PDA

View Full Version : Animals- and how to get them 3.0 3.5

relytdan
2013-07-24, 10:40 AM
ok so I want to try to get the various animal - cohorts ect..
generically everyone can purchase a mount/animal/pet
I know druid, ranger & beastmaster get animal companions
paladin gets special mount
sorcerer/wizard get familiars

question is what 3.0, 3.5- race, base class or prc's gain access to the various animals, mounts, familiars ect?

Segev
2013-07-24, 10:51 AM
Race - Dvati get a twin, but that's really about it, and doesn't really count, I don't think.

Classes -

Druids: animal companion
Paladins: Sacred mount
Rangers: animal companion
Sor/Wiz: Familiar (I think you only get one even if you multiclass, but don't recall if the rules are explicit about this or not)
Dread Necromancer: special familiar

There's a PrC in the Draconomicon that gets a dragon wyrmling to "foster."

Feats -

Leadership: can gain animals, magical beasts, etc. as cohort if you want
Psicrystal Affinity: Any psionic being may pick up this feat for the "Psion's Familiar"/pet rock
Dragon Cohort: Gain a Dragon as a cohort (no other followers with this one) and treat it as 3 ECL lower than normal
Dragon Mount: Gain a Dragonnel as a special mount (I think this requires already having a special mount to replace, though)
Improved Familiar: Replaces, so not extra, but does make Familiar bigger.
Dragon Familiar: As Improved, but makes it a dragon wyrmling (generally way too expensive in level requirements)
Elemental Steward: Replace your psicrystal with a small elemental thingie (but, again, is a replacement, not additional)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Well, aside from "Handle Animal," and going hunting.

kulosle
2013-07-24, 11:09 AM
Well it depends on what you want, quality or quantity. The best quality pet you can get is the uber mount, but i won't get into that. Beast master is gives you the most pets, unless you count vermin lord. But the best way to just get a lot of pets is to have a stupid high Handle Animal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#handleAnimal) check. Then train them all to be warbeasts. Then be a bard and make them all very powerful with your music.

Gerrtt
2013-07-24, 11:37 AM
Wild Cohort will work for any class. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a)

kulosle
2013-07-24, 01:42 PM
Additionally you could try optimizing Wild empathy to just make all animals around you fanatic about you. But i wouldn't know how to do that.

EDIT: correction you just take the Soothe the Beast feat from ECS and be a bard.