PDA

View Full Version : Narrow escapes

Neverborn
2013-07-24, 08:41 AM
Hi all, I recently discovered that this site has a pretty active D&D forum, aside from the awesome webcomic...

I enjoyed browsing the forum, and especially reading the topic about total party kills. It's always fun to read stories about other people's experiences in the game...

On that note, I thought it might be fun to make a topic about narrow escapes your character/group has managed to pull off...

My personal most epic one was right at the end of our previous campaign... The party was L15, and consisted of a Rogue/Shadowdancer, a straight Fighter, an Awakened Bear with Barbarian levels (our Druid died, so the player decided to keep playing as his formed animal companion) and me, a Sorcerer/Incantatar (male Incantatrix).
We had reached the final dungeon, where we would fight the ultimate battle with our arch-nemesis, a former human knight who had been transformed into a powerful demon. We battled our way through the dungeon, and we finally confronted the BBEG…
It was a tough fight, our rogue could not really contribute much due to a sub-optimal build, the fighter and bear did their best, but they were outmatched. Most of the damage came from my Sorcerer, who blasted away at the bad guy while he was busy dealing with my party members…
The rogue died first, then the warrior and finally the bear. At this point the (badly bloodied) BBEG and my (also badly injured) Sorcerer exchanged a look, and we knew this was it…
I had the initiative advantage, so I sent a couple of spells his way (rapid metamagic and quicken spell is really nice for an artillery Sorcerer), but failed to drop him… I knew he would be on me in a moment (he had a quickened Teleport ability), and could only hope that my AC of around 40 and active Mirror Image spell (though the BBEG had tons of abilities and spells, True Seeing was not amongst them) would let me survive one more round (he could have dropped me with one attack if he rolled slightly above average for damage)… He teleported to my side, and for his first attack he rolled a 1… Since we had the house rule that a critical miss means no more attacks for the rest of the round, I was saved! The next round I finally took him out!

Another more personal one was in our current campaign, where my Warforged Monk was tangling with a Minotaur, while the rest of the party was busy with some chokers… I managed to trip the beast, but when he got back up his one attack was a crit with his Greataxe that would have killed me, if I had not made my 25% roll to negate the crit, which happily I did. Next round a flurry dispatched the Minotaur, and I was left to consider just how nice the lesser fortification ability of the Warforged is. I vowed to take the feat which makes it 100% asap (1 more level to go…)

I am curious if anyone has any cool stories of narrow escapes and victories by the skin of their teeth…

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-24, 09:42 PM
Well, there was a near-TPK encounter with a single Bodak. Seven players, six failed saves. :smalleek:

SamsDisciple
2013-07-24, 11:01 PM
I dont remember our levels or party composition but we were fairly low level and the idea of this encounter was more to scare our pants off and have us run away but it was a new dm and didnt realize how devastating fear effects could be so when his homebrewed [U]summoned[U] avatar of death had rended the npc's that were 3 levels higher then us then used a fear effect that caused multiple members of the party to straight up drop everything and run in a blind panic (myself included). We somehow managed to stay ahead of it and regrouped inside its abandoned mansion but we regrouped in a room with no exits and it found us, I was a wu jen and was out of useful spells, our melee characters couldnt do a thing, and the creature's spot was so obscene that the rogue couldnt even sneak around it to leave us all to our own fate. I pulled out my wand of dispel and tried a last ditch effort to dispel the summoning that kept it here. I think I was maybe level 10 and this was at least a lvl 20 summon if not epic but with my little wand of dispel I rolled a natural 20 on the caster level check and my dm was speechless for a second then just started laughing as he dumped the rest of his notes in the garbage and winged it for the rest of the session. He later explained that he wasn't planning on the sheer panic effect and was hoping that we would just head out the way we came but when that wasn't a possibility he was very concerned about a tpk. gotta love the natural 20's in a pinch

Psyren
2013-07-24, 11:14 PM
Well, there was a near-TPK encounter with a single Bodak. Seven players, six failed saves. :smalleek:

Did they not know what gaze attacks are? :smalltongue: