PDA

View Full Version : Battle Sorc tweak

Blackhawk748
2013-07-25, 08:27 PM
I love the Battle Sorcerer, i mean its gish in an ACF, however im not big on the fact that i get spells even slower than the normal Sorc does, it seems a bit ridiculous considering ive already lost one spell slot per level. So would getting rid of the one less Spells Known per level make this ACF to potent, or would it just make it a bit more playable?

Snowbluff
2013-07-25, 08:44 PM
The benefits are negligible to the caster's uh... casting ability, but you do have to give up something. How about the familiar?

Blackhawk748
2013-07-25, 08:56 PM
considering thats really all the Sorcerer has to trade i guess that would be it.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-07-25, 09:04 PM
Way too much of a boost for just the familiar. In exchange for a class feature worth one feat, you get two feats (light armor proficiency and a MWP), a bigger hit die (worth about two Improved Toughness feats, on average) medium BAB and casting in light armor?

A good way to tell if an option is overpowered is if it's a no-brainer. If you look at it and can't see any (non-fluff) reason why a character wouldn't take it. Battle Sorcerer for the low, low price of a familiar is exactly such an option.

If you don't like reducing spells known, how about you reduce spells/level/day by one, to a minimum of 0? (the partial caster 0 spells/day, where you still get bonus spells if you have a high enough stat)

Blackhawk748
2013-07-25, 09:31 PM
it already does that, it drops spells per day to 5 at max, and takes away 1 spell known per spell level, which has the net value of making it lag behind Sorcerer casting. Honestly i just feel that Sorcerers have generally crappy ACFs because WotC didnt give them anything to trade but spells, which makes them lag behind Wizards even more which just makes me more annoyed

Thiyr
2013-07-25, 09:33 PM
Personally, I'd say just give it to the sorc out of the box. Why? Mostly due to the sorc already giving up a decent chunk in comparison to the wizard and cleric by comparison. Not perfect parallels, but the sorc gets the shaft in the context of those two, so giving it slightly less than the cleric gets proficiency/chassis wise doesn't seem like too much.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-25, 09:42 PM
Way too much of a boost for just the familiar. In exchange for a class feature worth one feat, you get two feats (light armor proficiency and a MWP), a bigger hit die (worth about two Improved Toughness feats, on average) medium BAB and casting in light armor?

HD improving by one step is worth a single Improved Toughness, not two.

Personally, I'd say just give it to the sorc out of the box. Why? Mostly due to the sorc already giving up a decent chunk in comparison to the wizard and cleric by comparison. Not perfect parallels, but the sorc gets the shaft in the context of those two, so giving it slightly less than the cleric gets proficiency/chassis wise doesn't seem like too much.

I'm tempted to. I mean, I already give them Eschew Materials and a d6 HD out of the box, along with a bonus Heritage/Metamagic feat every 5 levels (as a Wizard's bonus feats), so the BAB bump wouldn't be too bad.

The armor thing makes me leery, though. It just doesn't fit the flavour for sorcs that I want them to have.

Snowbluff
2013-07-25, 09:49 PM

A good way to tell if an option is overpowered is if it's a no-brainer. If you look at it and can't see any (non-fluff) reason why a character wouldn't take it. Battle Sorcerer for the low, low price of a familiar is exactly such an option.

Do you know how good a familiar is? Besides, Imp Toughness is considered a pretty lousy feat, even if it's an improvement over its impotent predecessor. Casters can easily cast in light armor already, which is something else you should know.

Blackhawk748
2013-07-25, 10:34 PM
I agree with pretty much everything that has been said, i dont wanna make the Battle Sorc OP but right now its rather sad and lonely as im the only guy in any of my goups willing to play it and thats because i think the Sorcerer and anything related to it is the greatest most awesome thing in the universe. (im kinda like that annoying guy that always plays a wizard and is really good at it, except im not annoyingly OP because i optimize for fluff. Who needs unlimited power when your backstory sucks :smalltongue:) I mean i REALLY wanna be a mage/beatstick and Duskblades are awesome, but the reason Duskblades only do to 6th level spells is because they can shove those spells into their sword. I mean if they got access to disintegrate i gurantee that someone would find a way to stuff it into their sword and promptly full attack with it.