PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Rogue/Zen Archer

Rainsinger
2013-07-24, 06:44 PM
Long story short, I'm that guy. I have 600 characters sitting around as pdfs and google docs playing with ideas and iterations to see if things work.

But this one... I just can't put my finger on this regarding one specific point.

Here's the breakdown:

Assume CL6
Rogue 1-2
Zen Archer 3-6
Sneak Attack 1d6
Has a bunch of feats, most importantly Point Blank Master
Has unarmed strikes.

If said lawful rogue were to stand in melee directly opposite one of his allies, effectively flanking him, would that flanking be applicable for his sneak attack with his ranged attacks (since he incurs no penalty for doing so)?

It seems like the answer would be yes, as he does currently threaten the enemy, but I just haven't been able to find a really solid yes or no on this.

Feralventas
2013-07-24, 07:10 PM
I'm not sure how you're getting Point Blank Master without Ranger 6 or Fighter 4 somewhere in that build, as Weapon Specialization is a prerequisite on the SRD unless you're a Ranger taking it as a combat style option at 6th or above.

Additionally, I think you mean Character Level by CL, but normally you'll want ECL for Effective Character Level as CL tends to refer to Caster Level, something of which you don't get from many rogue or monk options.

That said, you would threaten with your Melee attacks, while your Ranged attacks would probably not suffice for your purposes without the Snap Shot feat.

grarrrg
2013-07-24, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure how you're getting Point Blank Master without Ranger 6 or Fighter 4 somewhere in that build, as Weapon Specialization is a prerequisite on the SRD unless you're a Ranger taking it as a combat style option at 6th or above.

Zen Archer Monks (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/zen-archer) get it as a bonus feat at level 3.
One of the things that make it a great archetype.
They also get Weapon Specialization at level 6. So either way he could qualify.

That said, you would threaten with your Melee attacks, while your Ranged attacks would probably not suffice for your purposes without the Snap Shot feat.

What he said.
In your example, you would be threatening the target with your Melee attack, not your Ranged attack.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-07-24, 08:27 PM
I would drop the rogue entirely. Maybe pick some up later if you care so much about it. But level 6 is possibly the pinnacle of the Zen Archer and you should strive to get there as fast as possible. If you're starting at level 6, you want to be a ZA Monk 6. Improved Precise Shot is super important, and while Weapon Specialization isn't that amazing... +2 damage is not much lower than the 1d6 SA gives, and is not situational. Level 6 in ZA Monk also means another attack (when flurrying, since then your BAB is +6/+1).

HylianKnight
2013-07-25, 05:37 PM
I'll second the question of what you want to accomplish with the Rogue options? Just asking because 1d6 doesn't seem to be doing much and there are many options, especially when it comes to archetypes, that let you do Roguish things, and more that actually have synergy with the Zen Archer (like the Heretic Inquisitor for example). Keep in mind that the PF Rogue isn't as unique as the 3.5 Rogue for dipping purposes thanks to the fact that anyone can disable non-magical traps, the condensed skill list, the easy cross-class skill access, etc.