PDA

View Full Version : counter casting question

Darth Stabber
2013-07-24, 11:45 PM
So counter casting, for those unfamiliar, is a tactic to be used by spellcasters against enemy spellcasters. In it's most basic form it's similar to counterspelling, but with celerity and other action economy boosters it gets slightly more ridiculous. In it's most basic form it involves readying an action cast a damage spell at the enemy as they begin casting a spell. When they start to cast, you blast. They take damage during the casting of a spell forcing them to make a concentration check or lose the spell. This technique combines blasting and countering into a single action, making the action economy work for you. Obviously it has limited applications, as it only affects spellcasters, and allows a concentration check to avoid countering on top of whatever roll is involved with hitting with the spell, but it's close to dispel countering in terms of likelyhood of success, way easier than normal countering (which requires the same spell be used),and doesn't require any feat, class features, or other such contrivances (improved counterspell, reactive counterspell, having a suitable counter prepared), just a standard action damage spell with enough range preped ready to go.

This leads me to my question: If I countercast with Orb of fire, and the enemy fails the save against the daze effect, does the dazing prevent the spell from completing or does the caster move on to the concentration check, and just be dazed after that?

Segev
2013-07-25, 12:11 AM
Given that a readied action goes off BEFORE the triggering effect (since if you killed the enemy caster with it, he wouldn't get the spell off), he is dazed before he even starts the action to cast the spell. Technically, he doesn't lose the spell slot, because he didn't act.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-25, 12:31 AM
Given that a readied action goes off BEFORE the triggering effect (since if you killed the enemy caster with it, he wouldn't get the spell off), he is dazed before he even starts the action to cast the spell. Technically, he doesn't lose the spell slot, because he didn't act.

I am assuming that the triggering action is beginning to cast the spell, much like how attacks of opportunity interupt casting. The idea isn't to kill the enemy caster (though that would be grand), but to force a concentration check, just like an attack of opportunity would force one. The point is that he is already in the process of casting the spell when the orb finds it's mark. I know that hitting before and having the daze stick would prevent the spell, but becoming dazed DURING the casting was where the issue is

Segev
2013-07-25, 12:35 AM
Well, again, what happens if you DO kill him with the readied spell? Ignore the daze effect for the moment. If you kill him, does the spell still go off?

Answer that, and you have your answer to whether dazing him will stop the spell automatically or not.