PDA

View Full Version : Innate powers: what can I buy?

qwertyu63
2013-07-26, 09:09 AM
I am trying to get as many effects as a part of my character (rather then as items that can be stolen) and I am curious what such things can be bought. I already know about the following:

Magical locations
Grafts (I haven't shopped for these yet)
The Manuals and Tomes for inherent bonuses

Is there anything else I've missed?

(Side note: is there anyway to enchant natural weapons? or natural armor? the character has both already.)

Psyren
2013-07-26, 09:20 AM
I forget the maximum amount (if any) but you can replace all your teeth with Teeth of Dahlver-Nar (ToM).

Have you looked at Psychoactive Skins? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#psychoactiveSkins)They are slotless and you can wear a bunch of them (only the outermost one takes effect but you can cycle them as well.)

Alleran
2013-07-26, 09:30 AM
Silthilar grafts mix with just about anything as far as graft rules go, I think. They're absurdly expensive, however. I think the worst is the chitin armour plating that gives you NA +5 for several hundred thousand gold. Fast Healing 2 from a silthilar graft is 180k, but.

Cruiser1
2013-07-26, 09:35 AM
I am trying to get as many effects as a part of my character (rather then as items that can be stolen) and I am curious what such things can be bought. I already know about the following:

Magical locations
Grafts (I haven't shopped for these yet)
The Manuals and Tomes for inherent bonuses
Magical tattoos can give you bonuses, and (like grafts) can't be stolen unless the body part is cut off. However tattoos are still vulnerable to Disjunction. Do you want to be immune to Disjunction (meaning you don't want any magic items) or just epic Rogues?

You can also buy things like Strongholds, which effectively provide you benefit outside your character. The best example is a Scroll (or better yet Powerstone, which is cheaper) of Genesis, so you can have a private demiplane (or two).

Vedhin
2013-07-26, 09:37 AM
Side note: is there anyway to enchant natural weapons? or natural armor? the character has both already.

The Necklace of Natural Weapons is at the bottom of this page (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wizards.com%2Fdefault.asp%3Fx %3Ddnd%2Ffc%2F20060707a&ei=6ojyUb3TMsbbqwHhooGoAw&usg=AFQjCNG7StZmnuPVVNeCk7A4-_942V0lbw&sig2=J1NSboGRDt8RoKjO6mi_sA&bvm=bv.49784469,d.eWU).

Also, Lords of Darkness has a few rituals that give you at will abilities. In particular, the Ritual of Shadow Walking costs 500 gp and 2,000 XP, and essentially gives you 100ft Dimension Door at will. It does cause HP and temporary Constitution damage each time you use it though.

qwertyu63
2013-07-26, 09:39 AM
Magical tattoos can give you bonuses, and (like grafts) can't be stolen unless the body part is cut off. However tattoos are still vulnerable to Disjunction. Do you want to be immune to Disjunction (meaning you don't want any magic items) or just epic Rogues?

You can also buy things like Strongholds, which effectively provide you benefit outside your character. The best example is a Scroll (or better yet Powerstone, which is cheaper) of Genesis, so you can have a private demiplane (or two).

Pretty much avoiding theft, magic is fine. Where are these tattoos?

Strongholds are a bit on the pricey side, but I'll look into them.

The Necklace of Natural Weapons is at the bottom of this page (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a).

Ok.

Alleran
2013-07-26, 10:28 AM
Also, Lords of Darkness has a few rituals that give you at will abilities. In particular, the Ritual of Shadow Walking costs 500 gp and 2,000 XP, and essentially gives you 100ft Dimension Door at will. It does cause HP and temporary Constitution damage each time you use it though.
You can also hide inside the "shadowstuff" you're teleporting through, although you take more damage by doing so. And other stuff from that book is good too.

Ritual of Honest Pain: +2 Bluff, +2 Diplomacy, +2 Handle Animal (all untyped, I think). If you lie, then spells lower than 5th level can't detect it, and you can lie freely inside a Zone of Truth. Supernatural, -2 Constitution penalty that can't be reversed. Useful for any diplomat or attempt to lie your way past trouble.

Ritual of Dark Flame: Shoot black negative energy flames. 10 foot range, 1d6/level (no cap), heals undead and causes 2 points Wisdom damage. 100gp and 1200XP (again, one time payment). Not necessarily useful on a wide scale, but if you decide to go Necropolitan and get immunity to ability damage, then you have free healing.

There are several others (Church of Bane, another Church of Cyric one and another Church of Shar one).

Savage Species also contains a number of rituals that may interest you. Add or subtract types and subtypes, plus Mantle of the Fiery Soul in Sandstorm (permanent fire subtype that can't be dispelled, since it's instantaneous). Pay a druid to cast it or UMD it from a scroll.

And while it obviously requires the DM approving them, there are Afelbain's Gems, two artifact things from Dungeon #112. One ruby, one sapphire. Grafting one into yourself grants you either the Fire or Cold subtype and a 5/day 10d6 breath weapon of that element. There's also the Black Elfstone artifact from Dragon #286 or so... but I actually wouldn't advise getting it. It'll break your campaign almost as fast as Pun-Pun.

Vedhin
2013-07-26, 11:13 AM
There's also the Black Elfstone artifact from Dragon #286 or so... but I actually wouldn't advise getting it. It'll break your campaign almost as fast as Pun-Pun.

*Looks at Black Elfstone*
So, Illithid Savant: The At-Will Item, with a side of magic item power copying?