PDA

View Full Version : I need Published adventure advice.(DAHA)

D20ragon
2013-07-24, 04:57 PM
So,I have recently got into published adventures.previously,I have just been developing adventures myself,but there seems to be a huge supply of great material.And so,I reach my question.Does Anyone Have Advice*
for running published adventures?

*hey,that's kinda cool! From now on,DAHA means Does Anyone Have Advice,ok?

CaladanMoonblad
2013-07-24, 05:43 PM
I rarely use canned adventures, for the simple reason that my players are pretty active readers, and I'd hate to run something one of them already has read or knows about.

But I have used them in the past when my groups had less reader oriented proclivities, and I can say... it took a lot of work. Almost none of the suggested adventure hooks ever really worked for my players. As linear story lines, I ended up having to fill in the spaces more often than not, as the adventures feel more like a "spam sandwich" than a full course 3-dimensional meal.

The other thing I realized was that the generic encounters ran either too easily or were too brutal. You cannot almost ever run a canned scenario "as is." They always require tweaking for your group's makeup and level of optimization.

Kudaku
2013-07-24, 05:49 PM
Are you playing 3.5 or Pathfinder?

Paizo has put out some pretty damn awesome Adventure Paths for PF, essentially a published adventure that takes you from level 1 to 18.

supervillan
2013-07-24, 06:12 PM
I have a fair number of old 1e classic adventures that I've adapted for 3.5e since I never managed to run all of them when I was DMing 1e games. The campaign I am currently running incorporates some of those old classics: I have written linking material and have created recurring themes.

It is a lot of work, but I enjoy giving new life to the classics. I just ran Bone Hill in the campaign. The original scenario written for levels 2-4, and assumed a party size of 6 to 8 characters. The party in my game is 4 characters, and Bone Hill took them from levels 3 to 7. As you can guess from that, I reworked the original a lot. But it wasn't too hard to give a bunch of bugbears class levels and add a level or two to boss monsters. As it was written some of the encounters in the original module would be exceptionally deadly to low level PCs.

I think take what you like from the pre-packaged adventures, do some development work on fitting them into a campaign, and you'll have fun.

D20ragon
2013-07-24, 08:26 PM
I like the adventure paths,but I've also taken to reworking some older adventures(such as temple of elemental evil),the sunless citadel series is also pretty cool.