PDA

View Full Version : Noob Bard questions

Martial_law
2013-07-26, 03:05 AM
for fascinate, I get 1 person @ 1st, and then an additional every 3 levels beyond. Does that mean I get another at 4,7,10 or 3,6,9?

Can I store my spells as "songs" in a "songbook" similar to a wizard to increase capacity?

Whats a tactically good perform skill? Im thinking keep it simple stupid and go with singing, thoughts?

Martial_law
2013-07-26, 03:06 AM
Any items to boost my effective bard lvl or super pump me similar to a monk belt?

Splendor
2013-07-26, 03:20 AM
Fascinate: 4,7,10 (PHB 29)

Storing Songs? No, think sorcerer not wizard.

Good Perform skill? Sing, you can sing and then still use weapons in combat because your hands are free.

Boost bard level?
Inspirational Boost spell increased your inspire.
Song of the heart feat increases your inspire.
Dragon Fire Inspiration feat makes allies weapons flaming.
Badge of Valor can increase your inspire.
A harmonizing weapon increases inspire duration.
A crystal echoblade adds sonic damage equal to 1/2 your bard level when you sing.

DaltonTrigger
2013-07-26, 03:23 AM
It is worth noting that bagpipes and horns can be heard from an extreme distance, and so if you use performances that affect "every creature that can hear it" you could have a pronounced effect on large swaths of people, if you're in the sort of group where the DM cares what NPCs contribute to the plot.

Saintheart
2013-07-26, 03:52 AM
It is worth noting that bagpipes and horns can be heard from an extreme distance, and so if you use performances that affect "every creature that can hear it" you could have a pronounced effect on large swaths of people, if you're in the sort of group where the DM cares what NPCs contribute to the plot.

Either that, or you can just get the second level Bard spell Resounding Voice which specifically allows your voice to be heard up to 100 feet/CL away.

Or have the party invest in Rings of Communication, effective out to a mile away, and through which bard song still works.

Shaynythyryas
2013-07-26, 04:02 AM
Any items to boost my effective bard lvl or super pump me similar to a monk belt?

Vest of Legends brings your song level to +5;
Words of Creation lets you double your Inspiration.

There's a whole thread detailing the IC optimization here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869994/Bard_Inspire_Courage_Optimization) that can be more than useful.

Also, Bards are awesome.

DaltonTrigger
2013-07-26, 04:04 AM
Either that, or you can just get the second level Bard spell Resounding Voice which specifically allows your voice to be heard up to 100 feet/CL away.

Or have the party invest in Rings of Communication, effective out to a mile away, and through which bard song still works.

Investment of skill ranks, a spell slot, or a magical item that costs money. Pick your poison, eh? Guess it just depends on how important it is to be heard, and what's important to your campaign.

Saintheart
2013-07-26, 07:13 AM
Investment of skill ranks, a spell slot, or a magical item that costs money. Pick your poison, eh? Guess it just depends on how important it is to be heard, and what's important to your campaign.

Well, I always thought there was lots of trolling value in being able to stand about half a mile away from the rest of the party cheerleading them while being at no personal risk whatsoever :smallbiggrin:

Deophaun
2013-07-26, 08:30 AM
Whats a tactically good perform skill? Im thinking keep it simple stupid and go with singing, thoughts?
Keep in mind that very few uses of bardic music actually require a perform check. Most simply require that targets can hear you (sometimes see), so whatever Perform skill you choose is pretty open, as you can use bagpipes or drums or PA systems regardless of what you put ranks into.

That said, I think Perform (oratory) is pretty bad ass, and it's also not painfully obvious.

Shaynythyryas
2013-07-26, 08:37 AM
Technically even if the music Inspirations do not require a perform check, they do require you to have a perform rank. From there, basic logic would imply that you need said rank in a particular perform subskill to use the music with that subskill.

tldr : Logically, you need 12 ranks in Perform(dance) if you want to use Inspiration Greatness while dancing, 12 ranks in perform(sing) if you want to use it while singing.

Some DM would rule that only one type of perform is enough.
There is, anyhow, a feat that helps you work around that : Versatile Performer. It allows you to use up to (your Int bonus number) Perform skills at the level of our highest Perform.

Deophaun
2013-07-26, 08:39 AM
Technically even if the music Inspirations do not require a perform check, they do require you to have a perform rank. From there, basic logic would imply that you need said rank in a particular perform subskill to use the music with that subskill.
Fortunately, "basic logic" is not a part of RAW. There is no need to use the perform skill you trained in for your bardic music abilities.

Martial_law
2013-07-27, 12:16 AM
What is RAW?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-27, 12:28 AM
What is RAW?

RAW stands for Read As Written. Usually the most abusable way to read it.

RAI stands for Read As Intended. Usually a bad choice of words, it's closely related to RACSD (Rules As Common Sense Dictates).

Martial_law
2013-07-27, 12:47 AM
Thanks for all the great advice and links. Super Helpful.

Now I just need to find something to do with the 100k gold Im being given to outfit myself. Im thinking a Bronze codpiece, so its shiny, after that Ill take advice.

Gwendol
2013-07-27, 03:12 AM
Note that with the feat Melodic Casting you replace concentration checks with Perform, so you want that feat.

I suggest getting resounding voice in a wand when you can, and use your 2nd level spells for more useful things: alter self and glitterdust for example.

Chronos
2013-07-27, 08:26 AM
The rules also don't actually say just how far away your music can be heard without help.

For which Perform skill to pick, there are three main considerations:

Verbal skills (Sing, Oratory, and possibly Comedy) leave your hands free, to carry a weapon or magic item, or to make gestures for spells.

Musical instruments provide an easy way to boost your checks, either by being masterwork or magical, and some magic instruments that have other effects depend on making Perform checks (Lyre of Building, for example).

Dance or Mime (and conceivably Comedy) can be used silently, either when you're sneaking, or in the effect of a Silence spell.

Deophaun
2013-07-27, 08:39 AM
Regarding distance, the message spell is fantastic for a bard. You can stealth buff the party from 100 feet away through it.

Dance or Mime (and conceivably Comedy) can be used silently, either when you're sneaking, or in the effect of a Silence spell.
Problem:

Inspire Courage (Su)A bard with 3 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use song or poetics to inspire courage in his allies (including himself), bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities. To be affected, an ally must be able to hear the bard sing.
Of the 9 basic applications of bardic music, only countersong and song of freedom do not require the subjects to be able to hear the bard. (And if you have a silence effect, you don't need countersong) So Miming won't work for 7 out of the nine even when you aren't silenced.

Grayson01
2013-07-27, 07:45 PM
Of the 9 basic applications of bardic music, only countersong and song of freedom do not require the subjects to be able to hear the bard. (And if you have a silence effect, you don't need countersong) So Miming won't work for 7 out of the nine even when you aren't silenced.

What about when the enemy wizard cast Silence on the battle feild cause he has prepaired all his spells with the Silent Spell Metamagic feat?

Deophaun
2013-07-27, 07:57 PM
What about when the enemy wizard cast Silence on the battle feild cause he has prepaired all his spells with the Silent Spell Metamagic feat?
Because countersong only works against spells that have an audible effect. It doesn't matter if an enemy spellcaster has the Silent Spell Metamagic feat: you're immune to the effects of those spells if you're within an area of silence.

gorfnab
2013-07-27, 10:35 PM
These may be of use to you:
Inspire Courage Optimization Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8936)
Bard Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8686)