PDA

View Full Version : Why looking down on Dungeon World?

Totally Guy
2013-07-26, 10:28 AM
I was in the D&D 5E thread and some of the ideas being thrown around were similar to those found in Dungeon World. Of course someone then suggested that others should check DW out. I don't think it was a suggestion that was received well.

What's a better way of making such a suggestion?

In what circumstances do you find such a suggestion distasteful?

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-07-26, 11:37 AM
You mean about the Bonds thing? That's an interesting (though sorta different) idea.

I think...my bound of taste is currently hovering around "that's interesting; it's like what you do in this other game, though here's what's different--it's an effective rule".

I wouldn't stand up to defend someone who said "that's interesting, but this game already did it" in a thread specifically discussing one game in particular. That's trashing the first game, no matter how much I like Game 2.

I'm more a fan of saying "that's cool, it reminds me of this game..."

Because I don't support putting one game up as a substitute for another (which is an idea I'm trying to eradicate from my way of thought). I do support putting complementary games next to one another; they're not competing against one another.

(Caveat poster: I have not yet read the thread in question.)

obryn
2013-07-26, 11:57 AM
Dungeon world is rad. It's an awesome, fun time. The game plays exactly like how you always wished D&D would play like, when you were 10.

So no looking down on it, here. It's one of my favorites, and I'm using it for interludes from my regular campaign.

-O

Barsoom
2013-07-26, 12:00 PM
I was in the D&D 5E thread and some of the ideas being thrown around were similar to those found in Dungeon World. Of course someone then suggested that others should check DW out. I don't think it was a suggestion that was received well.

What's a better way of making such a suggestion?

In what circumstances do you find such a suggestion distasteful?In a thread dedicated to game X, a suggestion worded in a way similar to "hey, play game Y instead", or "but game Y is better" would likely perceived to be distasteful. In a thread dedicated to a particular property or mechanic of games, "games X and Y both have this mechanic, but Y does is better, so play Y and not X", would be acceptable.

A better way of making a suggestion to play DW is probably to make a thread about DW.

kyoryu
2013-07-26, 01:48 PM
Well, I think that when in a thread about D&D, you say something like:

The game you want is Dungeon World.

that's not going to be received well. Whether it's intended or not, it's highly likely to come across as "your favorite game sucks, so play my favorite game."

Saying something like "Yeah, Dungeon World does some things like that. You should probably check it out, see if it gives you any ideas, or at least see how that works out in practice" will probably be better received.

valadil
2013-07-26, 02:03 PM
I haven't read the comment in question. If you want more analysis, maybe quote it here?

In what circumstances do you find such a suggestion distasteful?

I don't like these comments when they're brief to the point of being dismissive. I see them as the RPG analog to someone asking for help with a computer virus and being told to use a Mac.

It doesn't really solve anything because nobody is going to computers over a one liner in a forum somewhere. It's just fanboyism.

IMO, the right way to make this kind of suggestion is to make it clear that you're not trying to replace the OP's product of choice. "Hey, I saw some similar ideas in Dungeon World. Have you ever checked that out for inspiration?" I think that communicates what you want to say without saying "my favorite system is better than your favorite system."