PDA

View Full Version : [PF Monster] Brân {PEACH}

Calmar
2013-07-25, 08:09 AM
Brân, the abyssal queen of slaughter and destruction, is the force behind the infamous action of the enemies of my players' characters and will appear when they believe to be victorious, bound to bring calamity over the mortal world.
After great success with my raven fiends (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247031), it's time for my players to face the mother of these evils. It's CR 15, but in the reality of my past 10 years of gaming, there has never been a single foe as powerful as this one is supposed to be.

Brân

Out of the pitch-black darkness of the tempest a hulking creature takes shape, its dark silhouette outlined by gleam of the strokes of lightning racing through the abysmal sky. The four-winged creature has two awful crow heads with gleaming red eyes and its grotesque bird-like limbs end in razor-sharp claws. Its heads emit a horrid scream.

Brân_______________________________CR 15
CE Large outsider (chaotic, demon, evil, extraplanar)
Init +11 Senses all-around vision, darkvision 60 ft., true seeing; Perception +35
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic, Sylvan; telepathy 100 ft.
Aura unholy aura (DC 26), unnatural aura (30 ft.)
Immune electricity and poison
Resist acid 10, cold 10, fire 10
Fort +18, Ref +12, Will +16
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Base Atk +17; CMB +28; CMD 49 (+17 BAB, +10 Str, +7 Dex, +1 size +4 deflection)
Atk Options Critical Focus, Bleeding Critical, rend (2 claws, 1d8+15)
Special Actions Combat Reflexes, Flyby Attack, spontaneous casting (inflict spells)
Combat Gear none
Cleric Spells Prepared (CL 12th; concentration +18 [+4 Combat Casting]):
6th—animate objects, chain lightningD, greater dispel magic, harm (+27 melee touch) (DC 22)
5th—flame strike (DC 21), greater command (DC 21), shoutD (DC 21), slay living (2) (+27 melee touch) (DC 21)
4th—chaos hammer (DC 20), dismissal (DC 20), freedom of movement, inflict critical woundsD, poison (+27 melee touch) (DC 20)
3rd—bestow curse (+27 melee touch) (DC 19), blindness/deafness (2) (DC 19), deeper darkness, magic circle against goodD, wind wall
2nd—bull’s strengthD, death knell (DC 18), desecrate, hold person (2) (DC 18), silence (DC 18), sound burst (DC 18)
1st—curse water, detect good, divine favor, doom (DC 17), entropic shield, obscuring mist, true strikeD
0—bleed (DC 16), detect magic, guidance, read magic
D: Domain Spell. Domains: Air, Destruction, Evil, Strength. Deity: Brân.
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 17th; concentration +25 [+4 Combat Casting]):
Constant—true seeing, unholy aura (DC 26)
3/day—summon swarm (murder of crows (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/murder-of-crows) only)
1/day—call lightning storm (DC 23), summon (level 7, 1 vrock (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/demon/vrock) 70%)
At will—control weather (as druid), crushing despair (DC 22), dispel magic, greater teleport (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only), lightning bolt (+24 ranged touch), unholy blight (DC 22)
Skills Acrobatics +24, Bluff +25, Diplomacy +25, Fly +26, Intimidate +25, Knowledge (planes) +21, Perception +35, Sense Motive +23, Stealth +20, Use Magic Device +25
Possessions none
Environment any (Abyss)
Organization unique
Unnatural Aura (Su): Animals, except for crows and ravens, do not willingly approach within 30 feet of Brân, unless a master makes a DC 25 Handle Animal, Ride, or wild empathy check.
Rend (Ex): If she hits with two or more natural attacks in 1 round, Brân can cause tremendous damage by latching onto the opponent’s body and tearing flesh. This attack deals an additional 1d8+15 points of damage, but no more than once per round.
Two-Headed (Ex): Brân can be slain by severing both of her heads or by slaying her body. Any attack that is not an attempt to sever a head affects the body, including area attacks or attacks that cause piercing or bludgeoning damage. To sever a head, an opponent must make a sunder attempt with a slashing weapon targeting a head. A head is considered a separate weapon with hardness 0 and 57 hit points. To sever a head, an opponent must inflict enough damage to reduce the head's hit points to 0 or less. Severing a head deals 15 points of damage to Brân's body. She can't attack with a severed head and loses the benefits of her All-Around Vision, but takes no other penalties. Brân regrows a severed head in 24 hours.
Unholy Aura (Sp): Brân gains a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus on saves (already included). Unlike the effect of protection from good, this benefit applies against all attacks, not just against attacks by good creatures. The abjuration protects her from possession and mental influence, just as protection from good does. Finally, if a good creature succeeds on a melee attack against Brân, the offending attacker takes 1d6 points of Strength damage (Fortitude DC 26 negates).

Brân’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons she wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Her natural weapons are also treated as epic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Brân has Good Fort and Will saves.

Her class skills and base ranks are:
Acrobatics +17, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +17, Fly +17, Intimidate +17, Knowledge (planes) +17, Perception +17, Sense Motive +17, Stealth +17, Use Magic Device +17
Racial Modifiers +8 Perception

What are your thoughts?

Is the CR correct? Does it need to be adjusted for CR 15?
Are the SLAs ok? Suggestions for additional ones, or to remove some?
To determine her Caster Level, I used the Rashasa model (CL=CR-3)

Tanuki Tales
2013-07-25, 08:30 AM
Some points in general:

Archfiend isn't really a term used for Pathfinder, so I must ask is she meant to be a Demon Lord or something?
She's particularly weak for what she is. Archdukes, which are below the highest of infernal hierarchy, have been statted as no less than CR 20 and approach closer to CR 30.

Calmar
2013-07-25, 08:38 AM
Perhaps I should have mentioned that I run my own setting and world that merely happens to use (some) of the Pathfinder rules.

Don't get caught up in fluff terminology, please. As I said, this is to be the strongest monster I've ever used in my games. Just evaluate it as a CR 15 creature, please. :smallsmile:

Debihuman
2013-07-25, 10:07 AM
Why is she summoning a glabrezu instead a vrock? Vrocks would be more up her alley.

Summoning level should be 7th level for 40% not 5th level since normally it would 9th level.

Debby

Calmar
2013-07-25, 11:00 AM
Why is she summoning a glabrezu instead a vrock? Vrocks would be more up her alley.

Summoning level should be 7th level for 40% not 5th level since normally it would 9th level.

Debby

Thanks for the idea! I changed the ability.

Do you have any other suggestions? Do you think the overall creature matches CR 15, or does it need some adjustment?

Calmar
2013-07-28, 10:35 AM
So, what do you think about adding these abilities:

[SPOILER]Two-Headed (Ex): To sever a head, an opponent must make a sunder attempt with a slashing weapon targeting a head. A head is considered a separate weapon with hardness 0 and 17. To sever a head, an opponent must inflict enough damage to reduce the head's hit points to 0 or less. Severing a head deals 17 points damage to Brân’s body. A hydra can't attack with a severed head, but takes no other penalties.
Superior Cognition(Ex): Because each of its two heads controls her body, Brân can take two Standard Actions per round, as well as one Move Action. However, she can only perform one Full Round Action each round. Brân loses this ability if one of her heads is severed.

Since I have 5 players and don't want to give Brân a huge number of minions, a little unfair advantage of more actions per round might be interesting. But I'm afraid my players might not come to the conclusion that severing one of her heads will make things easier for them.
What do you think? Nice abilities, or video-game-weakness?

Debihuman
2013-07-28, 11:43 AM
I like the 1st extra ability a lot more than I like the 2nd one. I think it might be a bit much. To beef her up I recommend giving her things she should have.

She should also have All-Around Vision, which would give her +4 to Perception too and she couldn't be flanked. This is a pretty standard ability for creatures with 2 or more heads.

All-Around Vision (Ex): Brân's two heads allow her to look in any direction, providing a +4 racial bonus on Perception checks. She can’t be flanked.

I'll see if there are others.

Debby

Calmar
2013-07-29, 04:09 AM
I like the 1st extra ability a lot more than I like the 2nd one. I think it might be a bit much. To beef her up I recommend giving her things she should have.

She should also have All-Around Vision, which would give her +4 to Perception too and she couldn't be flanked. This is a pretty standard ability for creatures with 2 or more heads.

All-Around Vision (Ex): Brân's two heads allow her to look in any direction, providing a +4 racial bonus on Perception checks. She can’t be flanked.

I'll see if there are others.

Debby

Thanks! I like the All-Around Vision a lot. But does it make sense to have a severable head if its benefits are only quite moderate?

Debihuman
2013-07-29, 07:03 AM
But does it make sense to have a severable head if its benefits are only quite moderate?

Sure, why not? A creature that encourages PCs to use special combat attacks is more interesting.

You put all-around vision in AC but it should go in Senses.

Debby

Calmar
2013-07-29, 09:31 AM
Sure, why not? A creature that encourages PCs to use special combat attacks is more interesting.

You put all-around vision in AC but it should go in Senses.

Debby

I see. I deemed it similar to uncanny dodge. Changed it. :)

Special powers aside, are Brân's overall defence and attack power ok?

Debihuman
2013-07-29, 11:48 AM
You changed two headed and now it's wonky.

Two-Headed (Ex): To sever a head, an opponent must make a sunder attempt with a slashing weapon targeting a head. A head is considered a separate weapon with hardness 0 and 17. To sever a head, an opponent must inflict enough damage to reduce the head's hit points to 0 or less. Severing a head deals 17 points damage to Brân’s body. Brân can't attack with a severed head, but takes no other penalties. Only one head can be severed.

I really recommend you change this. Severing both of her heads should kill her. Why do her heads only have 17 hit points? For a hydra that makes sense but not for her. Since she has two heads, I'd recommend that 1/4 of her hit points be delegated to her heads (each head would have 57 hit points). Severing one of her head's would cause at lest 15 points of damage to her body as well.

Two-Headed (Ex): Brân can be slain by severing both of her heads or by slaying her body. Any attack that is not an attempt to sever a head affects the body, including area attacks or attacks that cause piercing or bludgeoning damage. To sever a head, an opponent must make a sunder attempt with a slashing weapon targeting a head. A head is considered a separate weapon with hardness 0 and 57 hit points. To sever a head, an opponent must inflict enough damage to reduce the head's hit points to 0 or less. Severing a head deals 15 points of damage to Brân's body. She can't attack with a severed head, but takes no other penalties.

The numbers look okay to me but I'm not terribly proficient with Pathfinder's system yet.

Debby

Calmar
2013-07-30, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I guess you're right. I was a bit cautious to have her killable that way because the melee people deal quite a lot damage.

I think about adding "She can't attack with a severed head and loses the benefits of her All-Around Vision, but takes no other penalties. Brân regrows a severed head in 1d10+10 days." to her Two-Headed ability.

Debihuman
2013-07-30, 04:01 PM
If you are worried about her being out-meleed, give her 2 wing buffet attacks. Wing buffets are secondary attacks that would do 1d6 points of damage plus 1/2 her Str modifier. Giving her more would overpower her CR but 2 should be fine.

Also, I recommend that you increase her flying speed to 120 feet. With 6 wings, she should be a lot faster.

If one of her heads is severed, she should lose the benefits of her All-Around Vision. I should have thought of that myself. Good catch!

If you are going to allow her to regrow a head, she should have Regeneration 1. I think you should allow her to regrow a head in 24 hours as 10 days is far too long.

Debby

Calmar
2013-08-01, 06:53 AM
I've added her spells. Guess I might give her +2, or +4 to Wis, because her save DCs are rather weak at the moment.

If you are worried about her being out-meleed, give her 2 wing buffet attacks. Wing buffets are secondary attacks that would do 1d6 points of damage plus 1/2 her Str modifier. Giving her more would overpower her CR but 2 should be fine.
I've checked her CMD and discovered I had missed her deflection bonus. In the end I think CMD 49 will protect her from decapitation just fine.

Also, I recommend that you increase her flying speed to 120 feet. With 6 wings, she should be a lot faster.
I didn't intend her to have more than two wings. :smallconfused:
But the idea is intriguing. I'll give her four, so that she looks grotesque but does not like a seraph. :smallsmile:

If you are going to allow her to regrow a head, she should have Regeneration 1. I think you should allow her to regrow a head in 24 hours as 10 days is far too long.
Sounds good.

Debihuman
2013-08-01, 11:40 AM
One thing you have done is made her attacks far too powerful. Her bite and claws should be no stronger than that of a Large Dragon.

Actually, she should be able to make 4 wing buffets (she can do that while flying -- as a dragon)
Large dragon: bite damage is 2d6, claw damage is 1d8, and wing buffet is 1d6. See Bestiary 1 page 91.

Melee 2 claws +27 (1d8+10/19-20 plus rend), 2 bites +27 (2d6+5), 4 wing buffets +27 (1d6+5)
Melee 2 claws +22 (1d8+25/19-20 plus rend), 2 bites +22 (2d6+10), 4 wing buffets +22 (1d6+10) with Power Attack

One other thing you might do to beef her up is change her chance of summoning a vrock from 35% to 70%.

Debby

Calmar
2013-08-01, 03:45 PM
If I'm not mistaken she even deals 11 points of damage more with your attack array (without power attack) than with mine, but yours adheres to the rules more closely, I guess, and it also means Brân has effectively more actions she can take during her short turns. :smallsmile:

What do you think about the casting and save DCs? I don't have much experience with creatures of this CR, but I feel that'd need some buffing.

Debihuman
2013-08-01, 09:54 PM
The saves are tough but not too tough. I think it is unfair that she has no treasure though. She should have a lair somewhere and treasure should be standard.

Her rend should be 1d8+15.

I admit I'm really not a fan of giving her cleric levels. She doesn't need them since she has so many spell-like abilities and I don't see that you included 12 levels of cleric in her CR or in her HD. She has far too many special abilities if she only has 5 monster dice.

Debby

Calmar
2013-08-03, 09:58 AM
The saves are tough but not too tough. I think it is unfair that she has no treasure though. She should have a lair somewhere and treasure should be standard.
I agree with you. Should anyone else ever want to use this creature, it should have appropriate treasure.
However, she's the final encounter of my campaign of some 2.5 years. When Brân is done we'll begin a new game. :smallsmile:

Her rend should be 1d8+15.
Thanks, I missed that.

I admit I'm really not a fan of giving her cleric levels. She doesn't need them since she has so many spell-like abilities and I don't see that you included 12 levels of cleric in her CR or in her HD. She has far too many special abilities if she only has 5 monster dice.

Debby

The casting is inherent, similar to a rakshasa, or a drider. But, she's not supposed to even use most of her spellcasting during the encounter; I gave it to her mostly because I think it befits her role in my campaign.

Debihuman
2013-08-03, 11:10 AM
That's the problem sometimes with homebrew; you're making her to fit a specific role for your game and therefore not making her as a standard creature.

Debby

Calmar
2013-08-04, 03:12 PM
The way I predict it, there won't be much opportunity for more than two spells before it comes down to heavy melee combat, so I don't insist upon the indispensability of spellcasting.
But how is Brân's case fundamentally different from these (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/rakshasa/rakshasa-common) guys (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/drider)? :smallconfused:

Debihuman
2013-08-04, 10:33 PM
Driders despite their casting ability take disadvantages which offset it. For example they use smaller weapons (which in turn do less damage) and they have a purposefully weak bite for their size. They only have spells and no spell-like abilities.

Bran has far more attack options and capabilities. She has flight too. I'm thinking her CR is probably too low. Because she's purposefully not going to be used to full capacity, it doesn't matter to you.

I'd peg her CR equal to her HD at least and possibly higher.

Also, how big are her auras? These should be in the their text section too.

Debby

Calmar
2013-08-07, 02:27 PM
Considering that Brân won't rely heavily upon spellcasting during the encounter and prefers melee over ranged attacks, I'm quite happy the way she looks now. If I were to use Brân as one brân among many, they probably wouldn't have any casting ability.

What do you feel needs to be reduced in order to make it a solid CR 15? I guess I'd be fine with removing some of the wing attacks. Casting was technically in the whole time, I just added a concrete selection of spells at a later point.