PDA

View Full Version : Goblin sorcerer

Moranica
2013-07-24, 01:43 PM
So I'm running a rl group, using the kingmaker AP (pathfinder) and I created a nemesis for them for the end fight. It will be the end of a terrible war between their kingdom (which they are running) and the troll kindom (small). I'd just like to swap some ideas and some pointers on the nemesis build.

Group background
A bunch of hack and slash personalities who are struggling between the responsibilities of running a kingdom, while wanting to loot it at the same time. Basicly this means switching between lawful good in town, to chaotic evil out of town. It a lot of fun though. Their characters (a summoner, a wizard, a rogue/monk type, and a gunslinging goblin) are fairly optimised and level 6. We have the rule, that if they want, they can restart battles, but it costs them half the loot and xp.

Nemesis, named Dreifus. (lvl 8 Goblin Sorcerer)
When the players kingdom's council was short staffed they went to a nearby kingdom to recruit a grand magister. The mage school was eager to give them Dreifus, a briljant sorcerer, who as a goblin didn't fit in. All was fine in the kingdom, until a player died and created a wizard. To open up the proper council position, Dreifus was brutily attacked for no reason, but he got away. Through scrying, they've learned that he has teamed up with the trolls who they are at war with.

The war and "prelude" to the battle.
The trolls declared war and told them to leave. Several skirmishes have taken place. The kingdom has been attacked by trolls and they attempted to approach the troll base. Currently, they've raised an army and won a decisive victory in the last battle. Now they plan to take the fight to the trolls.

Before they'll do so, they receive a letter from the trolls, which states that if they return a sacred artifact from some tomb, they will allow the kingdom to stay. If the players are smart they realise that trolls don't write and the Dreifus may have done this. And indeed, the tomb is lethal. It will be tome of horrors like, for which the group is poorly equiped. The artifact will be there though. It is likely that the players will try and fail, unless they send in their army (losing it in the progress). The other option, which they've been discussing for several sessions, is raiding the troll base and kill the king. This time I'll allow them in and send enough trolls to kill off any accompanying soldiers, as well as let them feel good about their victory. (they have several save or dies which work wonders on the trolls). Of course, behind the troll kings room will be Dreifus, waiting with several trollhounds.

Dreifus sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=614733)

Final battle ensues.

Tactics
- Blast barrier in door to break line of sight and mess with their heads.
- Then invisibility/hiding for summoning swarms, buffing and pits.
- Or web and stinking cloud, glitterdust
- Or damage with burning arc (rime spell)
- Also pushing them in pits for fun with true strike and hydrolic push.

RogueDM
2013-07-24, 03:44 PM
(As Inspector Clouseau) "Ah-ha, ze lunatic Dreifus!"

He sounds like a good nemesis, and a well deserved one. Homicide is not an acceptable way to tell somebody that they've been sacked.

Regarding the Tomb, if it were me GMing, I would start it off slow as to imply it was actually doable, but then crank it to "eleven". Having already passed some of the traps means that they've already invested time and effort into the endeavor and are more likely to waste resources trying. If you start off with something showstopping they may just look at it and say, "Pffffft!" and go home.

Nothing to add on your nemesis though. I've always liked a clever goblin. My first DM was appalled that more than one of this players wanted to try -talking- to goblins.

Moranica
2013-07-24, 03:49 PM
I like the sound of that! I was also wondering if I should provide more clues as to whether or not the peace proposal is the real deal.

Btw, I didn't invent Dreifus. I ran into him in one of the games here on the forum (AvB? anyone), where he was still a student who'd just joined. Instant love ensued, so I grew him old. :smallbiggrin:

Moranica
2013-07-31, 12:44 PM
Alright, made some progress.

They got the letter and went silly as expected.

"It has to be a trap"

"Yes, so let's go get that artifact"

And then they just ran in, uncaring. Until the first person plummeted in a 100 ft spike-trap. (which is no fun with 40-ish hp) Then someone decided to dive into the sphere of annihilation, after I asked him trice, are you sure. And one of the other charaters said. It says here to avoid anything with that color.

So far,
1 died
1 got teleported out naked (which apparently is no good as a wizard....)
And 2 are stuck inside, unsure how to get out and convinced they'll die.

I know, it is cruel to toss lvl 6 charaters in a CR 9 dungeon riddled with traps, of which most would insta kill them. :smallbiggrin: