PDA

View Full Version : Low LA large race?

qwertyu63
2013-07-24, 06:48 PM
I need a low LA (+0 to +2) race that is large sized, in order to finish a theme (A party spread out over the sizes). This character will be the party tank.

Karnith
2013-07-24, 06:51 PM
Half-Ogres, in their various incarnations, are Large. The Savage Species version is LA +1, the Races of Destiny version is LA +2, and the version in Dragon Magazine 313 (which is actually a template) is LA +1.

Half-Minotaur is another template in Dragon 313, which also ups you to Large size for LA +1 (and which you can stack with Half-Ogre at no additional LA).

CyberThread
2013-07-24, 06:53 PM
half minatour :smallcool:

LOTRfan
2013-07-24, 06:53 PM
Goliath and Half-Giant (while both technically Medium) have the Powerful Build trait, which allows them to be treated as large under several circumstances. They are both LA +1.

Speaking of LA +1, you have Half-Ogre, which actually is a Large-sized race. I don't know what size Enekos (descendents of Ogres and Half-Giants from Secrets of Sarlona) are, but chances are they're probably Large or Medium with Powerful build as well.

qwertyu63
2013-07-24, 07:03 PM
half minatour :smallcool:

Reading all the options, this will do it. /thread.

Immabozo
2013-07-24, 07:09 PM
Also golliath with barbarian racial sub levels gets size large when raging

HalfQuart
2013-07-25, 12:00 PM
Half-Minotaur is another template in Dragon 313, which also ups you to Large size for LA +1 (and which you can stack with Half-Ogre at no additional LA).
So just to clarify, Half-Minotaur is LA +1 whether you get the size increase or not... the only place on a large base creature where you don't get the +1 is for CR.

Karnith
2013-07-25, 03:25 PM
So just to clarify, Half-Minotaur is LA +1 whether you get the size increase or not... the only place on a large base creature where you don't get the +1 is for CR.
Sorry if my wording was confusing; the variable LA is on the Half-Ogre template, not Half-Minotaur. You add Half-Minotaur first for LA +1 and Large size, then you add Half-Ogre on top of that. Since you're already Large from Half-Minotaur, you get no additional LA from the Half-Ogre template.