PDA

View Full Version : Best solo class?

D20ragon
2013-07-25, 08:25 AM
I'm running a solo adventure,and would like it if the character didn't die,so,what's the best class for solo ?
I'm using gestalt

Steward
2013-07-25, 08:37 AM
I like classes that have the power to fill every traditional party role (in a manner of speaking), like bards, factotums, and binders. Wizards and clerics also work too but they're not my personal favorite classes.

Xelbiuj
2013-07-25, 08:50 AM
Druid and because gestalt add cleric.

rollforeigninit
2013-07-25, 08:51 AM
I've always thought a Paladin (Sword of the Arcane Order (Battle Blessing)) might be a fun way to go if you ever wanted to actually play a Paladin. It may not be optimal but there's no jerky CN characters supposedly on your side trying to castrate your character. There's also something to be said for the lone knight on his faithful steed kind of thing.

Kudaku
2013-07-25, 08:57 AM
Oh wow, gestalt.

Druid / Summoner would be pretty terrifying, I think. Share spells from both the summoner and the druid spell list, two companions, self healing, blasting, CC, wild shape... Has some potential.

Shame about the stat spread though, charisma is not normally high on the druid list.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-25, 09:01 AM
Wizard 20 // duskblade 3 / spellthief 2 / chameleon 10 / abjurant champion 5

At low levels you can fight and cast spells. UMD a wand of cure light wounds, and go to town.

At mid levels you can do all kinds of things, and have access to tons of magic from all over, both divine and arcane, you are casting in light armor, and have enough skills and skill points to deal with traps, sneaking, and any other skill challenge (and guidance of the avatar in case you didn't invest in a skill).

Sylthia
2013-07-25, 09:05 AM
You could have them take Leadership to get minions. This is the one case where I'd allow Leadership.

Krazzman
2013-07-25, 09:08 AM
I would assume that you need options and the technical ability to do it.

I would place my bets on a Cleric//Swordsage build.

Maybe Cleric//Crusader/Swordsage adding Ruby Knight Windicator and other things to this.

Maybe going Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor1/Warlock1/RKV5/Eldritch Disciple10//Crusader1/SwordsageX/Other TOB Prestige ClassX

Or one side going Urpriest2/Warlock/Eldritch Disciple//ToB or MoI or similar.

Add the usual tricks and you should do fine.

In a Solo game you should try to have healing, fighting and so on decked out.

Another possibility could be: Druid20//anything buffing summons.

Focusing on summoning. With reserve feats and enough wands you should be able to get along just fine.

Emmerask
2013-07-25, 09:11 AM
Druid is the single best solo character (if you dont start at high levels).

What you gestalt is pretty much a matter of taste^^

Swordsage or warblade are really good choices.

Akeii
2013-07-25, 09:14 AM
I'd lean heavily towards Paladin/Sorcerer. You'd have the utility to do social skills and all sorts of spontaneous casting, the ability to get up close and personal in melee, and most importantly, the option to heal yourself and book it when everything goes south - as it inevitably will, at some point in the future.

erikun
2013-07-25, 09:27 AM
Druids are generally very good at surviving at low levels. Good armor and weapon choices, animal companion, and good spells help survivability. Crusaders are also ridiculously durable, although may not sync that well with the Druid class.

Crusader//Warlock could potentially run all day, self-heal, self-buff, and fly around invisible by mid levels. I suppose Warforged Crusader//Warlock would be pretty interesting if you could potentially be fighting 24/7 for some reason.

Factotum with an INT-based character (such as Factotum//Wizard or Factotum//Archivist) can be nice, using the Factotum for additional actions to spellcasting. Wizard//Psion or something similar can make use of the psionic power Schism for somewhat similar results. Artificer can make magical equipment for other classes to use, giving nearly any spell you want to another class.

The Cloistered Cleric deserves mention, as it gives up HP and BAB in exchange for more skills and an extra domain. It is obviously not a loss depending on what you put on the other side; Cloistered Cleric//Druid loses nothing compared to Cleric//Druid, and Cloistered Cleric//Crusader has only pluses.

Tvtyrant
2013-07-25, 09:36 AM
Beguiler is my best bet. It has some of the best spells in the game, has fantastic skills, and can wear some armor (if it doesn't want to just wear mage armor.)

Level 1-3 is all about sneaking and Color Spray, and then you get into the good stuff.

Krazzman
2013-07-25, 09:39 AM
Crusader//Warlock could potentially run all day, self-heal, self-buff, and fly around invisible by mid levels. I suppose Warforged Crusader//Warlock would be pretty interesting if you could potentially be fighting 24/7 for some reason.

A moving "Golem" gathers no rust. I think Crusader//Totemist Warforged could be better. Or maybe going any combination of Warlock, Crusader and Totemist.

Razanir
2013-07-25, 09:41 AM
Pally might be useful. At least in PF, you can use lay on hands on yourself as a swift action. Healing without disturbing the action economy.

lycantrope
2013-07-25, 09:58 AM
Gotta side with cleric swordsage because with midrange optimization it is full bab and is doing a scary amount of damage per hit, heals itself easily, turns undead, and rarely has to cast spells in combat.

Nightraiderx
2013-07-25, 10:06 AM
Crusader 20/Incarnate 20

Con synergy, able to change what you wear. Alot of nice incarnate soulmelds
that make sader early game VERY strong such as the paladrons that give +2 hp for self healing which means at lvl 1 you can use martial spirit and heal 5 hp every time you hit. You have a very high to hit, self reliance, and for ha ha's you could actually give him vow of poverty and he'd still be an effective character.

gorfnab
2013-07-25, 10:59 AM
Warforged Warblade // Artificer

DementedFellow
2013-07-25, 11:05 AM
Warforged Artificer // Truenamer

Can heal himself
Can abuse knowledge devotion
Can give mental commands to homunculi and then follow up with utterances.
Can make special magic items to buff truename checks

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-25, 11:12 AM
- Can make spell tiles and then repair them after use for near unlimited use of all spells ever.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-07-25, 11:28 AM
Crusader 20/Incarnate 20

Con synergy, able to change what you wear. Alot of nice incarnate soulmelds
that make sader early game VERY strong such as the paladrons that give +2 hp for self healing which means at lvl 1 you can use martial spirit and heal 5 hp every time you hit. You have a very high to hit, self reliance, and for ha ha's you could actually give him vow of poverty and he'd still be an effective character.
I really like this one. Crusader for power, Incarnate for versatility, and both for defense. Shape Vitality Belt, Therapeutic Mantle, and Spellward Shirt and never die, ever.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-07-25, 11:32 AM
Unarmed Sword Sage 20//Cleric 10 Sacred Fist 10. You get a nice AC bonus, 20 levels of casting, and a couple of small, but cool, abilities that gun off of Wis anyways.

Quorothorn
2013-07-25, 11:51 AM
I'm running a solo adventure,and would like it if the character didn't die,so,what's the best class for solo ?
I'm using gestalt

Not claiming any of these as best, but they could be fun and reasonably effective, IMO.

Wizard//Crusader or Wizard//Warblade, perhaps? Crusader gets you Devoted Spirit healing, but the Warblade's class features provide INT synergy with the Wizard as well as slightly higher HP. Wizard//Archivist gets you two (mostly) INT-focused casters, one arcane and one divine for increased versatility.

Crusader//Bard has all good saves and some nice CHA synergy and ability to self-buff and self-heal, talk to people whether with Diplomacy and/or Intimidate, etc. On that note, Bard//Barbarian is funny if nothing else (and also has almost the best possible HD). Factotum with some other INT-based class on the other side (Wizard, Beguiler, Warblade, Pally Sword of Arcane Order) seems an obvious potential choice, given that Factotums, like Druids, have solo potential without even gestalting. Beguiler or Rogue with anything big and tough on the other half (Warblade, Crusader, Barbarian even).

On that note, Druid//anything martial or buff-based.

Paladin//Crusader amuses me but is much too redundant. Pity.

Person_Man
2013-07-25, 12:46 PM
I really like this one. Crusader for power, Incarnate for versatility, and both for defense. Shape Vitality Belt, Therapeutic Mantle, and Spellward Shirt and never die, ever.

Agreed on Incarnate. It's probably one of the hardest classes to kill, since it basically has a defense against everything. I would also mention that the Incarnate gets the Necrocarnum Circlet for the infinitely renewable Necrocarumum Zombie. Having a disposable and replaceable minion is very, very valuable in a solo campaign. It can flank, Aid Another (+2 to basically anything), carry stuff, stand in the way of enemies while you attack from a range, and so on.

Though instead of Crusader, I would actually suggest Beguiler, Factotum, or Wildshape Ranger. Crusader//Incarnate is awesome. But having a Familiar or Animal Companion allows you to take the Share Soulmelds feat, which allows your Familiar or Companion to benefit from your soulmelds (basically doubling the usefulness of many soulmelds, and making them much much harder to kill). And the Skill synergies between soulmelds and classes with a good Skill list are very high. In particular, being able to get ridiculous Hide and Move Silently and Spot is very valuable in a solo campaign.

Nightraiderx
2013-07-25, 12:49 PM
Dragonfire adept 20/totemist 20

Become the dragon.

Edit: Oh and another note on the sader/incarnate necrocarnum zombies make REALLY good scouts and are good for white raven abilities. You also now have infinately powered +5 attack damage using steely resolve feature.

Manly Man
2013-07-25, 01:40 PM
I'd definitely recommend having Crusader in there somewhere, since you not only get great fighting ability, but you can pretty much render yourself indestructible., with some good maneuver application. Mountain Hammer helps deal with stuff that a lack of skillmonkey levels in your build would otherwise make a problem, but it's still a good idea to take something like either Bard or Swordsage. If you don't mind a lack of good Reflex saves, be a Crusader//Warlock, as was mentioned earlier for the menagerie of buffs and other abilities the Warlock gives you. If you really wanna go crazy, get the feat Eldritch Claws as soon as you can, so that you can use maneuvers with your eldritch blast's damage. Stack that with some levels as a Hellfire Warlock, and that boss is going to drop like a stone.

Amphetryon
2013-07-25, 01:43 PM
Binder
Totemist
Druid
Dread Necromancer (not best if starting at 1st).

Pick one.

Manly Man
2013-07-25, 02:01 PM
Oh, also, if you go with Crusader//Warlock, even though you can't use maneuvers with it, I would think that, as long as you're in the stance first, it would sync with the stance Thicket of Blades to use Eldritch Glaive, but that's something that would be best discussed with your DM, methinks.

Zonugal
2013-07-25, 04:00 PM
I tend to think the Ranger is a really great solo class by itself.

Full BaB, Great Fort & Reflex saves, Solid skills and some nice class abilities. Trade out the Track feat for Trapfinding (from the Dungeonscape acf) and you are even more self-sufficient.

If I had to gestalt the Ranger with another class I'd probably go with an Archivist.

Razanir
2013-07-25, 04:12 PM
I think one question that really needs answered is 3.5 or PF?

gorfnab
2013-07-25, 04:13 PM
Druid // Scout
Trapfinding Mystic Ranger with the feat Sword of the Arcane Order // Swordsage
Dread Necromancer // Bard/ Crusader with the feats Requiem and Song of the White Raven

eggynack
2013-07-25, 04:31 PM
As has been mentioned, druid//anything is great for this, mostly because druid//nothing would also be great for this. Druids are one of those classes that can actually just fulfill every game role, basically at once. They're a fighter, just because they have an animal friend who can fight for them. They're a magic man, because they have some of the best battlefield control and summoning abilities in the game. It's definitely not up to wizard levels, and you don't get as much utility as you'd like, but it can definitely work. You're a sneaky fellow, because you can become progressively smaller creatures, and hide in the shadows. You're a healer, if that's a thing you think you need, because you get some healing spells on your list, and have the ability to summon unicorns. Besides, most of the cleric's actual thing is buffing stuff and hulking out, and a druid can definitely do that. They're even a party face, because they get diplomacy on their list, and have no need to dump charisma. They last all day, and the parts of the class that don't last all day win encounters on their own.

What you gestalt that with is a preference thing. Despite the slight MAD, factotum could work out for this. You get to boost the skill monkey aspects by a lot, and you get free standard actions later on. It's a much better gestalt on a wizard, but these are good things on a druid as well. After you put points in wisdom and constitution, you're basically free to dump the remainder in charisma and intelligence at your discretion. There's plenty of room to work there. It doesn't really matter much though. Druids can be a whole party at once, so the other class just needs to bolster that. Pick something passive, because druids seem very active to me, and pick classes that ideally have wisdom synergy, because your wisdom will be very high.

Icewraith
2013-07-25, 04:49 PM
Bard/Warblade

It's a bit MAD, but not very. The only score you probably must have is a 16 or higher cha, and then CON (but you have d12 Hd) and INT (helpful as long as you have a positive modifier)- STR bonus should be nonnegative, positive STR bonus is nice.

What you get:
d12 HD
3 good saves
bard skills (including UMD and diplomacy)
bard spells - curing, illusions, grease, glitterdust, dispelling, and buffs as you like.
bardic knowledge (also known as find plot hook)
buff your (full) attack bonus with Bardsong (compensates for low STR)
Warblade standard action strikes (not dependant on iterative attacks to bring out the damage, you have bardsong and full BAB to compensate for a low ability score and many of those strikes add their own damage)
Mountain Hammer (also: open lock, remove door, Passwall unless you need to be quiet)
Sudden Leap (double jump for the full Mega Man experience- only good if you invest in Jump though)
casting in light armor

If you're really concerned about MAD there's always Warblade/Factotum, but the Bard is still excellent solo. Again, all you REALLY need a good score in are Cha and Con, everything after that is gravy. There's also a feat (melodic casting?) that lets you cast while bardsonging, it's a good investment.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-25, 05:27 PM
I'll second Druid//x for best solo gestalt. For x you can choose depending on what you want.

Druid//Cloistered Cleric with Spell domain for the ultimate caster.
Druid//Swordsage for good melee and lots of utility maneuvers, wis to AC, wis to damage (with diamond mind strikes) and all good saves.
Druid//WuJen/Swiftblade for great passive benefits and Body outside Body.
Druid//MoMF/Warshaper for maximum wildshaping without losing CL.

You can also add useful dips on the other side.
Witch Slayer 2 for Mettle.
(Psychic) Rogue 2 for Evasion and skills (and a little psionics).
Barbarian 1 for Pounce.
Shiba Protector 1 for wis to hit & damage
Lycanthrope template for +2 wisdom & bonus feats & other stuff.
Cold Iron Warrior 5 to add your massive wisdom to dispel checks.
Chameleon for lots of spells, floating bonus feat and untyped stat boosts.

Metahuman1
2013-07-25, 05:31 PM
I'd play a Wizard//Archivist or an Artificer//Factotum myself.

Gemini476
2013-07-25, 05:41 PM
Druid // Scout
Trapfinding Mystic Ranger with the feat Sword of the Arcane Order // Swordsage
Dread Necromancer // Bard/ Crusader with the feats Requiem and Song of the White Raven

Trapfinding Wildshaping Mystic Ranger Sword of the Arcane Order. For games below level 10 it is beyond ridiculous, and beyond that there are PrCs with independant progression. Grab a feat to get a familiar if you don't feel like sacrificing power for flavour.

Kane0
2013-07-25, 06:03 PM
Something with UMD and/or good casting along with something with good saves/bab/hp. Skills optional really.
Warlock, artificer, druid, cleric, wizard, etc are all good caster/UMD options
Warblade, Crusader, Swordsage, Incarnate, Scout and possibly Barbarian are all good BAB/Skills/Saves/HP choices. Monk might find a place too.

Druid // Swordsage, Cleric // Crusader and Wizard // Warblade are all strong options.

Personally I'd love a Warlock // Scout, but that wouldn't be best for solo.

Asrrin
2013-07-25, 06:07 PM
Druid//StP Erudite, because why not?

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-07-25, 06:14 PM
Gestalt: Druid/rogue or druid/scout.

In a solo, non cheesy adventure: ranger with able learner.

Emmerask
2013-07-25, 07:11 PM
I'd play a Wizard//Archivist or an Artificer//Factotum myself.

In a solo adventure these options have a pretty good chance of just dying though ^^

Tvtyrant
2013-07-25, 07:17 PM
In a solo adventure these options have a pretty good chance of just dying though ^^

Abrupt Jaunt Wizard at low levels, going into Incantatrix and then Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil. If you can avoid dying at levels 1-3 you win!

Make the character an Illumian and use Turn Undead effects for early persist cheese. This should make the pre-Incantratrix levels more bearable.

Emmerask
2013-07-25, 07:18 PM
Abrupt Jaunt Wizard at low levels, going into Incantatrix and then Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil. If you can avoid dying at levels 1-3 you win!

Make the character an Illumian and use Turn Undead effects for early persist cheese. This should make the pre-Incantratrix levels more bearable.

The first 3 levels would be what makes me worried for those builds in solo games though ^^

Tvtyrant
2013-07-25, 07:25 PM
The first 3 levels would be what makes me worried for those builds in solo games though ^^

That is the goal of Abrupt Jaunt, to keep from getting hit until you are no longer squishy. "I dodge!"

Sudden Extend on summons would also help, and then retrain the feat into something useful later (like real extend.) Or skip Abrupt Jaunt and grab an animal companion ACF for the Wizard and then Natural Bond. Mmmm, Animal Companions.

Emmerask
2013-07-25, 07:29 PM
The problem with abrupt jaunt is
a) has limited uses per day
b) its usefulness somewhat depends on the dm and the interpretation of the not so exact rules

ie I had dms who let me jaunt pretty much everything at any time and others where I had to say if I wanted to jaunt before the attack roll was made arguing that the attack roll is the hit or miss and that there is zero time between the roll and the effect.

With the second one the number of jaunts quickly vanishes ^^

Silva Stormrage
2013-07-25, 07:37 PM
Druid//StP Erudite, because why not?

You can do better than that :smalltongue:. STP Erudite//Artificer.

With recharge tricks you can get max pp's for each encounter, (Or you can use mental pinnacle for infinite pp's). You can then use artificer to craft any items you wish, you are entirely self sufficient. Its even better if you take thrallherd for erudite. You can have your thrall come in with any spell you want and then just learn the spell from your thrall. Also thrallherd is just in general an awesome solo class it is just leadership on steroids :smalltongue:

Emmerask
2013-07-25, 07:45 PM
Druid//Swordsage gives you massive AC, nearly permanent concealment (child of shadows) an animal companion and some nice spells and good maneuvers the first few levels.

Leaving out some extreme cheese stuff I doubt that you could do much better in the early stages.

TuggyNE
2013-07-25, 10:22 PM
ie I had dms who let me jaunt pretty much everything at any time and others where I had to say if I wanted to jaunt before the attack roll was made arguing that the attack roll is the hit or miss and that there is zero time between the roll and the effect.

With the second one the number of jaunts quickly vanishes ^^

The second is the correct interpretation; a hit and rolling for damage are the same action and indivisible for most purposes.

However, you generally shouldn't be getting attacked all that often either if you can at all help it, so some BFC might spice things up and save on AJ uses.

Sith_Happens
2013-07-25, 11:04 PM
Druid//Swordsage

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/Kungfupanda.jpg/220px-Kungfupanda.jpg

Pickford
2013-07-26, 12:11 AM
I'm using gestalt

I suppose it can be anything, because it's very likely that if you're doing a solo adventure your friend (the DM) doesn't want you to die either.

This means that any class works and it's down whatever you enjoy doing.

If however you're doing some rogue-esque thing where the DM will be trying to kill you...cleric's or paladins seem like good options (built in healing). The paladin perhaps more-so for the BAB if there's a physical dustup.

Edit: And there are several abilities in the game that require you to use them 'prior' to damage being rolled, but after a hit is rolled.

This means there is a distinct period of time in between in which characters may act. It's only suggested in some of the books that one roll both the to-hit and the damage at the same time to speed up rolling in large combats.

Hyde
2013-07-26, 12:17 AM
I'd probably go Unseen Seer. Wizard utility with a rogue's sneaky- it'll be a little more interesting than the druid's "I win".

Fyermind
2013-07-26, 12:19 AM
Mystic Ranger is great. Trading track for trapfinding, and taking Sword of the arcane order, and weapon style for Wild Shape, you get great basic casting and trapfinding with decent HD, good BAB, and good skill points. Your weaknesses are lack of good damage output, and a poor will save.

I like swordsage for the other side. The strong will save, and extra damage from maneuvers and general wisdom synergy is good. Unarmed swordsage probably lacks nothing relative to swordsage in this gestalt.

Mystic Ranger // Swordsage is low power compared to anything including Wizard, Archivist, Druid, Cleric, etc. An advantage of a solo campaign is that balance against other PCs is a non-issue. This build does allow good balance and the ability to solve any problem with an interesting method. You will be the definition of a tier 3 character, with no major weaknesses, and plenty of strengths, you are unlikely to break the game unless the DM hands it to you in the form of a wizard spell too strong for the game to handle of 5th level or lower.

DMVerdandi
2013-07-26, 01:32 AM
You can do better than that :smalltongue:. STP Erudite//Artificer.

With recharge tricks you can get max pp's for each encounter, (Or you can use mental pinnacle for infinite pp's). You can then use artificer to craft any items you wish, you are entirely self sufficient. Its even better if you take thrallherd for erudite. You can have your thrall come in with any spell you want and then just learn the spell from your thrall. Also thrallherd is just in general an awesome solo class it is just leadership on steroids :smalltongue:

Better still, Stp Erudite//Psionic Artificer

Eyclonus
2013-07-26, 01:40 AM
As much as its been said, the Druid is perfect for solo play, with Gestalt classes you can do anything, though note that its a good idea to pick something that likes high Wis and isn't affected by its restrictions, which are pretty tame compared to the power you pick up when combining it with better BAB etc.

Yogibear41
2013-07-26, 01:55 AM
Druid/Crusader

Spells, Wildshapes, and spammable heals (strikes) from crusader. Decent AC at low levels and having an animal companion is close to having a fighter follower (better in some cases lol)

Mithril Leaf
2013-07-26, 02:05 AM
If you can get through the early levels with your social graces, Bard/Binder is a fun choice. At level 10 you come into your own fully because of the combo of advanced bardic music and infinite summons.

JaronK
2013-07-26, 02:30 AM
Archivist//Factotum. All the abilities you'd ever want, and you can have fun with the extra actions you need!

JaronK

Feint's End
2013-07-26, 02:39 AM
Better still, Stp Erudite//Psionic Artificer

god you guys are still thinking small :smallyuk: .... where is the Thrallherd in there? make one of your Thralls an Artificer

Norin
2013-07-26, 03:58 AM
In none gestalt i would probably go druid.

Not very familiar with gestalt, but how about dread necro//cleric?

Solo army of awesome undeads + dmm persisting?

Ravitiate
2013-07-26, 05:32 AM
Grey Elf (Dark Template):

Side 1: Generalist Domain Wizard5/Mindbender1/Incantatrarix10/Fatespinner4
Side 2: Dark Template/Factotum19

Feats (without flaws):
- Faerie Mysteries Initiate (Int mod to HP instead of con)
- Darkstalker (Hide from everything)
- Mindsight (See everything)
- Font of Inspiration x4

With flaws, pick up more FoI.

You can:
- Hide from everything with the Dark Tempelate (HiPS) and Darkstalker
- See every sentient being within 60 ft
- Get lots of HP with Faerie Mysteries Initiate and a d8
- Full caster progression
- Free metamagic and feats with Incantatarix

Tactics:
Sense a being with Mindsight, suprise them because you have a sick Hide-check. If you can't suprise them and lose initiative, cast Celerity to start first. Use the Factotum-side for Cunning Surge and you gain 6 extra standard actions. Cast 7 spells as standard actions, use Instant Metamagic Quicken (or a prepared quickened spell) if someone isn't dead or disabled yet. If they still aren't dead, Hide and wait.

Edit:
This is discounting Time Stop and other tricks a Wizard could employ for more actions.

Also note that Archivist could do the same and also potentially every spell in the game, but the Generalist Wizard gets a lot of spells for free, a metamagic feat and a "domain".

Malroth
2013-07-26, 06:05 AM
Druid // Scout

This. Infinite self healing, Great skill monkey potential, Undead army at your command buffed to insanity via White raven manuvers and Requiem.

Razanir
2013-07-26, 11:35 AM
As much as its been said, the Druid is perfect for solo play, with Gestalt classes you can do anything, though note that its a good idea to pick something that likes high Wis and isn't affected by its restrictions, which are pretty tame compared to the power you pick up when combining it with better BAB etc.

Monk? It'd still have bad action economy (full round flurry), but it'd give you more AC for your high Wis. Get jiriku's fix approved to improve your action economy, and I'd say you're good to go

erikun
2013-07-26, 11:44 AM
Bard/Warblade

It's a bit MAD, but not very. The only score you probably must have is a 16 or higher cha, and then CON (but you have d12 Hd) and INT (helpful as long as you have a positive modifier)- STR bonus should be nonnegative, positive STR bonus is nice.

What you get:
d12 HD
3 good saves
bard skills (including UMD and diplomacy)
bard spells - curing, illusions, grease, glitterdust, dispelling, and buffs as you like.
bardic knowledge (also known as find plot hook)
buff your (full) attack bonus with Bardsong (compensates for low STR)
Warblade standard action strikes (not dependant on iterative attacks to bring out the damage, you have bardsong and full BAB to compensate for a low ability score and many of those strikes add their own damage)
Mountain Hammer (also: open lock, remove door, Passwall unless you need to be quiet)
Sudden Leap (double jump for the full Mega Man experience- only good if you invest in Jump though)
casting in light armor

If you're really concerned about MAD there's always Warblade/Factotum, but the Bard is still excellent solo. Again, all you REALLY need a good score in are Cha and Con, everything after that is gravy. There's also a feat (melodic casting?) that lets you cast while bardsonging, it's a good investment.
The Song of the White Raven feat will allow you to use maneuvers while using Bardic Music, which is quite nice when buffing yourself with your own Inspire Courage.

I did not know about the Melodic Casting feat, or whatever it is actually called, but it would allow spells along with maneuvers with Bardic Music.

ahnbalto
2013-07-26, 12:01 PM
Druid 5/ Planar Shepard 10 / 5 anything you want

Something like that

Silva Stormrage
2013-07-26, 12:52 PM
god you guys are still thinking small :smallyuk: .... where is the Thrallherd in there? make one of your Thralls an Artificer

Fine then, STP Erudite/Thrallherd//Psychic Artificer.

Hm you have a point though the thrall can be the artificer and have a refreshing pool of xp.

STP Erudite/Thrallherd//Archivist? Learn ALL The spells/powers.

Feint's End
2013-07-26, 02:43 PM
Fine then, STP Erudite/Thrallherd//Psychic Artificer.

Hm you have a point though the thrall can be the artificer and have a refreshing pool of xp.

STP Erudite/Thrallherd//Archivist? Learn ALL The spells/powers.

now that sounds like the cheese I'd eat :smallbiggrin:

DMVerdandi
2013-07-26, 06:05 PM
now that sounds like the cheese I'd eat :smallbiggrin:

I am missing getting thrallherd is much different than simply getting leadership. It costs less, is only the price of a feat, and gets you much of the same benefits.
Thrallherd as a class is great for someone focusing on being a telepath, as it makes dominate really cheap and far more useful, but that's really it.

For the reduction in spellcaster level, and other costs, I'd just pick up leadership.

Secondly, is the solo challenge really lived up to with thralls and cohorts? In a single player game, sure but single-player and solo are two different beasts. Solo is rejecting the help of others. Autonomous and individualistic play.

In that case, me and the boys were right.

STP Erudite//psychic artificer is a BEAST. You can make powers from spells you don't even know, absorb their knowledge, and re-absorb the experience used to create them.

while summoning/manifesting surely would be in the spirit of the idea, having a whole NPC is cutting it close IMO.

Outside of this, you are TOTALLY RIGHT. Having a buddy makes everything better.

Feint's End
2013-07-26, 06:41 PM
I am missing getting thrallherd is much different than simply getting leadership. It costs less, is only the price of a feat, and gets you much of the same benefits.
Thrallherd as a class is great for someone focusing on being a telepath, as it makes dominate really cheap and far more useful, but that's really it.

For the reduction in spellcaster level, and other costs, I'd just pick up leadership.

Secondly, is the solo challenge really lived up to with thralls and cohorts? In a single player game, sure but single-player and solo are two different beasts. Solo is rejecting the help of others. Autonomous and individualistic play.

In that case, me and the boys were right.

STP Erudite//psychic artificer is a BEAST. You can make powers from spells you don't even know, absorb their knowledge, and re-absorb the experience used to create them.

while summoning/manifesting surely would be in the spirit of the idea, having a whole NPC is cutting it close IMO.

Outside of this, you are TOTALLY RIGHT. Having a buddy makes everything better.

True that it wouldn't be solo and single player instead (and since I assume Op actually meant that StP Erudite//Psionic Artificer is better).

There are more than a few reasons why Thralls are better than Cohorts though:
-you get two "Cohorts" of which one is just one level behind you
-it doesn't matter if they die, you suck in missions or you don't provide shelter since Thralls don't care for that (you get no modifier on checks whatsoever)
-you easily get a high Thrallscore because even without any charisma modifier you have a +30 at level 20 (Thrallherd levels count double) while using Leadership with a low charisma character leads to weaker Cohorts

edit: to sum it up ... Thrallherd gives you Leadership on crack without the usual disadvantages of said feat.

Silva Stormrage
2013-07-26, 07:09 PM
True that it wouldn't be solo and single player instead (and since I assume Op actually meant that StP Erudite//Psionic Artificer is better).

There are more than a few reasons why Thralls are better than Cohorts though:
-you get two "Cohorts" of which one is just one level behind you
-it doesn't matter if they die, you suck in missions or you don't provide shelter since Thralls don't care for that (you get no modifier on checks whatsoever)
-you easily get a high Thrallscore because even without any charisma modifier you have a +30 at level 20 (Thrallherd levels count double) while using Leadership with a low charisma character leads to weaker Cohorts

edit: to sum it up ... Thrallherd gives you Leadership on crack without the usual disadvantages of said feat.

Also you missed some of the better bonuses. The thrall and believers are fanatically loyal to you and the next thrall/believers show up in 24 hours, regardless of circumstances. Stranded on a deserted island? Looks like your thralls and believers swam to you :smalltongue:

magwaaf
2013-07-26, 07:39 PM
factotum warblade!

Incanur
2013-07-26, 08:57 PM
Conjurer/factotum or druid/swordsage strike me as the best options. For the former, trade Scribe Scroll for Improved Initiative and take Cloudy Conjuration. Factotum/warblade is less powerful long term but super awesome.