PDA

View Full Version : Dexterity and polearms

ThreeDSix
2013-07-24, 04:19 PM
Hello Playground!

The Goddess Google, in all her wisdom, has chosen not to provide me with an answer. So I turn to the Council in the Playground for advice:

Is there any way to apply weapon finesse to a polearm, or does any class feature exist that does this?

Barring that, is there any concievable cheese that would allow one to do this?

I have a Dex focussed Duskblade that I'd like to equip with a halberd / longspear / long, sharp and pointy, for fluff and houserule reasons.

Thanks All!

Kudaku
2013-07-24, 04:29 PM
...I got nothing. Sorry :smallfrown:

Closest I got was one-handing a quarterstaff via Quarterstaff Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/quarterstaff-master-combat), but I couldn't find a way to make the staff qualify for weapon finesse. It might be worth stating what sources you're allowed to use?

Barsoom
2013-07-24, 04:32 PM
Spiked Chain has the same reach as a Polearm, and comes pre-approved for Weapon Finesse. Requires a feat. Just spend a feat on it, use the Spiked Chain combat statistics, and work with your DM to refluff it as some kind of Polearm.

ThreeDSix
2013-07-24, 06:13 PM
...I got nothing. Sorry :smallfrown:

Closest I got was one-handing a quarterstaff via Quarterstaff Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/quarterstaff-master-combat), but I couldn't find a way to make the staff qualify for weapon finesse. It might be worth stating what sources you're allowed to use?

At the moment I'm just fishing, so anything short of homebrew.

As for the spiked chain, I am aware of it. :smallsmile:
Problem is, in the homebrew setting I'm playing in, spellcasters must use a wand or staff as a focus to cast, so I'd like to use a polearm as a focus. Spiked Chains just aren't rigid enough, I'm afraid. :smalltongue:

Diarmuid
2013-07-24, 06:19 PM
Would an Aptitude weapon allow you to use finesse or does that only work on weapon specific abilities like Focus/Spec/Crit/etc?

Namfuak
2013-07-24, 06:38 PM
Would an Aptitude weapon allow you to use finesse or does that only work on weapon specific abilities like Focus/Spec/Crit/etc?

I'd say it's "ask your DM" territory, if it weren't for the fact that the examples are clearly listing feats that only work on specific weapons ("finessable" could be considered a weapon "type," but is clearly not the same use of the word as weapon focus and the like).

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-24, 06:46 PM
Feycraft from DMG2 makes one-handed weapons finessable, so a feycraft lance could arguably count while mounted.

JustPlayItLoud
2013-07-24, 07:27 PM
Companion Guard Style from Dragon #315 lets you finesse a longsword or longspear, and gives +2 to confirm critical hits with bows. Elf only though.

Saidoro
2013-07-24, 09:21 PM
It was probably intended to work only on those abilities, but the way it's written means it works on almost anything.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-25, 03:33 AM
Companion Guard Style from Dragon #315 lets you finesse a longsword or longspear, and gives +2 to confirm critical hits with bows. Elf only though.

That's more than what I found.

As bad as it is to apply logic to 3.5, the sheer weight of polearms seems like it would make the kind of fighting that is usually done by finessers quite difficult to say the least (and the fact that you can do it with spiked chains is bonkers). A normal warrior is powering through armor, a finesser is stiking the blade in weakspots.

Ossian
2013-07-25, 04:28 AM
I am going to go with "yes, you can" finesse a pole-arm, no matter what the core rule books says

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HteWi8JfAFU

GlorinSteampike
2013-07-25, 04:42 AM
I am going to go with "yes, you can" finesse a pole-arm, no matter what the core rule books says

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HteWi8JfAFU

You can dance with a Battleaxe too

Valwyn
2013-07-25, 11:14 AM

Problem is, in the homebrew setting I'm playing in, spellcasters must use a wand or staff as a focus to cast, so I'd like to use a polearm as a focus. Spiked Chains just aren't rigid enough, I'm afraid. :smalltongue:

Maybe use the stats for a spiked chain and fluff it as a three section staff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2uyHK-kXrA)? I think they can be used as a regular staff as well.

Kazy
2013-07-26, 08:26 AM
Balanced weapon enchantment; +1 from Arms and Equipment Guide.

Let's you treat a weapon one size smaller than it is. + Weapon finesse feat.
Go bananas, get 2 of them and go twf for hilariousness.

Kudaku
2013-07-26, 12:48 PM
You can dance with a Battleaxe too

And Brutal Throw lets you add strength modifier to your to-hit bonus with thrown weapons , and snowflake wardance lets you add charisma to +to hit.

Let's try to avoid the whole "it's not realistic!" argument.

SethoMarkus
2013-07-26, 01:03 PM

I believe Barsoom's idea was to houserule and refluff the Spiked Chain into a (rigid) polearm weapon. Since Spiked Chain is Finesse-able, the idea was to take the same stats and apply it to a homebrew polearm instead.