PDA

View Full Version : Building My Plane

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-07-24, 01:41 PM
Okay so every one that commented on my lost thread to a similar theme, thanks. I have decided to make it a giant training ground, i.e high gravity low magic and psionics, I imagine that would help my on the material plane. What I want to know is where do I find the rules for building planes, and how I would add the gravity, limit magic and psionics, and also if any one could, how to speed time up in my plane.

And if requires a lot of gold, I have endless

unseenmage
2013-07-24, 04:27 PM
Manual of the Planes, it's 3.0 but it has all the relevant info organized fairly well.

As for building the plane itself, the Genesis spell/power will do that.

From there you're looking to the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook for how much buildings and courtyards and training facilities cost.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-24, 04:42 PM
And warning, some readings of the genesis-type abilities will not allow any trait that isn't a visible part of the world to be manipulated. While this probably allows various gravity traits to be selected, it's often ruled to disallow time trait manipulation (and psionic genesis explicitly says the time trait is as the Prime). Magic and psionic traits are probably not available for manipulation, as the spell never mentions them, and they aren't "visual" features in the strict sense of the term. Elemental traits and the like may be variable or not (again, the spell and power are both a bit vague), but they can often be emulated by simply setting the temperature to a desired level (at least this works for ice/fire themed demiplanes). As the plane is a bound space, the temperature will tend to become consistent throughout the plane over time, but if you make a plane that is uniformly 1000 degrees temperature, it won't ever cool down (unless a permeable-type portal is created and left open for a very, very long time).

The level of DM fiat here is high, very high. Talk to your DM before you get too far into your planning, as your DM's version of plane-building is the only one that counts.

Chronos
2013-07-24, 06:30 PM
It's also all on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/planes.htm) (Genesis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/genesis.htm), too).

Incidentally, there is no requirement that the customization of the Genesis plane be limited to visible effects, just to things that the caster can visualize. And if you argue that you can't change the time or magic traits, then one is left wondering just what time and magic traits one gets, since there's no reason to default to "as the Material Plane", and every plane must have some time trait and magic trait.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-24, 07:02 PM
A DM might sensibly rule that things you can't explicitly control default to "normal," which is what it sounds like, the normal setting for these traits.

Anyway, it's really down to how many toys the DM is going to let the player have. I personally would never let a player get personal access to an accelerated time plane, as it's the last and biggest power boost that a spellcaster can want (effectively infinite spells). Various magic and energy/elemental traits are less exploitable.

In any case, demiplanes are often capstones to cosmic power, not the underpinnings of it. Have fun designing your plane. My favorite trick is to set it up like the Hollow World's gravity trait, where everything is pulled toward the interior surface of the sphere. This is a quick and dirty way to make a large usable surface, and the "floorspace" of the demiplane will continue to enlarge. If the DM is particularly open to theory, you can also hang a perfectly balanced sphere of rock in the center of the demiplane (or a series of concentric hollow rock spheres). The gravity pulls the sphere equally in all directions, so it just hangs there.

Jack_Simth
2013-07-24, 07:19 PM
If the DM is particularly open to theory, you can also hang a perfectly balanced sphere of rock in the center of the demiplane (or a series of concentric hollow rock spheres). The gravity pulls the sphere equally in all directions, so it just hangs there.
Mind you, you can't make use of it. Even the slightest change in the object's mass distribution causes it to start careening out of control.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-24, 07:34 PM
Mind you, you can't make use of it. Even the slightest change in the object's mass distribution causes it to start careening out of control.

You mean you can't use it without further application of magic. Yes, I agree with you here.

Hmm. It would be interesting to try to engineer a self-regulating mass distribution device. Dunno if it can be finagled by RAW, but conceptually, something of the kind should be possible.

My initial thought is the hanging sphere is hollow, and a second smaller sphere hangs inside it. In between the two spheres is a dense liquid of some kind, not enough to fill the whole gap. Now, you'd need a way to measure the deviation of the inner sphere when objects were placed on the inner sphere's interior surface, so as to measure the amount of buffering we'd need to do with the liquid to keep the object in balance.

Sounds like it needs to be some kind of intelligent self-resetting spell trap of animate object that uses touchsight or something to gauge the precise deviation of the sphere. Having the entire gap being in the line of effect of one trap isn't going to work, but we could possibly use tippy's concept of ice assassins of awakened constructs produced by a self-resetting trap of ice assassin.

Hey, a nice thought experiment outlining the practical limitations of magic in 3.5.:smallamused:

Chronos
2013-07-24, 09:01 PM
Or just stick an Immovable Rod to it. The Rod's weight limit should be plenty to hold it stabilized.

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-07-25, 03:08 AM
Or just stick an Immovable Rod to it. The Rod's weight limit should be plenty to hold it stabilized.

My plane is going to be 30,000 miles, for reasons of becoming god.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-25, 08:46 AM
My plane is going to be 30,000 miles, for reasons of becoming god.

Well, since the circumference of the Earth is less than 25,000 miles, that should be plenty of space, lol. You basically have a planet.

Is 30k miles the radius? Cause that would be insane. The Earth has a radius of only about 4k miles. Jupiter, by comparison, has a radius of 40k miles, and has a volume equal to about 1000 times that of Earth.

Maybe 30,000 sq. miles. That would be much more reasonable.

Anyway, if your character is actually a god, then I think there is probably a better way of doing this via divine salient abilities.

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-07-25, 02:22 PM
Anyway, if your character is actually a god, then I think there is probably a better way of doing this via divine salient abilities.

Well I'm not a god yet. But I plan to become one

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-25, 03:07 PM
Well, so you are planning the plane you will eventually get?

Cause if you have a plane of that size now, I think we can probably hook you up with a jump start on the godhood. With that much space, you just need to come up with some nominally intelligent, fast-breeding creatures to populate it. Provide them with safety, the necessities and comforts of life, and they will likely raise you to hero status or higher. With some manipulation, they will think you a god. Having worshipers is an important component of being a god, so this might be a good side project.

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-07-25, 03:49 PM
Cause if you have a plane of that size now, I think we can probably hook you up with a jump start on the godhood. With that much space, you just need to come up with some nominally intelligent, fast-breeding creatures to populate it. Provide them with safety, the necessities and comforts of life, and they will likely raise you to hero status or higher. With some manipulation, they will think you a god. Having worshipers is an important component of being a god, so this might be a good side project.

If I fill the world with millions or billions of loyal worshipers, I can become a greater or over deity.

Also I don't have the plane but I have the stones