PDA

View Full Version : Jartongue (for lack of a better name) magic item

Perseus
2013-07-24, 02:16 PM
Still working on this but here are my initial thoughts on this weapon. This should be a powerful and flavorful weapon that should be lots of fun. I have some fluff I'll add later.

Jartongue or the Magic Jar Blade is a weapon that allows the wielder to take control of their enemies as their body takes on the traits of an undead (though it is not but does gain immunity to mind effecting spells and effects) that will fight for the PC.

The Jartongue can be any martial weapon. It radiates strong necromancy.

Properties of the Jartongue

Wielder must attune to the weapon before any properties are unlocked. To attune to the weapon a PC must make a DC 20 Strength or Constitution check.

Jartongue is a MW weapon automatically.

Starting at level 4 and every 3 levels after that the bonus on the Jartongue increases by +1 to a maximum of +5 at level 16. This is for all purposes the magical enhancement for the weapon.

Starting at level 5 the attuned PC may cast magic jar as the spell 1/Day . For every 4 levels past 5th magic jar may be cast an additional time per day.

The magic jar cast through this weapon is a bit different than the spell as described below.

The Jartongue is the "jar" for the soul of the PC and the creature that is targeted.

While in the Jartongue or another creature from the use of this ability, the jartongue keeps your body working as a husk. The husk has the following traits.

Immune to mind effecting spells and abilities.
Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma becomes 3
Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity stays the same.
May obey simple commands from the attuned PC (such as follow, Hide, Flee, Stop, Defend, Attack, and Fetch).

(I'll finish later)

The duration last for a number of hours equal to the ECL of the attuned PC.

The PC may choose to target the creatures Fort save rather than Will save. The save DC is 10 + 1/2 ECL + PC's Con Mod

At level 10 the attuned PC is immune to any spell that would take ongoing control of the PC.

At level 20 the magic jar ability may be used at will

Any thoughts?.

Amnoriath
2013-07-24, 04:44 PM
1. What is the save DC?
2. You say it gains undead traits. Does that mean all of them?

Debihuman
2013-07-24, 05:30 PM
Why isn't this an artifact? You can't just add bonuses without adding the commensurate cost for those benefits, so this is going to be a mighty expensive item.

Masterwork is just the start. As soon as you add enhancement bonuses the cost goes up (WAAAY up) and it has to be a magical weapon to have enhancement bonuses.

Debby

Perseus
2013-07-24, 09:56 PM
Changed some stuff.

This is the first of many weapons of legend I would like to create. Flametongue and Frostbrand will get their updates eventually.

I hate how normal weapons and artifacts are made in 3.5... Legacy weapons are a step in the right direction but has we weird drawbacks that make no sense.