View Full Version : [PF] The Syndicate

IronFist
2013-07-26, 03:47 PM
So, I've been reading the Gentleman Bastards sequence and greatly enjoying it. I want to steal one idea from that book - an aggressive guild of mages that declares 'we are the only ones able to use magic; defy us and you die'.
This for a homebrew setting of mine, but I was wondering - how exactly would an organization like this progress? What could their tactics be? What could they offer newbie spellcasters (aside from not killing them)? This is supposed to be only for arcane magic, since religion would make it a lot more complicated.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-07-26, 07:41 PM
So, I've been reading the Gentleman Bastards sequence and greatly enjoying it. I want to steal one idea from that book - an aggressive guild of mages that declares 'we are the only ones able to use magic; defy us and you die'.

This for a homebrew setting of mine, but I was wondering - how exactly would an organization like this progress? What could their tactics be? What could they offer newbie spellcasters (aside from not killing them)? This is supposed to be only for arcane magic, since religion would make it a lot more complicated.Well if it's an arcane caster's guild, members could gain access to spellbooks and scrolls of other wizards. You could magic items or items identified by people who are experts in their field. It would also probably be the only people who are able to run schools of magic, if there are any. If there is a group of people who might fund researching spells, they would be it.

So:
- Easy access to scrolls or other wizards spellbooks (as compared to the alternative)
- Access to people who could help you make magic items
- Funding for spell research
- Access to Collegiate Arcanist prestige class, or prestige classes like it.

All that said: how does divine magic work within this perspective? Are all Paladins and Druids part of this guild, too?

IronFist
2013-07-28, 12:40 AM
No, divine magic is left to its own devices. The syndicate aims to get all arcane casters under its banner and that is hard enough already, I think.