PDA

View Full Version : Emergency character assistance

Draconisister
2013-07-25, 06:45 PM
One of my friends asked me to fill a slot for his campaign tomorrow, eeek.
I need some help making my character.
Our current party is as fallows
Elf wizard
Human bard
half orc cleric
scout (race unkown)
I will be playing a Binder
we are starting at level 1 and I 'can' have a race with a LA of +1, my rolls are, 13, 15, 17, 13, 10, 16. because of my need for Cha I will be the party diplomat. It wont be the bard because in the world the Elves Humans and Orcs are at war making me also the party peace keeper. I need help building this character before our game tomorrow night. I'm not sure where I want to go with this character it just needs to fit in with the party of squishy. Please help me out

Flickerdart
2013-07-25, 06:51 PM
You may be better off with a Crusader or something else tanky, but Aym and later Savnok will get you a measure of protection and then you can coordinate with the cleric and scout in melee to make sure nobody dies.

Draconisister
2013-07-25, 06:58 PM
Any sugestions on race? I would like to avoid elf, human, orc or the half breed version to stay un bised in the war and not be hated by any one side.

Kazyan
2013-07-25, 07:04 PM
Skarn, form Magic of Incarnum, would be nice for melee. They have +2 Str, a natural attack, and an Intimidate bonus (which you should be maxing as a Binder).

You should be able to bind Savnok right at level 1, if you take Improved Binding.

If you can have LA+1 due to a template, try a Draconic Skarn. More natural attacks, +Str, +Con, and +Cha. May have some internal angst over diluting the Mishtai line--good roleplay fuel.

Draconisister
2013-07-25, 07:35 PM
hmmm would Aym's halo of fire add damage to the skam's natural attack or would i have to make touch attacks in order to do the fire damage?because that might be something cool to do as well

Flickerdart
2013-07-25, 07:39 PM
By RAW, Aym's Halo of Fire isn't actually a touch attack itself, it just adds 1d6 points of fire damage to melee touch attacks you make. However, that's stupid, and a sensible DM would probably rule that if touching a guy deals fire damage then so does punching a guy (especially since you can channel touch spells through unarmed strikes or natural attacks already).

Draconisister
2013-07-25, 07:55 PM
If i play a Skam how would you suggest I assign my rolls? the 16 or 17 would need to be in cha but after that I'm at a loss.

Kazyan
2013-07-25, 09:01 PM
If i play a Skam how would you suggest I assign my rolls? the 16 or 17 would need to be in cha but after that I'm at a loss.

My suggestion:

STR 17 (15 + 2)
DEX 11 (13 - 2)
CON 16
INT 13
WIS 10
CHA 17

You want a postiive INT modifier for the skill points to do the party face thing: Intimidate, Diplomacy, and Bluff or Sense Motive. The 16 goes into CON because binders only have a d8 hit die: ew, for a melee character. High STR because you want to melee. WIS doesn't do much for you, so it's your dump stat. DEX gets a 13 by process of elimination.

Remember that, as a binder, your Pact Augmentations can adjust the stuff usually derived from your attributes. +X to hit, +X to AC, +5X HP, etc.. Do not forget that you have Pact Augmentations; they're what let you competently change your party role every day.

Segev
2013-07-25, 09:15 PM
I've been mildly obsessed lately, but Binder might be one of the classes a Dvati can do well. And having two bodies might just be a great way to sit people down to talk without having to have them in arm's reach. The race DOES require some careful sit-down with the DM to iron out how he wants to run their rules, though.

Draconisister
2013-07-25, 09:16 PM
what would I want for my feat? should i do the improved binding and go for Savnok or some thing else and do a flaming spine Aym binder thingy?

Kazyan
2013-07-25, 09:38 PM
You should take Improved Binding at some point early in your progression--it's just that good. Take it as your 4th level bonus feat at the latest. I'd go for it at 1st level, as it gets you access to Malphas, which is awesome for scouting. Savnok will probably do well at 1st level as well--free full plate!

Besides, several basic melee feats (Power Attack, EWP: Spiked Chain) commonly require BAB +1, which you will not have at level 1.