PDA

View Full Version : Oversized Weapon question (3.x)

RogueDM
2013-07-25, 02:44 PM
I am figuring on having my players encounter an enemy with an oversized ranged weapon, but I'd like him to be able to hit the broad side of a barn with it. Because of the specifics of the encounter I am restricted to him being a Spellscale (just... don't ask). I'm not opposed to applying a reasonable template, but I'd like to do this with feats or dips if at all possible.

Monkey Grip only works with melee weapons.

The NPC (potential BBEG) does not qualify for the Oversized Weapon epic feat from CW

Jotunbrud doesn't count for weapon size.

I would like to avoid Enlarging him if I can. I guess I could just hand him a +2 weapon and call that even but I figured I would appeal to the collective knowledge of the playground before just throwing gold at the problem.

PS: Yes, I know I can just Rule-0 this and/or homebrew my own feat. Just seeing if this already exists.

Big Fau
2013-07-25, 02:57 PM
Strongarm Bracers, from the MiC, give the benefits of Monkey Grip for any weapon (without the weaksauce of Monkey Grip).

Darrin
2013-07-25, 03:35 PM
You can also use the Touchstone feat from Sandstorm, link to the Shrine at Kahar (which is something of an easter egg for anyone who remembers module I3). Base ability gives you the equivalent of Powerful Build for 1 minute per day, and the higher-order ability extends this to 8 hours. Not something I generally recommend, as Strong Arm Bracers have no limitations on duration or uses per day, but if it's an NPC that they're only going to encounter a few times and you don't want to load the PCs down with cool magic items, then it might be another option to consider.

PraxisVetli
2013-07-29, 01:22 AM
Can you put the Mighty Wallop in a Ranged Weapon? Probably not.. but if you can. Also consider not bigger, but Denser. Try Platinum arrows/bolts. Same Size, but gives you the damage of bigger.

Arael666
2013-07-29, 01:25 PM
Do you really need a larger bow? Why not just the ammo? You can shoot a medium sized arrow and have it transform into a gargantuam size arow with Shrink Item.

I would totaly make the command word be "TIMBER!" for that

Urpriest
2013-07-29, 01:47 PM
Just describe the weapon as especially large. Larger weapons don't have any iconic tactics to them, so you should be able to use the same rules as a normal weapon.

As an alternative, if the guy is high enough level and has casting, lots of archers enjoy polymorphing into Arrow Demons, which can use oversized bows.