PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Best (unusual?) Thief class(es)?

Norin
2013-07-24, 02:22 PM
Howdy!

So i was thinking today (amazing, right?) and wanted to hear from the playground on this issue.

What class or class combination makes the best thieves? Not only judging from the ability to pilfer an item (sleight of hand skill check) from someone, but rather the ability to pull heists and daring capers, while still being a versatile adventurer.

Unlikely, but effective thieves:

- The Druid: Wildshape into something small like a rat or sparrow to get into places. Got caught? Diplomacy is on your skill list! Still can't get away? No worries, you are a tier 1 caster.

- The Wizard: Because wizard. Or rather, you have the best and most versatile spell list around. You can use this in a billion ways to steal things.

- The Barbarian: Conan anyone? :smalltongue:

- The Rogue: Well duh, this is not really unlikely is it?

- The Factotum: See above?

What do you guys and gals think? What makes for the best thieves without being a thaditional thief/rogue, and how?

Toliudar
2013-07-24, 02:27 PM
I would of course argue for Conan being a warblade/rogue, but that's an old, old conversation.

If a thief is 'someone who steals things', then there are ways for any of the classes to do that. Crusader thugs, bard conmen, etc.

Like most things, casters do it especially well. A psion nomad or sorcerer built around infiltration could make a great sneak-thief. Tier 1's can mostly wake up in the morning and decide to become thieves for a day.

I think that, in terms of having all of the tools built into their class abilities, though, Beguiler would get my vote. Even more so with a mindbender dip and a bit of Arcane Disciple (Travel) to increase the travel abilities.

Psyren
2013-07-24, 02:32 PM
Factotum is much, much stronger than Rogue so I'm not sure what you meant by "see above."

Anyhow, I really like the Psychic Rogue's bag of tricks - they are capable of a lot (like any good T3) but at the same time they never really lose that roguish feel where all you really need to get by in life is a piece of wire and your wits.

But then, I may be biased towards them since I wrote that handbook :smallbiggrin:

Norin
2013-07-24, 02:38 PM
Factotum is much, much stronger than Rogue so I'm not sure what you meant by "see above."

Well "see above" directs you to the comment on the rogue. It's rather given that a factotum does it well. And i agree, most times better than the rogue too.

Think a swordsage with shadow hand would make a good thief? Or maybe a warlock with the invis\detect magic\umd\dimension hopping invocations and abilities?

How would a Dread Necro pull it off? :smallbiggrin:

VariSami
2013-07-24, 03:09 PM
Ninja. After all, the class is about being able to go wherever they want access (Acrobatics, Speed Climb, Great Leap), making surprise attacks at guards (even more so than Rogues since it only works when Dex is denied; I would like a build that tries to finish on the first round of any combat with Sudden Strike and Iai Focus) and vanishing (Ghost Step; also makes you ethereal to move through walls).

They might not be the strongest class around but the flavor and many of the mechanics seem perfect for the job.

nedz
2013-07-24, 03:43 PM
Beguiler — All the right skills and most of the right spells. It's quite easy to add more spells which can help — Divine Oracle, Arcane Disciple, etc.

Warlock — Excellent at infiltration/exfiltration/counter infiltration etc.

Talionis
2013-07-24, 05:06 PM
Incarnate: see here for answer by the numbers http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870566/Incarnate_by_the_numbers

DMVerdandi
2013-07-24, 05:22 PM
Any type of necromancer.

Have your ghosts infiltrate a place to scope it out, cast spells to insure communication between your undead, and have another undead, possibly enchanted by you run in and steal whatever is needed. As you aren't doing the deed, you keep a steady alibi.

ArqArturo
2013-07-24, 05:48 PM
Beguiler, because he doesn't have to waste precious skillpoints in open lock, climb, move silently, hide, and jump (sorta).

Oh, spellcasting helps, too.

And the Illumian Beguiler/Loredelver combo is awesome.