PDA

View Full Version : celerity?

drakoonity
2013-07-24, 04:24 PM
OK so I've read the celerity spell and idk I think im missing something on it, or im thinking too small. The only thing I can possibly think about it is that I might be able to do two spells or more spells within a full initive. If anyone can help me please, I'm hearing this spell is awesome I'm just not seeing it I guess.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-24, 04:33 PM
Because having Celerity means you always go first. At higher levels where the first move usually decides the battle this is invaluable.

Morcleon
2013-07-24, 04:36 PM
Because having Celerity means you always go first. At higher levels where the first move usually decides the battle this is invaluable.

Actually, it's more useful as an instant contingency to dodge an attack or interrupt something. As an immediate action spell, it can't be cast if you're flat-footed.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-24, 04:37 PM
It also means that a wizard of a certain level can avoid any encounter they aren't totally prepared to ace, by immediate action teleporting away. Come back with the right spells in 15 minutes and lay waste to the enemies.

The key here is that an immediate action spell can be cast on the enemy's turn. It interrupts the enemy's action and gives the wizard an action in the meantime. Buff the party, kill spell, run away; the tactical advantage really can't get much better than having the run of the action economy.

Of course, the daze drawback is a drawback. At least until the caster finds a way to become immune to daze (several methods exist).

Rebel7284
2013-07-24, 04:38 PM
Actually, it's more useful as an instant contingency to dodge an attack or interrupt something. As an immediate action spell, it can't be cast if you're flat-footed.

Why be flat footed when you can be turtle?

:D

That is pretty high level though and probably gets old, fast, for the caster.

sleepyphoenixx

A high level wizard is never flat footed. There's a spell for that. :smalltongue:

Karnith
It's more useful in high-level games when used to go first, as Foresight makes sure you're never flat-footed.

Speaking of high-level games, Celerity into Time Stop is pretty fun.

Morcleon
2013-07-24, 04:42 PM
A high level wizard is never flat footed. There's a spell for that. :smalltongue:

It's more useful in high-level games when used to go first, as Foresight makes sure you're never flat-footed.

Speaking of high-level games, Celerity into Time Stop is pretty fun.

True, but until you get Foresight, you'll still need a lot of Init. :smalltongue:

Celerity to Time Stop is awesome. It's my standard opening move for most things at that level. :smalltongue:

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-24, 04:54 PM
In general, this level of "no, my turn now" is among the strongest type of ability in the game. Belt of battle, time stop, Island in Time/Time Stands Still, and the celerity line are all about manipulating and multiplying the action economy. In the hands of wizard, already the most versatile and powerful ship in the fleet, this ability is very formidable.

I personally don't allow the spell. It sets up a tempo to later encounters that will remove the drama of initiative checks (cause the wizard goes when the wizard wants, not when the dice say), and that will make the normal fast characters feel pretty lame (though the wizard stands to be the fastest draw in the party, anyway). Finally, the wizard can ace/avoid/run the encounter whenever, so that really takes the pressure off the rest of the party in a way that I don't like.

Finally, and the real reason I don't use it, enemy spellcasters with access to it would pretty much never get killed unless they were asleep at the wheel. I don't want players to obsess over this spell that is so good that no wizard would ever not have it prepared.

And let's not even get started with the silly interaction with contingency and Craft Contingent Spell.

TypoNinja
2013-07-24, 06:12 PM
You can also get up to some serious shenanigans with Celerity and Arcane Fusion.

Use Greater Arcane Fusion to cast Arcane Fusion and a 4th level spell, Use Arcane Fusion to cast a first level spell and Celerity. Use your Celerity standard action to cast another Greater Arcane Fusion.

I'm a fan of metamagic reduced fell draining to make the 1st level slots threatening.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-24, 07:04 PM
You can also get up to some serious shenanigans with Celerity and Arcane Fusion.

Use Greater Arcane Fusion to cast Arcane Fusion and a 4th level spell, Use Arcane Fusion to cast a first level spell and Celerity. Use your Celerity standard action to cast another Greater Arcane Fusion.

I'm a fan of metamagic reduced fell draining to make the 1st level slots threatening.

Ack, it's the twinned synchronicity abuse all over again. Nuuu.....

Grod_The_Giant
2013-07-24, 07:06 PM
OK so I've read the celerity spell and idk I think im missing something on it, or im thinking too small. The only thing I can possibly think about it is that I might be able to do two spells or more spells within a full initive. If anyone can help me please, I'm hearing this spell is awesome I'm just not seeing it I guess.
And, of course, two spells per turn is really good. Magic is king in 3.5, and being able to cast twice as many spells in the same amount of time is, well, twice as good. How about dropping a solid fog and a cloudkill in the same area in the same turn? How 'bout summoning and immedietly buffing your new minions?

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-24, 07:21 PM
And, of course, two spells per turn is really good. Magic is king in 3.5, and being able to cast twice as many spells in the same amount of time is, well, twice as good. How about dropping a solid fog and a cloudkill in the same area in the same turn? How 'bout summoning and immedietly buffing your new minions?

I actually argued once in vaguely related discussion gestalt that twice as much cool is more than twice as powerful. The synergy of specific abilities and the increase in economy will allow challenge defeating/enemy extermination in potentially a fraction of the time, which can save immense party resources in the long run. It won't always run like this (sometimes it will be a little less than twice as powerful, sometimes just twice as powerful). But, if used intelligently, more magic scales the same way magic scales, non-linearly. (Though a good argument can be made that it doesn't scale as fast as magic generally, especially in this specific instance with the time constraint of spells used in the same round).

Also, the second action doesn't have to be more spells. Drinking potions, reading scrolls, opening doors, solving crossword clues. More time is more effective.