PDA

View Full Version : Good level for d&D chess?

CyberThread
2013-07-25, 02:33 PM
So am thinking of doing a game of sort of d&d chess, 3 on 3, protect your shrine sort of thing, while also trying to take the other persons.

What sort of level creation for these things, like level 3 wizard or level 20 wizard.

Among all the choices, what do you think would be the best character level to experience such a thing? To allow play to happen, without wizards nuking everything and "cheating" an without making my players take a week to make characters min/maxed until fingers are bleeding from sharpened dice rolls.

Aegis013
2013-07-25, 02:41 PM
Had something like this in a game around level 7 or 8. I just Dimension Door'd my party into the back of the enemy's starting area and won immediately.

There's really not a best level for this, it really just depends on what you want. Just keep in mind that the higher level you get (assuming moderate+ optimization) the more you get into the rocket tag arena.

You could also consider doing things like restricting it to T3 or below, unless this is happening in a campaign where the characters already exist, then it's a little different.

CyberThread
2013-07-25, 02:43 PM
No this is very much player vs player, with me doing myself up as the God of the Arena.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-25, 02:43 PM
Are you referring to the Conjurer's Chess detailed in Complete Warrior?

Big Fau
2013-07-25, 02:47 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just play League of Legends or Smite? Cause that's what you're looking for.

CyberThread
2013-07-25, 02:51 PM
Playing a RPG game would be easier then DM'ing for my friends also, come on Big Fau, why bother if just going to downplay a thread?

Are you referring to the Conjurer's Chess detailed in Complete Warrior?

No I am not, I am actually being inspired by the shrine battle for miniatures d&D that I saw in dragon magazine 313, but looking to bring it more in line with custom builds instead of the miniatures.

BUT I will look that up see if it helps my needs here.

I looked it over, and it seems an easier way to maintain the power level and flow, and let me gain experience on such projects, before I try more complicated things.

SamBurke
2013-07-25, 02:59 PM
For the level, I'd go something mid, maybe 5-7. The most important thing is what classes. I'd recommend only Tiers Three and Four. Nothing above or below that, to maximize balance.

CyberThread
2013-07-25, 04:55 PM
Hmm tier 3 gives enough for illusion magic, blasting magic, some buffs, necro, and a handful of folks who can summon.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-07-25, 04:57 PM
Play E6 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250820)! It is the answer to all your balance problems.

Rainbownaga
2013-07-25, 05:11 PM
In a 3vs3 battle, casters with colour spray and sleep can still ruin the game if the level is too low. Also low level is rocket tag anyway.

CyberThread
2013-07-25, 05:13 PM
The more I look at it, the more cojurers chess , seems to be the solution.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-25, 07:19 PM
If you were going to custom make something, just have there be built-in features that block some of the low-level magic win-buttons. No teleporting within the foul box/shrine. Special guards that are immune to mind-affecting/sleep/illusions. Special one-use items handed out that can summon some muscle/disposable set of hands for when a mundane is playing without much magical aid.

The rules should try to introduce a level playing field. And thus they stand to be horribly complicated.:smallamused: