PDA

View Full Version : Expanded / improved deydration rules [d20/3.x/PF]

Altair_the_Vexed
2013-07-24, 02:16 AM
I've been running for my health for years, now, and I've always found the d20 rules for how much water a character needs to be a bit silly - a gallon is way more than we need in most circumstances.
Also, what if we drink less than the required amount, but more than "no water"? What if it's hotter than normal? (I know Sandstorm has rules for this, but they suffer from the same issues of the base rule.)

My rationale for this revised rule is explained here in my blog (http://running-the-game.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/exercise-heat-and-hydration.html), including my rejected rulings.

Medium characters need at least half a gallon of water-based liquid per day, assuming they are actively adventuring. When resting, undertaking light professional tasks, sedately travelling (such as aboard ship as passengers, or at a regular pace on mounts), and so on, this requirement is halved. (Small creatures need half as much in all cases.)
For each weather category hotter than "moderate", the amount of water required is increased by 1/2. That is: In warm conditions, you need 1.5 times the amount of water; in hot conditions, you need 2 times the amount; and in conditions exceeding 110F, you need 2.5 times the amount. For each 20 degrees above 130F, the requirement increases by another half.

A character can go without water for 1 day plus a number of hours equal to his Constitution score. For each pint that a character drinks during that time, add another 6 hours. In hot weather, halve these times.

After this time, the character must make a Constitution check each hour (DC 10, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. Characters that take an amount of nonlethal damage equal to their total hit points begin to take lethal damage instead.
Characters who have taken nonlethal damage from lack of water are fatigued. Nonlethal damage from thirst or starvation cannot be recovered until the character gets water, as needed - not even magic that restores hit points heals this damage.