PDA

View Full Version : Low LA ( +2 or less) Non-Humanoid ( in shape) races?

ElectricMadman
2013-07-25, 03:54 PM
I would like to know of any low-level-adjustment ( that is , +2 or less) races that do not have a humanoid body shape? I would like to know especially if there are any weak aberrations with low LA ( I can cope with up to +4 if it is an abberation race) .

Modifications of existing abberations to make them balanced enough to be ≤+4
LA playable races would be nice.

For example, if someone could make a weakened version of the Phasm from 3.5 , I would love it.

The Viscount
2013-07-25, 04:48 PM
Bariaurs (Planar Handbook)are tauric. LA+1

Diopsids (Dragon Compendium) are only humanoid in a rough sense, and they have 4 arms. LA+1

Tibbits (Dragon Compendium) can be humanoid, but if in cat form are not. LA+0

Hengeyokai (Oriental Adventures) can also be humanoid, but if in animal form are not. LA+0 with dragonmag update

Aarakocra (Races of Faerun) are also humanoid, but only vaguely. LA+1

Dolgrim (Eberron Campaign Setting) have faces on their torsos, so not quite humanoid. LA+2

Ixitxachitl (MM2) are stingrays. LA+2

Kenku (MM3) are sort of humanoid...ish, but the beak and claws are pushing it. LA+0

Nezumi (Oriental Adventures) are also pushing it. They are rat people. LA+0

Muckdwellers (Serpent Kingdoms) are Tiny Lizards. LA+0

Dolgrim and ixitxachitl are both aberrations, though the latter is extremely difficult to use in a non-aquatic campaign.

There are a few low-LA humanoid aberrations such as the Synad and Elan, for completeness.

ksbsnowowl
2013-07-25, 05:15 PM
He is specifically looking for non-humanoid shapes. He wants odd-ball things like beholders and grell.

Gemini476
2013-07-25, 05:29 PM
Didn't someone find a spider that had been given LA in errata, and then made it a Skitterhaunt (?) Sentry Ooze to give it an Int score (since PCs need int according to the PHB)?

EDIT: edited for autocorrect. In some circles, this is known as the Cupertino Effect. Google it if you want.

ksbsnowowl
2013-07-25, 05:37 PM
Didn't someone find a spider that had been given LA in errata, and then made it a Skitterhaunt (?) Sentry Ooze to give it an Intended score (since PCs need into according to the PHB)?

Hairy spider, Monsters of Faerun, and the PGtF web enhancement.

The Viscount
2013-07-25, 06:38 PM
Yes, but that combination isn't quite playable. You need one more template to boost int to 3. Also, neither skitterhaunt nor sentry ooze have listed LA. Depending on DM, some might rule this as LA+0, some as LA-.

ElectricMadman
2013-07-25, 08:25 PM
Yes, I do not want humanoid shaped races.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-25, 09:44 PM
You can play some Wyrmling (True) Dragons with low LA.

Keld Denar
2013-07-25, 09:52 PM
Centaurs have a +2 LA and 4 RHD. You only said LA, though... :smallbiggrin:

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-25, 10:04 PM
Steel Dragons also have 2 la and 4 rhd...

But are actually playable, with the right options chosen.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9064.0

Venusaur
2013-07-25, 10:29 PM
Thri-Kreen has 2 LA, but 2 HD as well. Beguiler has LA +0, and makes you a rat thing, but is technically cohort only, so ask your DM.

Keld Denar
2013-07-25, 11:21 PM
Non-Psionic 'Kreen are only LA+1 with 2 RHD. Totally worth it for some melee builds, especially Tiger Claw Warblades.

Gemini476
2013-07-26, 04:46 AM
Yes, but that combination isn't quite playable. You need one more template to boost int to 3. Also, neither skitterhaunt nor sentry ooze have listed LA. Depending on DM, some might rule this as LA+0, some as LA-.

For creatures, no listed LA means LA:-. For templates, no ,listed LA means LA:As base creature ( or LA:+0). Since it seems like WotC were largely ignorant of that ruling, we get stuff like this.

Not that they expected PCs to be vermin or ooze to begin with.

VariSami
2013-07-26, 05:19 AM
Savage Species has progressions for quite a few non-humanoids such as elementals, Araneas, Barghests, Belkers, Ettercaps, Griffons, Grigs, etc. I have understood that they are quite weak for what they do but at least it opens quite a few possibilities. Of course, they are mostly not +2 ECL or less but at least they are playable (well, possible to play) at any level.

ElectricMadman
2013-07-26, 02:29 PM
Any Lovecraftian-type races?

LOTRfan
2013-07-26, 02:34 PM
Oh, I know something that you might like. Does it have to be published material, or can (extremely well done) homebrew be used?

EDIT: You seem to be offline, and I need to go soon, so I'll just leave the link anyway and you can do what you will with it. Introducing the VorpalTribble's race of parasitic nonhumanoids, the Gutfolk! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115814).

123456789blaaa
2013-07-26, 02:34 PM
Krenshar have +2 LA in the SRD.

Mithril Leaf
2013-07-26, 04:36 PM
Any Lovecraftian-type races?

Not quite Non-Humanoid, but the Daelkyr Half Blood grows a parasite that they bond with. They're aberrations and feel a bit Lovecraftian.

ElectricMadman
2013-07-26, 06:03 PM
Well done home-brew is great, LOTRfan.