PDA

View Full Version : Improving Monk's Belt

LordHenry
2013-07-25, 04:59 PM
Monk's Belt, as it is, is a rather sub-optimal item, that is, for actual monks. It's quite good for druids or clerics for cheap wis to AC.

However, one of my players, an actual monk/druid would like to get one...

So my question is, how can I improve a Monk's Belt, so that it retains it's flavour and becomes a decent magic item for around 30.000 gp.

I thought about adding some speed bonus, or giving him deflect arrow etc.

What are your ideas?

eggynack
2013-07-25, 05:04 PM
Can't you just do this rule style? Figure out what items you want on the item, use the item combination rules, and make a new item. Maybe put gloves of arrow snaring of some kind on the belt, and a speed booster if that's what you want. Basically, just stick whatever you think would fit thematically on there, and do the whole thing within the rules.

Alaris
2013-07-25, 05:07 PM
Can't you just do this rule style? Figure out what items you want on the item, use the item combination rules, and make a new item. Maybe put gloves of arrow snaring of some kind on the belt, and a speed booster if that's what you want. Basically, just stick whatever you think would fit thematically on there, and do the whole thing within the rules.

I'm agreeing in regards to thematically.

For instance, I would also make it treat the monk as 5 levels higher for the purposes of her "Unarmored Speed Bonus" (Fast Movement). Maybe "Slow Fall" too? "Flurry of Blows" would be too powerful... though maybe some flat to-hit or damage bonuses with unarmed strike or monk weapons?

All of these are possibilities.

LordHenry
2013-07-25, 05:11 PM
Good ideas, but what would you think is a thematically fitting goodie for a monk, other than those mentioned already?

Tulya
2013-07-25, 05:48 PM
If a monk's belt allowed monks to add their extra attacks from Flurry of Blows to attacks made as a standard action, it'd be a viable alternative to splashing for Pounce or the equivalent. Though, that's probably better for a general monk tweak than slapping it on a magic item and making it absolutely must-have in core.

Edit: For those that allow a monk to flurry on a pounce, anyway.

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-25, 05:53 PM
Add the other unarmed weapon things to it, at no extra cost. Add Fanged Ring from Dragon Magic, Amulet of natural weaponry (or whatever it is called, from savage species), maybe the benefits of Monks Tattoo (Magic of Faerun)...

Spuddles
2013-07-25, 06:52 PM
+4 to Wildshaping level, all natural attacks use natural attack dice or unarmed strike dice, whatever's larger, all natural/unarmed attacks gain the flaming enhancement....

LordHenry
2013-07-26, 01:34 AM
Intersting ideas, thanks. Would it be too strong if I gave it a use-activated 1/day mighty wallop, greater (CL 8). I'd not want it for 8 hours, maybe activate as a swift action and just for rounds/lvl? Or make it higher CL and swift activate and last just one round?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-26, 02:21 AM
I think a useful addition, for Monks only, would be the effect of having trained with a Sparring Dummy of the Master (Arms and Equipment Guide, page 137): the option to take a 10' step instead of a 5' step.

Monks are required to use the full attack action for their flurry of blows class ability, but too squishy to withstand full counterattacks. Being able to make a full attack and then step away 10' would be a nice tactical upgrade.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-26, 03:07 AM
Well here's my improvement.

Belt, Monk’s: This simple rope belt, when wrapped around a character’s waist, confers great ability in unarmed combat. The wearer’s AC is treated as a monk of five levels higher and his unarmed damage increases one step. If this would increase the effective monk level past 20 increase the Monk AC by 1 and treat the unarmed damage as if the monk was one size category larger.

If donned by a character with the Stunning Fist feat, the belt lets her make one additional stunning attack per day. If the character is not a monk, she gains the unarmed damage and +1 AC bonus of a 5th-level monk, but not the wisdom bonus to AC.

Two things it removes the grossly overpowered ability of wisdom bonus to AC, and has the belt remain useful for a 16th level monk.

LordHenry
2013-07-26, 07:38 AM
I really like the idea with the 10 ft step!

So, how would you price the following, upgraded monk's belt (taking the item creation guidelines from the book, but also taking into account the actual power of the item):

- Only meaningfully useable by a Monk (def. no wis to AC for non-monks!)
- Unarmarmed damage as a 5 monk lvl higher (cap 20)
- + 1 AC
- +10 ft. speed
- 1 additional stunning fist attempt
- If you have imp. critical (unarmed): Get Keen Strike (crit on 18-20, slashing)
- If not, get imp. critical
- Slow Fall 50 ft.
- 10 ft. step insted of only 5 ft.
- Activate Mighty Wallop, Greater 1/day as swift action for 1 round only (CL 12)

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-26, 07:51 AM
I would have the belt give monks constant haste.

TuggyNE
2013-07-26, 08:02 AM
I would have the belt give monks constant haste.

An extra attack is always nice, and so is more AC. Pity the speed bonus doesn't stack though.

Spuddles
2013-07-26, 10:57 AM
I think a useful addition, for Monks only, would be the effect of having trained with a Sparring Dummy of the Master (Arms and Equipment Guide, page 137): the option to take a 10' step instead of a 5' step.

Monks are required to use the full attack action for their flurry of blows class ability, but too squishy to withstand full counterattacks. Being able to make a full attack and then step away 10' would be a nice tactical upgrade.

That's a very good idea.

Similarly, have it grant reach, perhaps as per the Iron Heart stance that gives you reach on your turn.

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-26, 11:27 AM
Have you seen the items I mentioned? Give Improved Natural Attack (Unarmed Strike), and deal con damage like the Fanged Ring, for example.