PDA

View Full Version : Cheap AC boosters at low levels

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-26, 11:55 AM
I have a rogue 2/ Warblade 2 character that has really low AC (17) and while I haven't drop to negative HP yet, almost all enemies manage to get a hit or two before going down (which means I am draining my healing belt and the party cleric's spells like nobody else).

Considering I have a masterwork chain shirt, dastana, a +2 dex modifier, what can I do with 900 GP to improve my Armor class?

DustyBottoms
2013-07-26, 12:05 PM
I was going to suggest dastana to go with the chain shirt for an easy +1 but you have that already. Hmmm. Amulet of natural armor is out of the price range (2000gp for a +1) and the bracers of armor are moot since 1000gp would just take the slot of the dastana and do nothing extra for you...you probably are best off trying to get some DM fiat in "reinforcing your pants with padded leather" or some such for an extra +1 or so AC.

Get a caster to craft a wand of Shield for you?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-26, 12:07 PM
Craft wand is 3 levels away and my UMD isn't high enough to reliably activate a wand (plus I don't know if the Wizard knows Shield)

IronFist
2013-07-26, 12:26 PM
Forget about evasion and get heavier armor. A breastplate already helps.

Arael666
2013-07-26, 12:33 PM
With 900gp I really cant think of anything usefull, in magic items that is. As far as mundane goes, a masterwork/darkwood buckler will give you another +1 and no ACP.

You could ask the cleric to cast shield of faith or protection from alignment for a quick +2. Temporary PV is also good, one cast of aid will give you that, also the +1 to hit is allways welcome.

Casting those spells are better than a simple cure ligth wonds IMHO. A +2 to AC is a huge boost at lower levels, and temporary PV is almost as the same as a cure, but you have the +1 with it.

Deophaun
2013-07-26, 12:35 PM
In addition to Arael's swordsage...

What kind of spells is your wizard using? If he's using magic missile and scorching ray, ask him to switch to things like grease, glitterdust, and ray of enfeeblement.

ericgrau
2013-07-26, 12:42 PM
Masterwork buckler. Later a +1. And if you want TWF, really I wouldn't bother until greater invisibility or a ring of blinking is available in about 5-9 levels. Even then maybe not b/c you get a -2 and need to pay for 2 weapons. You get more hits before you drop or heal with a buckler. A shortbow , light crossbow, or a thrown weapon like a javelin or dart might be nice too for your round 1 sneak attack via winning initiative. Then foes don't get counter attacks until 1 round later.

For buffing rounds, if you get them, carry a few 50 gp potions of protection from evil. Don't waste a combat round on them though.

Vedhin
2013-07-26, 01:07 PM
Try a chahar-aina from Oriental Adventures. It's like a dastana, but heavier and 75gp. It stacks with armor and dastana.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-26, 01:11 PM

I am hinking on getting a Mithril Breastplate down the line, I went with the chain shirt+Dastana combo because we started at level 3 and it was the best I could afford.

With 900gp I really cant think of anything usefull, in magic items that is. As far as mundane goes, a masterwork/darkwood buckler will give you another +1 and no ACP.

You could ask the cleric to cast shield of faith or protection from alignment for a quick +2. Temporary PV is also good, one cast of aid will give you that, also the +1 to hit is allways welcome.

Casting those spells are better than a simple cure ligth wonds IMHO. A +2 to AC is a huge boost at lower levels, and temporary PV is almost as the same as a cure, but you have the +1 with it.

The cleric is rping as a new acolyte who hasn't seen combat before as such she (the character) is still learning the ropes of adventuring as such she is doing healbot for the moment , according to the player it will change as the game progresses and I trust him. Besides I like my characters as self-reliant as possible (difficult with a melee brute I agree; but thatbis part of the challenge)

In addition to Arael's swordsage...

What kind of spells is your wizard using? If he's using magic missile and scorching ray, ask him to switch to things like grease, glitterdust, and ray of enfeeblement.

The wizard is a Domain (UA) Necromancer and has been doing some utility plus debuffing, while he isn't a Batman wizard he is pulling his weight admirably.

Masterwork buckler. Later a +1. And if you want TWF, really I wouldn't bother until greater invisibility or a ring of blinking is available in about 5-9 levels. Even then maybe not b/c you get a -2 and need to pay for 2 weapons. You get more hits before you drop or heal with a buckler. A shortbow , light crossbow, or a thrown weapon like a javelin or dart might be nice too for your round 1 sneak attack via winning initiative. Then foes don't get counter attacks until 1 round later.

For buffing rounds, if you get them, carry a few 50 gp potions of protection from evil. Don't waste a combat round on them though.

The character is actually a THF, those rogue levels were feat rogue to grab some extra feats and skill points so no sneak attack for me, besides I do 't think the buckler is a good idea since Dastana give Shield bonus and they wouldn't stack.

I'm iffy on the breastplate since it is a +1 AC bonus while getting a -3 armor check penalty for 350 GP.

ericgrau
2013-07-26, 01:15 PM
Doesn't dastana explicitly stack with shields in spite of being a shield bonus though?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-26, 01:18 PM
I don't remember and I don't have my books handy at the moment, would anyone with access to the A&E guide check for me please?

Vedhin
2013-07-26, 01:21 PM
I don't remember and I don't have my books handy at the moment, would anyone with access to the A&E guide check for me please?

It does stack.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-26, 01:36 PM
Then I'll probably buy a masterwork buckler at the very least.

Svata
2013-07-26, 01:38 PM
Dastana: This pair of metal bracers can be worn in addition to some other types of armor to provide an additional armor bonus that stacks with both the foundation armor and any shield worn. You can wear dastana with padded, leather, or chain shirt armor. You need the Armor Proficiency (light) feat to wear dastana without penalty. 10 character minimum

JaronK
2013-07-26, 01:59 PM

Dastanas don't stack with Breastplates, so that wouldn't actually help at all.

A Chahar Aina would help though for an extra pip of AC.

JaronK

Gorfnod
2013-07-26, 02:05 PM
What about Vow of Poverty? Plenty of AC and it won't cost you a GP.

Darrin
2013-07-26, 02:16 PM
Hmm. Command-word activated item of fire eyes (Masters of the Wild) should cost about 900 GP. Add some smokesticks or liquid smoke (Oriental Adventures) for a 20% miss chance.

ericgrau
2013-07-26, 04:17 PM
Another trick with the buckler is that if the foe lacks AC and melee attacks, as nonbrutes tend to be, you can THF him at a -1 to hit and no buckler AC. Then if facing a different foe go right back to SAB next round. Against multiple nonbrutes before your 6th BAB, blow one of your unused move actions to unstrap the buckler and drop it.

Splendor
2013-07-28, 05:32 AM
Do you Fight Defensively? With 5 ranks in tumble you get a +3 to your AC for -4 to hit. Since your a rogue I am guessing your flanking, add Vexing flanker (which increases flanking to +4 to hit) allows you to just get +3 to your AC.