PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Flaw and Feat Advice

SciChronic
2013-07-26, 03:49 AM
I'm looking into building a ranged factotum (homebrew variant exchanging SLA's for maneuvers and stances), more for the fact that she will be the face and skillmonkey of the group, so i'm not looking to be an overwhelming Gnomish Quickrazor kind of factotum.

Due to my focus on being the face and skillmonkey, the majority of my gold and skill points were spent. I'm down to 8500ish gold to spend on a weapon, and all of my feats to do things regarding combat. I have a constitution score of 12 and a strength of 10 so I wanted to avoid being melee, and my low strength has led me to think of using a crossbow for crossbow sniper's 1/2 dex to damage.

I'm open to using flaws, but that can only be the ones located in UA.

So i'm looking for advice on feats, flaws, and weapon choice. ATM, my character looks like this, we're starting at ECL9:

Character:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjCgFIGwxLxxdFlkcDZDS3dDSmhqLTI5SVVQU3oxU Hc&usp=sharing

Homebrew Race:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u5SN8fEtQQmC_vxG7Rs-4jAf7ensXbUWL2MLI3EgzKo/edit?usp=sharing

Variant Class:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pFcQ_otKLAP5qr-ltbMw6lYXxH6oIbbW0nv8LHgODeI/edit?usp=sharing

The only feats i really know i'll be using are precise shot and knowledge devotion.

Gildedragon
2013-07-26, 04:23 AM
So home brew maneuvers too, or going to Bloodstorm Blade / Master thrower? If so the feat prereqs there may point you in the directions you want to go.

Flaws: vulnerable (-AC), noncombatant (-melee), inatentive (-perception skills) or one of the saving throw flaws are all viable. Innatentive is replaced with a familiar or Druid in the party.

SciChronic
2013-07-26, 04:32 AM
i'm probably just going to power through to Factotum 20, as from what i've seen, multiclassing at factotum 8 makes you strong during the Wuxia levels, you end up weaker at the high-end, and i intend on using this character for a while

Ravitiate
2013-07-26, 05:16 AM
Maneuvers and stances are not really that good on ranged attackers, you're probably better off with the standard arcane factotum too be honest - especially with your high INT.

Most maneuvers specify melee attack, so you'll be mostly restricted to boosts and counters. I know someone made a homebrew Discipline that works with Ranged Weapons, since your race and class is homebrew, maybe you could get it approved?

Other than that, I think I would skip Rapid Shot, take Woodland Archer on 9 and pick up 3 FoI. Rapid Shot forces a full-round action and gives you one extra attack on one opponent which if it hits does 1d8+3-ish damage, another FoI gives you another 3 IP. Even when used for Sneak Attacks thats 3d6 damage, which averages to higher damage than another attack, and Sneak Attack isn't even the best ability you could be using your IP on.

The extra standard action 3 IP grants would be even better if you could get the homebrew discipline improved, two strikes in one round would be pretty good.

SciChronic
2013-07-26, 06:12 AM
i'm not so much looking to use strikes, but more of the boosts and untyped maneuvers like shadow jaunt, cloak of deception, iron heart surge, etc., and use stances to improve my combat (assassin stance) or improve my scouting/skillmonkey role. it has the added benefit of making my character feel like the thief that she is.

lycantrope
2013-07-26, 06:58 AM
As far as flaws go, get the ones that hurt melee more than ranged. Noncombatant for sure, the other you'd have to make a judgement call. Maybe vulnerable?

SciChronic
2013-07-30, 09:56 PM
should i take rapid reload or should i just stick with a quickloading crossbow?

current flaw choices: non-combatant (-2 melee), vulnerable (-1 AC, brings it down to 18)

current feats:
1: weapon focus(xbow, light), precise shot, point blank shot
3: knowledge devotion
6: Crossbow sniper
9: woodland archer
12: FoI
15: FoI
18: FoI

sot sure how i feel about skipping rapid shot, as Raviate forgot to include knowledge devotion damage as well, so i think the damage should average higher than the sneak attack damage that i would have gotten from the extra IP. Not sure about using FoI at all to be honest, especially since if i take rapid shot i'd only get 3 IP for 2 feats.

Splendor
2013-07-31, 04:44 AM
With a high dex and Factotum getting a good base reflex save, you could also go with 'poor reflexes'. Alu-fiends are a +5LA right?
18 dex (+4) + Base reflex save 4th level (+4) + Poor Reflexes (-3) = 5 Reflex save, still good at 4th level.

Seffbasilisk
2013-07-31, 05:28 AM
I prefer flaws that fit the character.

For example, if you're not going to be eating much (Ring of Sustenance) or you like to Mad Eye Moody it, go with Fussy. This cuts out potions as a use (aside from out of combat) and limits social interactions (where eating is a big thing.)

I personally go for Grudge-Keeper with most characters, as I carry that flaw in life, and any who strike at me, quickly become my new target.

Short Attention Span works for almost any non-rogue adventurer (who needs to take 10 or make repeated attempts anyway? If you can't pick the lock the first time, break the door down!)

SciChronic
2013-07-31, 06:11 AM
With a high dex and Factotum getting a good base reflex save, you could also go with 'poor reflexes'. Alu-fiends are a +5LA right?
18 dex (+4) + Base reflex save 4th level (+4) + Poor Reflexes (-3) = 5 Reflex save, still good at 4th level.

there's no official alu-fiend race for 3.5 so i'm using a homebrew that i designed (see signature), and ran by my DM and he's approved it.

For example, if you're not going to be eating much (Ring of Sustenance) or you like to Mad Eye Moody it, go with Fussy. This cuts out potions as a use (aside from out of combat) and limits social interactions (where eating is a big thing.)

I personally go for Grudge-Keeper with most characters, as I carry that flaw in life, and any who strike at me, quickly become my new target.

Short Attention Span works for almost any non-rogue adventurer (who needs to take 10 or make repeated attempts anyway? If you can't pick the lock the first time, break the door down!)

i'm limited to flaws in UA as i don't have any of the Dragon Mags

Skrobo
2013-07-31, 07:27 AM

Flaws are simply a way of saying "I want more feats, because REASONS". It's the worse mechanic ever designed.

SciChronic
2013-07-31, 04:48 PM
Flaws are simply a way of saying "I want more feats, because REASONS". It's the worse mechanic ever designed.

that isnt going to stop us from attempting to make it fit in with our fluff

should i take rapid reload or should i just stick with a quickloading crossbow?

current flaw choices: non-combatant (-2 melee), vulnerable (-1 AC, brings it down to 18)

current feats:
1: weapon focus(xbow, light), precise shot, point blank shot
3: knowledge devotion
6: Crossbow sniper
9: woodland archer
12: FoI
15: FoI
18: FoI

sot sure how i feel about skipping rapid shot, as Raviate forgot to include knowledge devotion damage as well, so i think the damage should average higher than the sneak attack damage that i would have gotten from the extra IP. Not sure about using FoI at all to be honest, especially since if i take rapid shot i'd only get 3 IP for 2 feats.^questions still stand

Madcrafter
2013-07-31, 06:01 PM
Honestly feat-wise for a factotum, I'd probably cut out a lot of the archery feats and put in more FoI. It gives you less constant accuracy/damage in combat, but likely higher damage over short periods (read: while the IP last, which they should for most fights), as well as offering versatility out of combat as well with your skill checks and stuff. Precise shot and Woodland archer (+PBS for pr-reqs) I would probably keep, just because the bonuses are so substantial. KnowDev too, especially if you are pumping skill points into it. But Weapon focus and Xbow sniper I'd leave off, and just get more FoI.

Also, use a bow. Obviates your concern over reloading time. Might as well use that martial weapon proficiency.

And remember, even though your strength might not be high, by using IP you can still mix it up in melee quite decently if necessary, even without being built for it.

Seffbasilisk
2013-08-01, 04:55 AM
With that limitation, I'd focus on things you don't shine at. For example, if you're going entirely ranged, then take non-combatant for a -2 to melee attacks you never want to make.

Maybe Unreactive if going first really isn't mandatory for you, heck, as the fact you can fluff it as you keep trying to talk when everyone else is drawing blade.

SciChronic
2013-08-02, 08:47 PM
current idea:
+1 quickloading light crossbow - wanted to use a hand crossbow for sleight of hand bonus and hand crossbow focus for espionage cases, but i'd need to be human and or dip rogue to fit it in.

1: precise shot, point blank shot, WF(light crossbow)
3:knowledge devotion
6:crossbow sniper
9:woodland archer
12: darkstalker
15: craven?
18: something

flaws:
noncombatant
vulnerable

feats under consideration:
EWP(hand crossbow)+hand crossbow focus
rapid reload
able sniper
penetrating shot
item familiar

want to better order the feats, but i'm unsure how to order them.

i'm suffering from wanting a lot of feats that are strong to take early, or needing to use them to fill prereqs

edit: thoughts on hand crossbow variant? if i use it i'd get a gnome sniper scope so that i can attack at up to 90' without penalty meaning i can can still sneak attack at 60'
1 precise shot, PBS, EWP(hand crossbow)
3 knowledge devotion
6 hand crossbow focus
9 crossbow sniper
12 Woodland Archer
15 craven
18 darkstalker

our campaign is starting at ECL 9, making me Factotum 7

Honestly feat-wise for a factotum, I'd probably cut out a lot of the archery feats and put in more FoI. It gives you less constant accuracy/damage in combat, but likely higher damage over short periods (read: while the IP last, which they should for most fights), as well as offering versatility out of combat as well with your skill checks and stuff. Precise shot and Woodland archer (+PBS for pr-reqs) I would probably keep, just because the bonuses are so substantial. KnowDev too, especially if you are pumping skill points into it. But Weapon focus and Xbow sniper I'd leave off, and just get more FoI.

Also, use a bow. Obviates your concern over reloading time. Might as well use that martial weapon proficiency.

And remember, even though your strength might not be high, by using IP you can still mix it up in melee quite decently if necessary, even without being built for it.

i'm looking to thematically make my character a thief/assassin who daylights and a dancer/singer who never shows her true face to anyone (see the homebrew race). So i'm looking to make sneak attacks pretty central to the damage of my factotum. While i know a lot of things are immune to sneak attacks, being the face and skillmonkey of my party, its fine if i have combat weaknesses. Crossbow sniper not only adds 1/2 dex mod to damage, it also increases my sneak attack range to 60' with crossbows, effectively putting me out of range for melee attacks to reach me in 1 round. which is important as my character is looking to be pretty squishy.