PDA

View Full Version : artificer class help

luthais
2013-07-25, 09:13 PM
Currently playing a lvl3 warlock, with homebrew werewolf race. The group is looking at a very likely tpk. So, I'm looking to roll a warforged for when we most likely die. Thinking about artificer, but is there something out there that is similar but gives a little melee as well? Or would it be better to simply use a straight melee class?

Telonius
2013-07-25, 11:40 PM
What about Artificer makes it attractive to you? Just the fact that you'd be able to heal yourself, or do you really like the idea of being a magic item factory?

I've had experience with a very effective Warforged Warblade. A level or two of magic-user never hurt anybody, but I'd suggest that you figure out whether you're going to be a melee guy with a few arcane tricks, or an arcane guy who can mix it up in melee if absolutely necessary.

Fyermind
2013-07-25, 11:47 PM
Artificers are very solid melee characters if they make the right items. Warforged with Adamantine Body really helps their durability.

Prof.Smythe
2013-07-26, 12:46 AM
Warforged artificer's can also apply the armour/stat/other non-weapon augment buffs directly on themselves so they've got some good survivability options there. The class though is a toolkit with skilled/trapping, 'casting' & crafting abilities all rolled into one. You should probably be fine making a melee focused version with Adamantine Body, an item that copies 'Master's Touch' (for your choice of melee weapon) and the most annoyingly silly thing in my experience - 24 hour persisted blink spells.:smallcool:

luthais
2013-07-28, 04:23 PM
Ok, so a talk with my DM confirmed that he isn't going to allow warforged. As such, I figured the next best thing is human. Now for the build questions. The level cap for this campaign is set at 100, so I've got tons of time to fully spec out the class. I like the idea of being the guy that can slash with his longsword in one hand, and use a wand with the other. But, the idea of the "walking magic item factory" doesn't sound entirely horrible either. Question is, what do you guys think is the best path for starting out? Go for melee right off the bat, or make items to stay ranged until higher levels? I'm open to suggestions for feats/skill point allotment/ect. Any help I can get would be awesome, thanks guys. Should I go ahead and grab the creation requirement reduction feats? So on and so forth. Also, will most likely be starting this char at either lvl 3 or 4.

Alienist
2013-07-28, 07:11 PM
If you're human, and in Eberron you MUST take a dragonmark of making. It gives you access to the best level 1 summon in the game.

This one won't last three rounds, it'll last three hours.

Yes it means you're a member of house harkonnen cannith, but that's a small price to pay. In fact if I remember correctly you could sell your dragonmark service for 50gp per day, so it's more like you get paid... Oh yes, and your other party members are expected/required to call you Lord d'Cannith. :-)

If you're not in Eberron but your DM is allowing Eberron material (if not how did Artificer sneak in, hmm?) then the above also applies, minus the "cultural baggage" of house membership.

luthais
2013-07-28, 08:10 PM
If you're human, and in Eberron you MUST take a dragonmark of making. It gives you access to the best level 1 summon in the game.

This one won't last three rounds, it'll last three hours.

Yes it means you're a member of house harkonnen cannith, but that's a small price to pay. In fact if I remember correctly you could sell your dragonmark service for 50gp per day, so it's more like you get paid... Oh yes, and your other party members are expected/required to call you Lord d'Cannith. :-)

If you're not in Eberron but your DM is allowing Eberron material (if not how did Artificer sneak in, hmm?) then the above also applies, minus the "cultural baggage" of house membership.

He says he will allow the class, but may have to make some minor alterations. Not really changing the mechanics, but keeping it from stretching beyond what the other players could achieve. guessing I'll get a few more per day caps and such, but I think I can live with that. This is only my second campaign, and I have no idea what Eberron is, other than the name of a campaign setting, lol.

Alienist
2013-07-28, 09:06 PM
Have a look at the Chameleon prestige class, specifically the floating feat at level 2. That there is a good chunk of the artificer package. E.g. if you're crafting and not doing anything else you can use the floating feat as whatever crafting feat you need.

Traditionally this is combined with a moderate investment in warlock (12 levels) for the auto-umd and ability to bypass crafting requirements.

That combo allows you to make anything except constructs and possibly relics.

I'd be careful about any additional limitations your DM adds. Artificers are supposed to be better at artificing than other classes, that's what they do.

If you do go Artificer the best thing you can get at level 7+ is a custom item with this Bard spell baked in: Magic Savant

It will let you take 10 on UMD which is an absolute godsend for this class. (Alternately, you could dip 4 levels of Warlock...)

However, making magic items is a good way to break the economy of the game. Making custom magic items is a dark path that once you go down it, it is very easy to break the whole game, not just the economy. If your DM isn't nervous, they should be.

Artificer is a class teetering on the knife-blade of brokenness. A slight tweak here or there and it can easily become unusable. On the other side of the knife's edge lies a campaign in tatters and ruins.