PDA

View Full Version : Spell in spell storing weapon

Pigkappa
2013-07-25, 07:03 PM
Which spells are good to be placed in a spell-storing weapon?

Additional constraints:
Books allowed: PHB, DMG, MM1, Complete Adventurer+Arcane+Divine+Warrior.
Spells available: the party wizard is probably willing to learn a spell and cast it, but he has Necromancy as forbidden school. We have a cleric and a bard but no druids.
The party is level 8.
The weapon is a spiked chain and the wielder (Ranger2/Barbarian1/Ranger2/Cleric1/Rogue1/Fighter1) specializes in tripping.
"Fort negates" and "Will negates" spells are bad; the party wizard already targets those saves in every fight.

Perseus
2013-07-25, 08:34 PM
Which spells are good to be placed in a spell-storing weapon?

Additional constraints:
Books allowed: PHB, DMG, MM1, Complete Adventurer+Arcane+Divine+Warrior.
Spells available: the party wizard is probably willing to learn a spell and cast it, but he has Necromancy as forbidden school. We have a cleric and a bard but no druids.
The party is level 8.
The weapon is a spiked chain and the wielder (Ranger2/Barbarian1/Ranger2/Cleric1/Rogue1/Fighter1) specializes in tripping.
"Fort negates" and "Will negates" spells are bad; the party wizard already targets those saves in every fight.

Ummm actually you want to target either fort or will since they are usually the most crippling effects.

Just cause you target the same save doesn't mean it will have the same effect.

pteromath
2013-07-25, 09:39 PM
You have two real restrictions with a spell-storing weapon:

1.) The spell must be targeted
2.) The spell must be 3rd level or lower.

That gives you a TON of options. It just depends on what you want to do.

Do you want to deal damage? If so, I would suggest shocking grasp, magic missile, scorching ray, or maybe Melf's acid arrow.

Do you want to debuff? If so, your best bets are going to be Necromancy spells like Ray of Enfeeblement. Although, Silence can be targeted... which would be interesting vs. casters.

Segev
2013-07-25, 11:14 PM
Your wizard probably isn't willing to learn a feat for this, but if he has Sanctum Spell, a bit of cheese in that it LOWERS the actual level of the spell if it's cast outside your Sanctum means you can squeeze 4th level spells (of which I think Baleful Polymorph is one) into a Spell Storing weapon.

Perseus
2013-07-26, 07:15 AM
Your wizard probably isn't willing to learn a feat for this, but if he has Sanctum Spell, a bit of cheese in that it LOWERS the actual level of the spell if it's cast outside your Sanctum means you can squeeze 4th level spells (of which I think Baleful Polymorph is one) into a Spell Storing weapon.

Added bonus is that if you convince the wizard of this then the initial volley of books will be aimed at the wizard's head.

drack
2013-07-26, 09:39 AM
Do you want to deal damage? If so, I would suggest shocking grasp, magic missile, scorching ray, or maybe Melf's acid arrow.

Yup, if he could do necromancy vampiric touch is pretty good, but the grasp spells work rather well too.

ericgrau
2013-07-26, 12:26 PM
It has to be targeted with a "Target:" line not merely involve a foe with an attack roll. Which oddly enough leaves out the ray spells. It would be nice if they actually clarified these things.

Vampiric touch, inflicts, empowered magic missile, poison, hold person. The last one can be good on a reach weapon AoO, followed by a coup de grace. Doesn't always work but then you don't always need to insert hold person.

CigarPete
2013-07-26, 12:46 PM
My favorites are vampiric touch and combust. You can also throw buffs in there if you don't mind taking an attack dealing non-lethal on yourself or an ally.

Svata
2013-07-26, 12:56 PM
Reminds me of my "Healing Shiv". A tiny-sized spell storing dagger with a(n outside of) Sanctum Cure Critical Wounds (from the party bard who was planning on going sublime chord). Good times.

Pigkappa
2013-07-26, 04:16 PM
The abuse of Sanctum Spell is above the level of cheese I can introduce. I'm already particularly observed; as I mentioned, I'm playing a Ranger/Rogue/Cleric/Fighter/Barbarian.

Necromancy is out of question since it's a forbidden school for the wizard.

What do you mean by "grasp spells"? I only know of Shocking Grasp for 5d6 damage which is a reasonable choice but I think we can do better.

Inflict X Wounds are viable but they don't really deal much damage if the opponent saves. Also, the cleric is a weird guy who could see casting Inflict spells as Evil.

I don't like low level spells with "Fort negates" and "Will negates", as Poison and Hold Person.

Combust isn't in the allowed books.

The best spell I've found for now is Bands of Steel from Complete Arcane. If you succeed a Reflex save you are entangled. If you fail you are immobilized.

drack
2013-07-26, 04:24 PM
What do you mean by "grasp spells"? I only know of Shocking Grasp for 5d6 damage which is a reasonable choice but I think we can do better.

I don't like low level spells with "Fort negates" and "Will negates", as Poison and Hold Person.

The best spell I've found for now is Bands of Steel from Complete Arcane. If you succeed a Reflex save you are entangled. If you fail you are immobilized.

It seems the exact name has slipped me. I seem to recall some cold or electric touch, grip, something to do with contact that was good in items, though I may have been recollecting from another use.

So what exactly makes reflex so good again? :smallconfused:

Perseus
2013-07-26, 04:58 PM
It seems the exact name has slipped me. I seem to recall some cold or electric touch, grip, something to do with contact that was good in items, though I may have been recollecting from another use.

20 Rogues that have Improved Evasion are standing next to a nuke bomb.

Nuke bomb goes off...

Chances are that 1 of them will survive :smalltongue:

drack
2013-07-26, 05:00 PM
No, I mean why does he want the one to survive his attack? :smalltongue: Evasion is exactly why I don't see the point to offering reflex saves rather then fort and will saves. Fort and will people don't bother with as much.

Pigkappa
2013-07-26, 06:38 PM

I can choose when to activate the spell in the weapon. We already have spells that target the Fort and Will saves, but nothing that targets the Reflex save in the party. So when we find something presumably weak on the Reflex side, I can go for it.

drack
2013-07-26, 07:12 PM
Ah... I don't see the ham in redundancy... :smalltongue:

Pigkappa
2013-07-26, 08:24 PM
For example, the Will save has been hit the hardest in the campaign (the wizard has been casting Slumber or Deep Slumber in every fight) and we have the unsettling feeling that a growing amount of opponents is getting the Iron Will feat.