PDA

View Full Version : Simple initiative question

Eonas
2013-07-25, 06:08 PM
If another character joins combat in the middle of the initiative round, how do things work? Does he just immediately roll initiative? If he rolls higher than anybody else (or if he enters combat on initiative count 13, but rolls a 17 or something for initiative), does that mean he doesn't get to act that round?

I'd appreciate if anybody more rules-savvy than I could explain this to me.

Tvtyrant
2013-07-25, 07:20 PM
If another character joins combat in the middle of the initiative round, how do things work? Does he just immediately roll initiative? If he rolls higher than anybody else (or if he enters combat on initiative count 13, but rolls a 17 or something for initiative), does that mean he doesn't get to act that round?

I'd appreciate if anybody more rules-savvy than I could explain this to me.

I think it depends on whether he/she expected to enter combat. If not than I would rule that the first round is a surprise round and they roll initiative but do not act until their next turn. If they are expecting it they get to act immediately if their initiative is higher than anyone else's, and then they act on their normal turn the next round.

By RAW I have no idea.

Khedrac
2013-07-26, 06:52 AM
Actaully the rules state that new entities joining a combat join at the top of the initiative order. This means that they don't join during a round, they join between rounds.
Often the first action such new combatents take is the move action to get to the combat (e.g. open the door or move up the corridor).
Now whilst one cannot ready an action out of combat, if you become aware of an ongoing combat (thus joining in) you can then ready an action as you are now in combat.
This means that whilst one cannot ready to attack somoene the other side of a door when it is opened if you are not in combat, you an if you are in combat. Weird, but there you go (and actually better balanced).

Eonas
2013-07-26, 01:34 PM
Actaully the rules state that new entities joining a combat join at the top of the initiative order. This means that they don't join during a round, they join between rounds.
Often the first action such new combatents take is the move action to get to the combat (e.g. open the door or move up the corridor).
Now whilst one cannot ready an action out of combat, if you become aware of an ongoing combat (thus joining in) you can then ready an action as you are now in combat.
This means that whilst one cannot ready to attack somoene the other side of a door when it is opened if you are not in combat, you an if you are in combat. Weird, but there you go (and actually better balanced).

Thank you, that's very helpful!

cerin616
2013-07-26, 02:01 PM
I will now open all doors by first punching my teammates "Ow!" "nah man its cool, we are in combat, and you can ready an action!"

Darth Stabber
2013-07-26, 04:37 PM
I will now open all doors by first punching my teammates "Ow!" "nah man its cool, we are in combat, and you can ready an action!"

Caveat: if you do that, the monsters get to go first for the rest of the fight .