PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] DC to resist screaming from pain

XylyX
2013-07-23, 11:46 PM
Weird title, I know. Also, long time lurker, first time poster. :smallsmile:

I'm running a group through the Way of the Wicked adventure path, but using 3.5 rules to do so. We've really just begun an I wanted to roleplay their crimes, capture and arrival at the prison rather than just starting them in there.

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*
When we got the part where they were given the forsaken brand, one of my players wanted to resist screaming, thereby denying their tormentor the pleasure of "breaking" the PC. Well, the other players quickly decided they wanted to follow suit and try and resist as well.

Given the nature of the incident and the pain involved, I felt it appropriate to ask for both a FORT and WILL save, and I set the DC at 15, figuring they would have to pass both to not scream out - though I did allow for partial successes. If they passed the WILL but not the FORT, then they would give a whimper (think Princess Bride when the Count asks Wesley about his first experience with The Machine). If they passed the FORT but not the WILL, then it would be more like an angry growl. (Or maybe I should have reversed that...)

We've already moved passed this, but I was just wondering what you playgrounder's thought/would do.

tl;dr
What kind of save/DC would you want from a PC to resist screaming out in pain?

Venger
2013-07-24, 12:22 AM
I would use the check to oppose the use of the intimidate skill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/intimidate.htm) myself. 1d20 + level + wis mod + saves vs fear if any.

because you cry out in pain under torture, fear has some part of it. if you're not afraid of what's going to happen to you, then it makes sense that you'd be able to resist it better.

plus this way it automatically scales as your characters get tougher (eg: level up) whereas fort/will may not depending on their classes.

XylyX
2013-07-25, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the tip!