PDA

View Full Version : Build advice: 3.5 Aasimar Warlock Bluffmancer

The honest illusionist
2013-07-24, 09:29 PM
My DM is setting up a new 3.5 campaign where we each play half-breed races 'unique' to the game world, unaware of our origins or true nature. Long story short, I'm building a chaotic neutral Aasimar Warlock focused on Bluff Checks and mobility. I like playing unusual characters that challenge both me and the DM.

In terms of Invocations, I'm limited to what's in CA, at least for character creation--which suits me just fine. Most of the useful invocations were written along with the class. (This does mean I don't have immediate access to eldrich glaive. This is a world where magic's not so thoroughly studied, other casters will be limited to the SRD. We can quest to find more unusual magic.)

Here's my warlock. (http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=9570) Keep in mind the DM okayed the Chameleon prestige class, and I'm building towards that. Here's are the highlights:

5th Level character (LA buyout at CL3), 12000XP
Skills: +24 bluff, +17 disguise, +17 intimidate, +15 diplomacy, +13 UMD, +11 spellcraft, +10 concentration (and the False Theurgy skill trick)
Feats: Human Heritage, Able Learner, Point Blank Shot
Flaw: Vulnerable
Traits: Dishonest, Quick
Items: Circlet of Persuasion, Cloak of Charisma
Invocations: Eldrich Spear, Baleful Utterance, Beguiling Influence

My thinking is I should take Warlock 6 for Fell Flight, then grab chameleon 1-3 for the Floating Feat and 3rd level Bard spells. This will give me a total of one hour of +59 Bluff per day at level 9. Because of the wording of glibness, I don't think this would let me implant suggestions, but it would be very potent with a little bit of cleverness and common sense. (I'm not going to try to convince people they're wallabies or already dead.)

I'm not sure what other spells I should pick up, or what I should do beyond that point. I could either immediately continue boosting my abilities through Chameleon (and access to a good but limited variety of low-mid level spells) or progress as a Warlock (and snag nice invocations).

Straight-forward choice would be to go with Warlock until I get imbue item (at character level 15); but would it be better to advance as a Chameleon? Let me know what you think.

I'd appreciate build advice, useful low level bard spells, invocations and magic items.

Fyermind
2013-07-24, 09:37 PM
Chameleon is a much more powerful class than warlock. Sticking with it could be very good, but you may stop feeling like a warlock if you do.

The honest illusionist
2013-07-24, 10:02 PM
Chameleon is a much more powerful class than warlock. Sticking with it could be very good, but you may stop feeling like a warlock if you do.
Yeah, I've heard Chameleon really comes into its own at the 7th class level. The problem is my character's optimized for maneuverability, to boost face skills as soon as possible, and use UMD -- all at the expense of combat skills. That's not such a problem when I'm only making ranged touch attacks as a warlock. Aside from a shortcut to spells and that floating feat, Chameleon might not help me in combat.

What else does advancing as chameleon get me with this build? Keep in mind I don't know how long this game will go for; Glibness at level 9 might be an endgame spell for me.