PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Optimizing rogue-ish ranger/master craftsman

Unbalanced
2013-07-26, 02:25 AM
Hey guys, currently playing my first PF campaign.
We're playing a very characterful campaign. No pressure on power. Completely open-world. Very Skyrim-esque in play style.
DM is very encouraging for us to take the initiative to grow ourselves and follow our own goals, however there is a main plotline for us to follow if we wish to.

So, down to business!
I've got a ranger which I've only just now decided I want to pursue being a master craftsman. Need to continue advancing my archery abilities (planned to be my primary form of offense) and trap finding/disabling abilities (I'm essentially the team's rogue - though not a great one) while also picking up necessary feats and skills to become a master craftsman.

Keeping in mind the 1st 2 levels are already done and locked in. Where should I go from here to hone crafting AND archery??

Human (dual talent)
Ranger (trapper)

STR 17 (+2)
DEX 17 (+2)
CON 12
INT 12
WIS 12
CHA 8

SKILLS: Craft (armour), disable device, handle animal,
knowledge (nature), perception, profession (farming),
stealth, survival.

Level 1-
Attack: +4 melee (BAB +1, Str +3) & +4 ranged (BAB +2, Dex +3)
Damage: 2D4+4 (Scythe) & 1D8 (Longbow)
AC: +5 (Leather armour +2, Dex +3)
Saves: Fort +2(+1), Ref +2(+3), Will +0(+1)
Ranger: Favoured enemy (animal), track, wild empathy, trapfinding
Feat: Quickdraw

Level 2-
Attack: +5 melee (BAB +2, Str +3) & +5 ranged (BAB +2, Dex +3)
Saves: Fort +3(+1), Ref +3(+3), Will +0(+1)
Ranger: Combat style feat (Precise Shot)

avr
2013-07-26, 03:24 AM
You've got a problem. First, archery is feat intensive, and making magic items takes feats also. Second, your archetype traded away spellcasting, so you've either got to spend another feat on Master craftsman (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/master-craftsman---final) or multiclass to a spellcasting class, which your ability scores might make less than desirable.

If you don't want to multiclass but you want to pursue crafting anyway, then you might take these feats: 3 - Point Blank Shot, 5 - Master Craftsman, 6(Combat Style) - Manyshot, 7 - Craft Magic Arms and Armor, 9 - Rapid Shot.

Unbalanced
2013-07-26, 03:42 AM
You've got a problem. First, archery is feat intensive, and making magic items takes feats also. Second, your archetype traded away spellcasting, so you've either got to spend another feat on Master craftsman (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/master-craftsman---final) or multiclass to a spellcasting class, which your ability scores might make less than desirable.

If you don't want to multiclass but you want to pursue crafting anyway, then you might take these feats: 3 - Point Blank Shot, 5 - Master Craftsman, 6(Combat Style) - Manyshot, 7 - Craft Magic Arms and Armor, 9 - Rapid Shot.

Thanks, that's really what I needed to help me plan out some levels.

Definitely don't want to multiclass and definitely intend to pickup the Master Craftsman feat (most likely at level 5).
DM is keen to see it happen aswell so he may be willing to bend the rules or open up a story feat to help me make it work without being quite so feat intensive.

Unbalanced
2013-07-26, 05:44 PM
DM is keen to see it happen aswell so he may be willing to bend the rules or open up a story feat to help me make it work without being quite so feat intensive.

Spoke to DM today and he's happy to open up a story feat to me if I find an appropriate trainer/mentor and succeed in my training challenges that I can pick up Master Craftsman and Craft Magic Arms and Armor but only for use with one particular material. He's also happy to combine skin and bone into one category.
So looks like I've got my level 5 feat sorted :P

Also going to stop investing ranks in Profession (farming) as I'm no longer farming, I simply came from that background, and now will invest those ranks into Craft (bows & arrows) as well as sacrificing some ranks from handle animal.

Unbalanced
2013-07-27, 07:32 PM
Spoke to DM today and he's happy to open up a story feat to me if I find an appropriate trainer/mentor and succeed in my training challenges that I can pick up Master Craftsman and Craft Magic Arms and Armor but only for use with one particular material. He's also happy to combine skin and bone into one category.
So looks like I've got my level 5 feat sorted :P

So I think I've got it all sorted...
What do you think? Should be a decent character??

Revised character plan:

Level 1-
Attack: +4 (BAB +1, Str +3)
Saves: Fort +2(+1), Ref +2(+3), Will +0(+1)
Ranger: Favoured enemy (animal), track, wild empathy, trapfinding
Feat: Quickdraw

Level 2-
Attack: +5 melee (BAB +2, Str +3) & +5 ranged (BAB +2, Dex +3)
Saves: Fort +3(+1), Ref +3(+3), Will +0(+1)
Ranger: Combat style feat (Precise Shot)

Level 3-
Attack: +6 melee (BAB +3, Str +3) & +6 ranged (BAB +3, Dex +3)
Saves: Fort +3(+1), Ref +3(+3), Will +1(+1)
Ranger: Endurance, favoured terrain (Desert)
Feat: Point-blank shot

Level 4-
+1 DEX
Attack: +7 melee (BAB +4, Str +3) & +8 ranged (BAB +4, Dex +4)
AC: +6 (Leather armour +2, Dex +4)
Saves: Fort +4(+1), Ref +4(+4), Will +1(+1)
Ranger: Hunter's bond (animal companion - ????)

Level 5-
Attack: +8 melee (BAB +5, Str +3) & +9 ranged (BAB +5, Dex +4)
Damage: 2D4+4 (Scythe) & 1D8+2 (Composite longbow +2)
Saves: Fort +4(+1), Ref +4(+4), Will +1(+1)
Ranger: Favoured enemy (dragon), Trap (Snare trap & Fire trap)
Feat: Material master (skin & bone)
Note: Material master (story feat)- When crafting with the selected material you can act as if you have both the Master Craftsman and Craft Magic Arms and Armour feats

Level 6-
Attack: +9/+4 melee (BAB +6/+1, Str +3) & +10/+5 ranged (BAB +6/+1, Dex +4)
Damage: 2D4+4 (Scythe) & 1D8+3 (Composite longbow +3)
Saves: Fort +5(+1), Ref +5(+4), Will +2(+1)
Ranger: Combat style feat (Point blank master)

Level 7-
Attack: +10/+5 melee (BAB +7/+2, Str +3) & +12/+7 ranged (BAB +7/+2, Dex +4, Weapon focus +1)
Damage: 2D4+4 (Scythe) & 1D8+3 (Composite longbow +3)
Saves: Fort +4(+1), Ref +4(+4), Will +2(+1)
Ranger: Woodland stride, Trap (Burning trap)
Feat: Weapon focus (composite longbow)

Level 8-
+1 STR
Attack: +12/+7 melee (BAB +8/+3, Str +4) & +13/+8 ranged (BAB +8/+3, Dex +4, Weapon focus +1)
Damage: 2D4+6 (Scythe) & 1D8+3 (Composite longbow +3)
Saves: Fort +6(+1), Ref +6(+4), Will +2(+1)
Ranger: Swift tracker, Favoured terrain (Underground)

Level 9-
Attack: +13/+8 melee (BAB +9/+4, Str +4) & +14/+9 ranged (BAB +9/+4, Dex +4, Weapon focus +1)
Damage: 2D4+6 (Scythe) & 1D8+3 (Composite longbow +3)
Saves: Fort +6(+1), Ref +6(+4), Will +3(+1)
Ranger: Evasion, Trap (Exploding trap)
Feat: Deadly aim

Level 10-
Attack: +14/+9 melee (BAB +10/+5, Str +4) & +15/+10 ranged (BAB +10/+5, Dex +4, Weapon focus +1)
Damage: 2D4+6 (Scythe) & 1D8+3 (Composite arrow +3)
AC: +8 (Hide armour +4, Dex +4)
Saves: Fort +7(+1), Ref +7(+4), Will +3(+1)
Ranger: Favoured enemy (vermin), Combat style feat (many shot)

avr
2013-07-27, 09:13 PM
You're planning to spend a second feat dealing with the situation "I'm in melee and I can't 5' step away, and I don't want to take an AoO". i.e. since you've got Quick Draw already I wouldn't take Point Blank Master. If you're more worried about hitting take Improved Precise Shot as the L6 combat style, if you want more damage get Manyshot.

Deadly Aim is a nicer feat to have than Weapon Focus generally speaking, you might like to reverse the order you get those in.

Unbalanced
2013-07-27, 10:08 PM
You're planning to spend a second feat dealing with the situation "I'm in melee and I can't 5' step away, and I don't want to take an AoO". i.e. since you've got Quick Draw already I wouldn't take Point Blank Master. If you're more worried about hitting take Improved Precise Shot as the L6 combat style, if you want more damage get Manyshot.

Deadly Aim is a nicer feat to have than Weapon Focus generally speaking, you might like to reverse the order you get those in.

Both very good suggestions, thanks.
Then past level 10 I might concentrate on the snap shot feat chain.
Or perhaps still pickup Craft Magic Arms and Armour, as we will have a druid in the team who could contribute the spells to my crafting when I'm not using my preferred materials.