PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get regeneration

bot
2013-07-25, 02:47 PM
Hi, any thoughts about how to get regeneration the most easy way?

I've read in other threads about troll blooded, however I've also read somewhere that it's a regional greyhawk feat and I'm playing FR.

Next best I've found is 4 levels in troll via savage speices. But are there anything better/quicker then this? (short of buying the ring of course). Preferably as low level as possible.

Shalist
2013-07-25, 02:49 PM
Dukar hand coral (CoV pg 64, 2600 gp)

Slotless item thats implanted into your hand. With it, you will regenerate a lost eye in 1d2 days, and a missing limb in 2d8 days (well, unless the hand its implanted in is lopped off). It also accelerates the natural healing process, adding your HD to your daily healing, and helps you hold your breath longer.

Big Fau
2013-07-25, 02:51 PM
Are you just looking for the healing factor, or is there another reason you want it? If you just want the healing, there are a number of feats that provide healing abilities (there's actually a handbook on MinMax for it).

bot
2013-07-25, 02:56 PM

Slotless item thats implanted into your hand. With it, you will regenerate a lost eye in 1d2 days, and a missing limb in 2d8 days (well, unless the hand its implanted in is lopped off). It also accelerates the natural healing process, adding your HD to your daily healing, and helps you hold your breath longer.

Sounds cool though, I'll look that one up

ksbsnowowl
2013-07-25, 02:56 PM
Define "easy."

There is a magical location in Fiendish Codex 2, called the Shriver, that can give you Regeneration (... chaotic or good?)

Of course, it is located in Hell, and surviving to get the Regeneration would require a higher level character. Its abilities are valued at 30,000 gp.

bot
2013-07-25, 02:57 PM
Are you just looking for the healing factor, or is there another reason you want it? If you just want the healing, there are a number of feats that provide healing abilities (there's actually a handbook on MinMax for it).

Mostly looking for the nonlethal deal, so that I won't die from something as simple as loss of hit points :)

bot
2013-07-25, 03:00 PM
Define "easy."

There is a magical location in Fiendish Codex 2, called the Shriver, that can give you Regeneration (... chaotic or good?)

Of course, it is located in Hell, and surviving to get the Regeneration would require a higher level character. Its abilities are valued at 30,000 gp.

ahh sweet find! I'll look at that one as well. Probably not easy in a way I hoped for, but nice to know for another time :P

Edit: wow ok, very cool site but I think this must the the very definition of the hardest possible way lol

Big Fau
2013-07-25, 03:20 PM
Mostly looking for the nonlethal deal, so that I won't die from something as simple as loss of hit points :)

While it isn't Regeneration, the Rage Claws soulmeld from the MoI can increase how far into the Negative HPs you get and gives you a better version of Diehard. This gives you a buffer to get away from whatever is about to kill you.

Out of curiosity what does your character currently look like? Or is this a thought experiment?

bot
2013-07-25, 03:31 PM
While it isn't Regeneration, the Rage Claws soulmeld from the MoI can increase how far into the Negative HPs you get and gives you a better version of Diehard. This gives you a buffer to get away from whatever is about to kill you.

Out of curiosity what does your character currently look like? Or is this a thought experiment?

Ah cool, I'm working on a totemist parallel to this - so i'll keep this in mind too.

The character isn't defined yet, so I was thinking about building something interesting up around whatever that could get regeneration - so far that being a 4 levels in troll class.

ksbsnowowl
2013-07-25, 03:42 PM
I was thinking about building something interesting up around whatever that could get regeneration - so far that being a 4 levels in troll class.

Are you talking the Troll class from Savage Species? You do realize that you can't just take 4 levels, get Regen 1, then stop, correct? You CAN'T multiclass away from Troll until you have completed it, all 11 levels of it.

That said, I think the lowest ECL regenerating race is the Ice Troll from Unapproachable East. It has 5 RHD and +5 LA.

bot
2013-07-25, 04:00 PM
Are you talking the Troll class from Savage Species? You do realize that you can't just take 4 levels, get Regen 1, then stop, correct? You CAN'T multiclass away from Troll until you have completed it, all 11 levels of it.

That said, I think the lowest ECL regenerating race is the Ice Troll from Unapproachable East. It has 5 RHD and +5 LA.

Ouch, no I didn't realize that.

Regen really isn't an ability to easily come by :)

Big Fau
2013-07-25, 05:55 PM
Ouch, no I didn't realize that.

Regen really isn't an ability to easily come by :)

They put a little too much value on it, but then again WotC (and many others) assumed that infinite healing destabilizes the game.

Perseus
2013-07-25, 06:35 PM

I've read in other threads about troll blooded, however I've also read somewhere that it's a regional greyhawk feat and I'm playing FR.

Next best I've found is 4 levels in troll via savage speices. But are there anything better/quicker then this? (short of buying the ring of course). Preferably as low level as possible.

Technically you just need a good reason why you were from greyhawk and now you aren't...

:p

Cruiser1
2013-07-25, 07:51 PM
Magic, of course! It wins D&D every time. :smallwink: The most powerful thing about the true regeneration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#regeneration) special ability isn't the fast healing, but rather being immune to non-lethal damage. Then a spell like Favor of the Martyr (SC), which makes you immune to non-lethal damage, makes you (except for ways that overcome the regeneration, which by default is fire and acid) immune to all damage period!

To get regeneration, Shapechange (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shapechange.htm) via spell or custom item into something with regeneration as a special quality, like a Troll. The Clr5 spell Monstrous Regeneration (MoF) granted regeneration 4, but unfortunately it was reprinted as Greater Vigor (SC) which only grants fast healing. If you can get permission to use the old 3.0 version of the spell, that's an easy way to get it.

ayvango
2018-01-11, 05:03 PM
To get regeneration, Shapechange
Shapechange has lesser cousin named fiendform. You could use it to attain ex, su, spl abilities of a bloodbag imp, which is regeneration 4.

Thurbane
2018-01-11, 05:13 PM

I was unaware of this item. Wow. Underpriced much? You normally need a 7th level spell to do a fraction of what this item does.

FR strikes again. :smallamused:

eggynack
2018-01-11, 06:27 PM
There's always the druid method. Tons of creatures you can wild shape into have regeneration or fast healing, and from there it's just an enhance wild shape to get the ability. There're a couple of animals that have fast healing, a bunch of plants with either ability, and I think some aberrations pick up one or the other as well. Ctrl+f'ing the relevant parts of my handbook (wild shape and alternate wild shape forms) should provide a good list.

Doctor Awkward
2018-01-11, 06:40 PM
The Wendigo Template gives you Regeneration 5 (fire) as an extraordinary ability, among other goodies like fly 120 ft (perfect), some massive ability score increases, AC to charisma as a deflection bonus, the ability to go incorporeal at will as a move action, and a ridiculous bite attack for only a +4 LA.

You have to be chaotic evil though.

I had a player in a game once who made a Wendigo Cleric/Bone Knight that took the Savage Species ritual to give himself the fire subtype.

He was immune to all damage. Good times.

bot
2018-01-12, 01:50 PM
lol thanks for the replies! I created this topic back in 2013.

I still haven't had a chance to try out a char with regeneration - I'll take this as a reminder to rekindle my dreams of old ;-)

skunk3
2018-01-12, 04:29 PM
Regeneration only seems like it'd be good at lower levels, because otherwise the amount regenerated is paltry compared to the amount of damage being dealt to you... although I suppose that if you had a fair amount of regen as well as DR and were facing mostly non-caster types who can't overcome your DR, then that'd be nasty.

ayvango
2018-01-12, 04:34 PM
Regeneration only seems like it'd be good at lower levels, because otherwise the amount regenerated is paltry compared to the amount of damage being dealt to you.
Regeneration was never good as standalone feature. It always walk together with fire/acid immunity and ignoring non-lethatl damage