PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Reign of Winter AP help [spoilers]

CTrees
2013-07-26, 08:36 AM
My players are nearing the end of module one of the Reign of Winter aadventure path. The thing that's got me a little worried is the final boss of the module.

The module boss is a fifth level witch (Winter Witch archetype), with a goat familiar and PC wealth. The way the fight is written, RAdosek is alone in a room at the top of a tower. He first uses Summon Monster III (enhanced by a magic item) to summon 2d4 small ice elementals, then follows up with spells. When reduced to low health, he flees to the courtyard (he has the hex which grants flight) and uses a scroll to animate an ice sculpture of a dragon.

The problem is my players. It's a group of six with quite an impressive damage output. That boss does not have an impressively beefy chasis, and his initial summoning is a one round cast time. There's a fair chance the party will simply annhilate him before he can finish casting, let alone retreat to force the second stage. I don't want the primary villain of the module to go down like a chump, is what I'm saying.

It's still a low level fight (the party should have just turned level four at this point), so simply adding more witch/winter witch PrC levels has a danger of simply boosting his damage output to the "on his initiative, everyone dies" range. He needs to keep his primary class and archetype for story reasons, thouh I'm not opposed to adding dips into scondary classes. Adding allies at the outset seems hazardous, given his summoning...

I don't normally have a problem tweaking encounters, but this one has me stumped as far as how to buff it enough to be challenging without going too far and making it absurd. Suggestions?

CockroachTeaParty
2013-07-26, 10:00 AM
I'd consider having the boss have certain buff spells already casts before the fight begins. Maybe he gets warning of the PCs approach somehow. I'm not sure what his spells prepared are, but any little boost helps; miss chances, concealment, invisibility, etc. etc. can all extend his lifespan.

Alleran
2013-07-26, 10:35 AM
You can give him some free buff spells. Even Leadership to tack on a cohort (and boost him by... two levels, I think you'd need for PF?) so action economy doesn't strangle you? IIRC, most of the Paizo APs assume four players. If you have six optimised ones, then I'd definitely either boost him a level or two, or give him some more friends to help level the playing field. Alternately, you could look into giving him some (possibly already-cast to buff up) spells that counter some of the damage output of the PCs.

erikun
2013-07-26, 11:02 AM
I'm familiar with the module (I'm starting a game now), so let me see what I can recommend.

First, check the information about the teleporters in the tower. (p.43, third paragraph) Only one character can teleport at a time, and they are frozen and unable to act for 1 round while being transported. This either gives Radosek a round to start summoning the elementals (if prepared) or makes the surprise round go to waste (if not).

Also, unless you have a character who can reliably deal 50 HP damage each round, Radosek will be able to use the cauldron to summon 2d3 ice elementals even when attacked. 3-4 elementals plus the goat will likely keep the PCs busy for a round or two to allow him to start flying.

If you are still concerned, then give him a Potion of Bear Endurance, or whatever the PF equilivant is. That gives Radosek +10 HP for the fight. If he's prepared for the PCs (which will mean the command word for his teleporter has been disabled) then he's already drank the potion and waiting to use the cauldron as soon as the first PC appears.

If Radosek hasn't been alerted yet, though, I would recommend you just leave him unprepared. Yes, the fight may be "easier", but the PCs deserve to benefit if they fight smartly and don't allow the common alarm to be raised. This means they would get the potion as well as the rest of the treasure, including the Scroll of Animate Objects. I think that good and smart play (or at least lucky play) should be rewarded.

Karoht
2013-07-26, 11:23 AM
Played through book one, currently half way through book 2.

We managed to use Lytel (the talky raven outside) to get transported all the way to the crowsnest/loft area. We dealt with the keeper quickly and quietly, followed by going straight upstairs and dealing with the boss.

If your players get there first, rather than her throwing a bazillion crows at the party, ensure that one goes up and get the attention of the boss. This gives the chance for the players to potentially shoot down this messenger crow, but if they ignore it then the boss is given a legit warning.

Also, have the Goat pet deliver a Bestow Curse. Our DM did that, if not for some quick thinking which solved the problem, that would have made the fight significantly harder.

Surprisingly, after we took out the boss, the Bard on the next level down gave us MUCH more trouble.

Currently enjoying book 2, we just have one poorly performing party member making things rather difficult for us. Hopefully solved this session.

Starbuck_II
2013-07-26, 12:06 PM
My players are nearing the end of module one of the Reign of Winter aadventure path. The thing that's got me a little worried is the final boss of the module.

The module boss is a fifth level witch (Winter Witch archetype), with a goat familiar and PC wealth. The way the fight is written, RAdosek is alone in a room at the top of a tower. He first uses Summon Monster III (enhanced by a magic item) to summon 2d4 small ice elementals, then follows up with spells. When reduced to low health, he flees to the courtyard (he has the hex which grants flight) and uses a scroll to animate an ice sculpture of a dragon.

The problem is my players. It's a group of six with quite an impressive damage output. That boss does not have an impressively beefy chasis, and his initial summoning is a one round cast time. There's a fair chance the party will simply annhilate him before he can finish casting, let alone retreat to force the second stage. I don't want the primary villain of the module to go down like a chump, is what I'm saying.

It's still a low level fight (the party should have just turned level four at this point), so simply adding more witch/winter witch PrC levels has a danger of simply boosting his damage output to the "on his initiative, everyone dies" range. He needs to keep his primary class and archetype for story reasons, thouh I'm not opposed to adding dips into scondary classes. Adding allies at the outset seems hazardous, given his summoning...

I don't normally have a problem tweaking encounters, but this one has me stumped as far as how to buff it enough to be challenging without going too far and making it absurd. Suggestions?

Have you considered Words of Power?
All Words are Standard actions (unless noted, even summons).

CTrees
2013-07-26, 12:22 PM
Okay, good points on the prep time. Unless my PCs get *very* sneaky, he's definitely starting with buffs. Also the teleporter bottleneck helps; I had forgotten that. Makes me feel a little better about the odds of him dropping too quickly.

Using the goat to deliver a Bestow Curse is delightfully evil. Definitely doing that.

Hadn't really considered the words of power subsystem, solely because I'm not that familiar with it, and more importantly, neither are my players.

Karoht
2013-07-26, 02:32 PM
Using the goat to deliver a Bestow Curse is delightfully evil. Definitely doing that.Chances are good that you can get the surprise round. Remember that you can partial charge on a surprise round (any time you can only make a move or only make a standard action, look it up), and you can charge with a touch attack just to make sure it hits.
All you have to do is then pick the right person to target. Tank? Caster? Both are worth giving a 50% chance of doing nothing that round.