PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Hordeficer questions

DementedFellow
2013-07-26, 01:02 AM
Let's say I have the feat that reduces gold cost on creating magic items by 25%.

1) Would it count for craft homunculus/golem?

2) I'll be starting level 5. I could create a homunculus with 3 HD, by paying 2000 gold for each additional hit die. Swanky! Would the total cost be reduced by 25% or is this additional cost a separate affair.

3) I'm aware that creating constructs and homunculi have non-standard XP costs. But when adding hit dice, should I try to extrapolate whatever the additional XP would be or should I just stop over-thinking it and just assume if additional XP was needed, it would have been included?

4) I see people taking about how a dedicated wright will make stuff for you while you are off adventurizing. That's great! However these posters say that the dedicated wrights use the master's skills when making the item. The stat-block and text accompanying the dedicated wright doesn't seem to reflect this. Where am I to find such text?

Mnemnosyne
2013-07-26, 01:52 AM
In response to number 4, a dedicated wright doesn't use the owner's skills because no skills are used in magical item creation - other than UMD to emulate the requirements of the item, which the description mentions. If you want normal crafting, you'll need to use the unseen crafter spell/infusion, which lasts 1 day/level and specifically uses the caster's craft skill checks and is able to take 10 if so desired.

Note also that unseen crafter is a really nice substitute for unseen servant in general situations: the description of the spell specifically notes that it functions just like unseen servant except it can also be assigned a crafting task. If you don't assign it a crafting task, what you have is effectively an unseen servant that lasts 1 day/level.

As far as number 3, yeah; if additional xp was needed, it would have been included. The information about adding extra HD to a homunculus says nothing about expending xp, so you don't.