PDA

View Full Version : Good creatures to battle undead and constructs

cowsay
2013-07-24, 08:23 PM
I'm taking over for a DM I've never played with. Anyway, the players have as part of their team both constructs and undead of various types. I would like to give the party a challenge. Are there good creatures to pit against constructs and undead? I know that I can bring highish level clerics and wizards to bear, but I'm hoping for something a little more original.

Urpriest
2013-07-24, 08:29 PM
Constructs tend to have weak Reflex saves, so monsters with webs have an easy time catching them. Undead are also usually bad at this. Both have bad Fort saves, though this is harder to exploit for monsters.

cowsay
2013-07-25, 01:54 PM
Thanks. That's helpful. So, big spiders will help withthe constructs and some of the undead. Any other ideas out there?

Psyren
2013-07-25, 02:03 PM
To build off Urpriest's suggestion, plenty of traps are nasty if you have a poor reflex save as well. You can even combine a complex trap with monsters that can ignore the effects - say, spike traps combined with incorporeal undead or oozes. As a bonus, if they have a rogue with them, that person will have something to do (but let him disarm some, not all of them.)

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-25, 02:11 PM
Did you know that a beholder's eye rays are supernatural and thus bypass the magic immunity of golems.
Disintegration vs low fort saves... never a good day.

The Viscount
2013-07-25, 04:13 PM
A Susurrus from MMIII is a good anti-undead monster, as it specifically has abilities against them.

cowsay
2013-07-25, 09:03 PM
That's a good one. They're kind of interesting creatures, to boot.

mabriss lethe
2013-07-25, 09:11 PM
MMIII also has the Rot Reaver. It quite literally eats undead for breakfast. (It can also, if memory serves me, rebuke undead.)

Eyclonus
2013-07-26, 12:17 AM
Why not throw a bunch of misguided Paladins at them, sort of like the Scarlet Crusade from WoW?

Dayaz
2013-07-26, 04:17 AM
i'm going to go along with the fact that you did say "good" creature, so I'm going to assume you wanted a good aligned critter.

Unicorns can cast Cure Spells through their horns. Cure spells do damage to undead. Herd of Unicorns cure the zombies to death. Also, the advanced Unicon casts as a cleric, and I think clerics have a spell that rusts metal?

DaltonTrigger
2013-07-26, 04:21 AM
Rust monsters, enemy paladins, or basically any kind of celestial creature. Enemies with adamant weapons. Enemies with capabilities to hit-and-run on the PCs without having to slog through their minions (Like dragons, archers riding pegasus, pixies with PC levels....)

Edit: In a lot of games I've seen, the hit and run is severely underestimated. Against parties that rely heavily on magic and buffs, it's so effective to attack them full force, wait for them to start throwing down their heavy buffs and artillery spells, then GTFO and wait till later.

Eventually they'll have to rest. Hit them again in their sleep, and flee again. Don't let them sleep for 8 solid hours. Don't let them regain spells. Exhaust them and grind them down like water erodes a cliff.

cowsay
2013-07-26, 07:14 AM
i'm going to go along with the fact that you did say "good" creature, so I'm going to assume you wanted a good aligned critter.

Unicorns can cast Cure Spells through their horns. Cure spells do damage to undead. Herd of Unicorns cure the zombies to death. Also, the advanced Unicon casts as a cleric, and I think clerics have a spell that rusts metal?

Thanks. I actually meant "good" as in effective, useful, or fitting the bill. Granted, I'm not opposed to good-aligned creatures. Evil creatures will work as well.

cerin616
2013-07-26, 11:03 AM
"Good" enemies also fits flavor really nicely, what with undead being "evil" and all.

I like paladins. Paladin's are nice

cowsay
2013-07-27, 12:02 AM
There is some joy in paladins being especially effective.

RogueDM
2013-07-27, 11:44 AM
Killoren (RotW) get a smite ability while manifesting the Aspect of the Destroyer, works against both undead and constructs (also oozes and aberrations).

Dayaz
2013-07-27, 02:13 PM
Thanks. I actually meant "good" as in effective, useful, or fitting the bill. Granted, I'm not opposed to good-aligned creatures. Evil creatures will work as well.

Admittedly, it was mostly for the amusing image of a bunch of unicorns owning the minionmancers lol

Manly Man
2013-07-27, 02:48 PM
Crusaders would fit very well in both flavor (holy warriors and whatnot) and in challenge, since a level three Crusader's already got the means to bypass most of the durability of undead and constructs with the Mountain Hammer maneuver. The undead in the party will already be kinda scared about what at first looks like a Paladin, but then the construct will be reeling when he takes a hit that smashes into him like he's just a bunch of wicker.