PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Sorcerer: Mirror Image or Invisibility?

Akeii
2013-07-25, 09:21 AM
In my finalized build I'll most likely have both, but for various reasons I'll only be able to have one before the other for a few more levels. Vanish is unfortunately not an option.

Which is better - the ability to disappear and avoid -most- attacks while potentially being a sitting duck before this happens (I still have wands of shield and mage armor) , or the ability to raise a decent defense while remaining a target? Is there a third alternative?

Andvare
2013-07-25, 09:26 AM
Depends on what your offensive spells are. For example, you don't actually break invisibility with Summon Monster X, but if you plan to go blasty-blasty, then Mirror Image is probably your best bet.

Blyte
2013-07-25, 09:32 AM
third option in many scenarios would be distance, via expeditious retreat.

also, depending on how many party members you have, strategic defensive positioning.

erikun
2013-07-25, 09:38 AM
Invisibility also has benefits beyond just combat. Casting it on your rogue/sneaky person will greatly increase their success in scouting, long with returning back alive. However, the biggest concern will be how you plan on using the spell: if you are casting Magic Missile or Scorching Ray, then there isn't much point in invisibility that will vanish in the first round of combat.

Other options? Assuming the spells are similar in PF as in 3e: Glitterdust to blind, Web to ensnare low-STR targets, Summon Swarm for something difficult to fight, Blur for miss chance, Alter Self for disguise, Spider Climb for just getting out of melee range. (The last one obviously depends on how high ceilings are where your character adventures.) Again, not familiar with how PF changed things, some might not be as effective.

Corlindale
2013-07-25, 09:46 AM
I'd say Mirror Image. It's much more practical in most cases due to not breaking on attack - and gives you a much better miss chance than invis does when enemies manage to pinpoit the square you're in.

Invis. of course have greater general utility out of combat and can be used on others - but that in itself is an argument to get it later, since you won't have 2nd level slots to "waste" on utility and/or buffing everyone else on most days at low levels.

Finally, it's usually a little easier for enemies to negate Invis than mirror image (see invis and invis purge are easier to get/use than dispel magic and true seeing), though of course mirror image does eventually burn out on its own.

Spuddles
2013-07-25, 10:37 AM
I would go with invisibility. You can use it for so much more than foiling a few attacks in combat.

If you're working with mostly party buffs, it's even better.

Psyren
2013-07-25, 10:43 AM
Depends on what your offensive spells are. For example, you don't actually break invisibility with Summon Monster X, but if you plan to go blasty-blasty, then Mirror Image is probably your best bet.

This - The better choice depends on how you plan to attack. If you're a blaster or a gish, Mirror Image is better; if you are a summoner or buffer, invisibility is better, and if you plan to battlefield control or debuff, it depends on the spells you use.

Splendor
2013-07-28, 05:47 AM
Invisibility only lasts 1 minute per level and you become visible if you attack. While casting it on a rogue to sneak around sounds like a good idea, this isn't always the case. Does your invisibility last long enough to search/disable/unlock stuff? Do you want something with scent alerting enemies when he's by himself?

Mirror Image also lasts 1 minute per level, but you could get as few as two images. So 1st round an enemy only has a 33% chance of hitting you, next attack is 50% and third attack hit you. Plus any area spell destroys all of them.

If your DM rules that attacking with a Spectral Hand breaks invisibility, then I would go with Mirror Image.

--Since commanding summoned monsters to attack doesn't break invisibility, I never thought that Spectral Hand should. I know people will disagree with me, but we've used it and it was never super broke.

Darcand
2013-07-28, 06:35 AM
In a 1 round fight Invisibility wins. On the Rogue, or melee Ranger who can reach the back line caster.

In a 3 round fight Mirror Image wins, cast it on yourself before going in, and just dump spells.

In a 5+ round fight Bull's Strength is the best because at these level your 2 hander will out dpr you in the long run.