is effectively making your save successfully.

EDIT: Resistance check, sorry. My second edition roots are showing.
Yah. I would say no, not just because of that (thanks, Rose), but on general abusiveness. Free Extra Effort means an extra standard action every round. It means permanently operating at +1 power level, effectively. It's a good power, but it doesn't do what you want it to do. Instead, I suggest something like "Power of the People: Variable 1 (Enhancing existing abilities), Reaction."

The limits on For the Greater Glory look good and thematic and all. While the Worker is Still Oppressed is flavorful, but needs a bit more defining-- if it's specific, nearby workers, it's OK. If it's workers anywhere (as could be argued), then it's a power-loss complication, not a limit.

On another note, I'd worry about losing your effectiveness when you're not acting within your preview. I'd recommend dropping the limit on Paragon of the People and taking a power-loss complication about "while workers anywhere are bond by their chains" or something.

Amechra
2013-07-24, 12:06 PM
Ah, I forgot the ability to generate an extra action. Damn it!

And I thought all the bonuses from Extra Effort were still capped by PL?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-07-24, 12:22 PM
Ah, I forgot the ability to generate an extra action. Damn it!

And I thought all the bonuses from Extra Effort were still capped by PL?
Nope-- they're circumstance bonuses.

Amechra
2013-07-24, 01:12 PM
Even the ones to Power Ranks?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-07-24, 01:27 PM
Even the ones to Power Ranks?
You know, I don't... AHA, got it.

Heroes are sometimes called upon to perform feats beyond even their amazing abilities. This calls for extra effort. Players can use extra effort to improve a hero’s abilities in exchange for the hero suffering some fatigue. The benefits of extra effort are not limited by power level due to their extraordinary nature. (http://www.d20herosrd.com/home#TOC-EXTRA-EFFORT) (emphasis mine)

Amechra
2013-07-24, 02:48 PM
I've been working from the SRD, so...

Since I built this guy with the idea that those bonuses did not exceed PL caps, how overpowered would Extra Effort at-will with no drawbacks be if I was barred from getting extra actions (iirc, that is the constraint the chick running M&M games in my area puts on it.)?

Because I like the idea of "through the sheer force of will, he thinks harder."

Or, you know, identifies something as unsafe for workers!

Also, does Exhaustion count as a Fatigue effect?

And, for the record, there was originally a power for Dimitri called By the Sweat on My Brow, which was self healing that removed fatigue. The Limitation? He had to be able to wipe his forehead off with his hand :smallbiggrin:.

Then I saw that the Extra for Healing that removes Fatigue doesn't work on the user.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-07-24, 04:26 PM
I copy-pasted from the SRD, so... :smalltongue:

It's... better not to mess with it, I think. I'll repost my earlier suggestion for replacing extra-effort-at-will: "Power of the People: Variable 1 (Enhancing existing abilities), Reaction." (10 points) Feel free to add Tiring or drop it to Free Action.

I would think that anything leading to exhaustion would be a fatigue effect, yes. (other than extra effort).

I love the idea of The Sweat off My Brow, though that's not a limit-- even a -1 quirk (must have one hand free to wipe off sweat) would be pushing it.